Reaction score
Website
www.texasquail.com
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
AKC, GSPCA, SCI, NRA
Hunted
Texas, New Mexico, Colorado, Oklahoma, Kansas, N/S Dakota, Montana, Idaho, Washington, Africa
I just had a bit of a fright. I was under the impression that bringing a couple of rifles for my trip was no problem, but someone just told me that the cost for the temporary import permit now is up to 1,000.00 Per Gun!

Is that correct?

Temporary importation of firearms and ammunition into South Africa is free of charge.

See: Importation or Transiting Procedures Through Countries with Weapons & Ammunition: http://www.africahunting.com/thread...ough-countries-with-weapons-ammunition.14376/. Once on that page scroll down to the South Africa section.

If you need assistance there will be a small fee associated with that service, see:
Need help traveling to or through South Africa with your guns?: http://www.africahunting.com/thread...or-through-south-africa-with-your-guns.21340/.

Thanks ever so much guys, it's nice to be able to come here and get a direct and accurate answer.

I tried calling the consulate here in the US for the RSA and never could get a straight answer from them. The person in charge always seemed to be out of town for a few days or out to lunch.

Much appreciated.

For $1000 I would almost fly back over and do your permit for you.

I just returned a month ago and there are no fees for the import permit. That is unless you have a service take care of it for you. I did a meet and greet along with my preapproved permit and it cost me $180 which was some of the best money that I spent over there.

I did not use a permit guy but if I ever get back you can bet I will. The cost was low.

When asked for a "Cold Drink" by SAPS produce one of these with a smile on your face and your compliments:
Sparletta-Creme-Soda-330ml-5449000106322.jpg

Really unbelievable the things people will say, without any foundation whatsoever.

Unless they got confused about exchange rates and gave out a really big "tip" to those nice policemen!

Language is such a fickle thing.....

Language is such a fickle thing.....

It is funny that while they are asking you questions they have a very heavy accent and you can hardly understand them, but as you are leaving they always ask "do you have something for my friend and I" and it is as clear as a bell.

Perhaps they practice it more.

It is funny that while they are asking you questions they have a very heavy accent and you can hardly understand them, but as you are leaving they always ask "do you have something for my friend and I" and it is as clear as a bell.

try giving them one of these :K Moon:.........:E Lol:

I just had a bit of a fright. I was under the impression that bringing a couple of rifles for my trip was no problem, but someone just told me that the cost for the temporary import permit now is up to 1,000.00 Per Gun!

Is that correct?

Now, we have all assumed that you are going into RSA or Namibia. (thread title)
The wires may have been crossed with a related issue in another country.
If you are heading into Mozambique there was some concern that the Government had increased the fee to $1000.00 USD for importing a firearm.
Not sure if this one is settled at the moment.
The local Outfitters association was working on this one.

Yes, the RSA is what I meant as the destination.

Thanks again to all of you for getting me straight on that.

Good info is always appreciated!

Charles, I heard from Frans, you will be going to Moz, I just received all my gun permits yesterday, the govt has changed prices back to old price.

Charles, I heard from Frans, you will be going to Moz, I just received all my gun permits yesterday, the govt has changed prices back to old price.
Yep, I just learned of my travel plans when I talked to him today HA!

What is Moz charging now? I was going to pick up a .416 Ruger just for the buffalo hunt but he said we have access to a half dozen or more rifles for the hunt that are already in country.

I am torn. I can't afford to spend a ridiculous amount of money to carry my own rifle just for the sake of doing so and since this could very well be my one and only trip ever to Africa there's a great deal of appeal in shooting a fine double rifle for my buffalo hunt since that's absolutely the classic way of doing so.

As important for the economy as hunting is to a country like Mozambique you'd think the gov't would be trying to make it easier on foreign hunters rather than harder.

I'm definitely hoping we can get down your way while I'm there, it would be a blast just to shake hands and talk dogs for a bit if nothing else.

This is an old thread but worthy of bringing back up for at least this reason.

When I was leaving the "girl" who were checking my paperwork on the guns at check in decided suddenly that the ammunition, still packed exactly as it was when I arrived (missing quite a few rounds though :) ) in the factory boxes packed inside of my lockable gun case decided that it should be packaged in a separate lockable case and began obviously fishing for a bribe with one of them doing her best to be "sexy" practically giving me a lap dance while trying to be coy about hiding the hand she was holding out for me to "pay up" in.

I explained several times that this is exactly the packaging I was told was required and just pretended not to catch their hints.

Finally I said if it was such a problem I would just give all the ammo to Francois and let him take it home with him to Witbank.

Finally they relented and sure enough it was just fine the way it was packaged.

I realize that paying bribes is just expected in a lot of the world but the whole thing just burns my ass like giving it a good scrubbing with sandpaper and then pouring turpentine on it.

I hope this thread is as informative and helpful to others as it has been for me. The information that can be gained on this site is just absolutely invaluable.

Thanks again all.

This was RSA? Ammo really IS to be in a seperate Ammo Box and not in the gun case.

This was RSA? Ammo really IS to be in a seperate Ammo Box and not in the gun case.
@shootist~

That's generally correct, and the South African rules do clearly state that. However, SAA and other airlines also belong to IATA which has rules of its own.

However, there can be exceptions. If you look at the IATA baggage rules (https://www.iata.org/contentassets/...cument-on-baggage-standards-for-interline.pdf) you will see that where passengers take multiple airlines, it must be clear which airline's baggage rules apply. If there are differences, the passenger doesn't have to comply with all of the different rules, which might well be impossible.

For example, in North America, ammunition is supposed to be packed with checked baggage, and not in a separate case of its own (although many airlines will allow you to do that, but that bag or case has to meet certain requirements). And yes, even in North America, ammunition cannot be packed in the same case as the firearm.

To solve the problems which might arise from conflicting rules, IATA came up with Resolution 302 (see the link above) which defines the Most Significant Carrier for each itinerary where more than one airline is involved. Where an itinerary starts in North America and ends in South Africa after connecting in JNB, for example, the Most Significant carrier will virtually always be the one which took the passenger over the ocean. And it is the baggage rules of the Most Significant Carrier which apply to the entire journey. Even if a leg of that journey is entirely within another country.

So, for example, when I was told by the check-in agent at JNB that my ammunition could not be in my checked bag after having arrived in JNB on Qatar and transferring to Airline for Kimberley, she was wrong. Qatar was the Most Significant Carrier and its baggage rules applied to my entire journey.

There are exceptions to these rules, two of which are:

1. All of your flights have to be on the same itinerary for the IATA Most Significant Carrier rules to apply. If you arrive in JNB on one ticket and your next flight is on another ticket, then that second airline can apply its rules to you.

2. If there are applicable legal requirements regarding the handling of firearms and ammunition (as there are in the UK, for example), then the law wins.

The problem is that none of this helps when you're talking to someone who is not always right but never in doubt. That's where you can argue, and you might win, or you can "grease the skids", so to speak, and get on with your life. Unlike @WildRose, I don't get terribly offended when I'm being asked for a bribe. I just look at it as a tip - to ensure prompt service - and get on my way.

So while you're generally right that the ammunition can't go in the gun case (although that's how I solved my problem), it can also go in other checked luggage.

Attachments

• guidance-document-on-baggage-standards-for-interline.pdf
    459 KB · Views: 197
And yes, even in North America, ammunition cannot be packed in the same case as the firearm.
Hank, Don't know about Canada but it's ok in the U.S.

From TSA's website:

Ammunition​

• Ammunition is prohibited in carry-on baggage, but may be transported in checked baggage.
  • Firearm magazines and ammunition clips, whether loaded or empty, must be securely boxed or included within a hard-sided case containing an unloaded firearm. Read the requirements governing the transport of ammunition in checked baggage as defined by 49 CFR 175.10 (a)(8).
  • Small arms ammunition (up to .75 caliber and shotgun shells of any gauge) must be packaged in a fiber (such as cardboard), wood, plastic, or metal box specifically designed to carry ammunition and declared to your airline.
  • Ammunition may be transported in the same hard-sided, locked case as a firearm if it has been packed as described above. You cannot use firearm magazines or clips for packing ammunition unless they completely enclose the ammunition. Firearm magazines and ammunition clips, whether loaded or empty, must be boxed or included within a hard-sided, locked case.
  • Please check with your airline for quantity limits for ammunition.

Hank, Don't know about Canada but it's ok in the U.S.

From TSA's website:

Ammunition​

• Ammunition is prohibited in carry-on baggage, but may be transported in checked baggage.
  • Firearm magazines and ammunition clips, whether loaded or empty, must be securely boxed or included within a hard-sided case containing an unloaded firearm. Read the requirements governing the transport of ammunition in checked baggage as defined by 49 CFR 175.10 (a)(8).
  • Small arms ammunition (up to .75 caliber and shotgun shells of any gauge) must be packaged in a fiber (such as cardboard), wood, plastic, or metal box specifically designed to carry ammunition and declared to your airline.
  • Ammunition may be transported in the same hard-sided, locked case as a firearm if it has been packed as described above. You cannot use firearm magazines or clips for packing ammunition unless they completely enclose the ammunition. Firearm magazines and ammunition clips, whether loaded or empty, must be boxed or included within a hard-sided, locked case.
  • Please check with your airline for quantity limits for ammunition.
Thanks for the correction. It's a definite no-go here in Canada.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CharlieRiggs

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Coltwoody@me.com
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross