Cost of Temporary import permits South Africa

Hank, Don't know about Canada but it's ok in the U.S.

From TSA's website:

Ammunition​

• Ammunition is prohibited in carry-on baggage, but may be transported in checked baggage.
  • Firearm magazines and ammunition clips, whether loaded or empty, must be securely boxed or included within a hard-sided case containing an unloaded firearm. Read the requirements governing the transport of ammunition in checked baggage as defined by 49 CFR 175.10 (a)(8).
  • Small arms ammunition (up to .75 caliber and shotgun shells of any gauge) must be packaged in a fiber (such as cardboard), wood, plastic, or metal box specifically designed to carry ammunition and declared to your airline.
  • Ammunition may be transported in the same hard-sided, locked case as a firearm if it has been packed as described above. You cannot use firearm magazines or clips for packing ammunition unless they completely enclose the ammunition. Firearm magazines and ammunition clips, whether loaded or empty, must be boxed or included within a hard-sided, locked case.
  • Please check with your airline for quantity limits for ammunition.
As I said above, I don't doubt you're right, @Hogpatrol - the link proves it! But there is so much contradictory information out there that it's no surprise that people don't know which way to turn to what or who to believe.

In the June/July 2022 issue of Petersen's Hunting, Craig Boddington says this about travelling with ammo:

"The rules . . . are simple and pretty much the same worldwide . . . In the United States, ammo goes in a checked bag that is separate from the firearm."

Not helpful!

Just pay a small bribe and don’t let it bug you. It’s the system there and … $20-30 USD gets you through the lines in 5 minutes.

I always carry $300-400 in $5 usd notes. Easy to cut up if there are two or three people you need to bribe. Hand 6 x 5$ and away you go.

I just had a bit of a fright. I was under the impression that bringing a couple of rifles for my trip was no problem, but someone just told me that the cost for the temporary import permit now is up to 1,000.00 Per Gun!

Is that correct?
Bad info out there!

Old thread back up to the top. Just arrived in RSA today. Had the paperwork ready and cleared my rifle o problem. Ammo in checked bag coming over. First one into police station and I was first one out. Pretty smooth if you have what they want
Bruce

last month to RSA ammo in my checked bag never looked at, 4 friends ammo in their gun cases no issue at all.

last month to RSA ammo in my checked bag never looked at, 4 friends ammo in their gun cases no issue at all.

My question is did you have a connecting flight out of Joberg or did your outfitter pick you up at the airport?

There is a lot of difference between the two.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BeMo

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you