Hyde Hunter

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
life member NRA,CowBoy Fast Draw
please excuse me this is a little long but have not been able to get answers from United Airlines, Customs, TSA, Newark police at the airport or Gracy Travel and I do not wish to be arrested. I will be coming back from Joburg thru Newark Airport and will have been hunting with a suppressor on my rifle and when I land I will have to clear Customs and go through TSA, so my question is for anyone that has done the same thing WITH a suppressor what has your experience been. I can't find if it is legal to transition thru to my home state since New Jersey is so gun unfriendly or when they see a suppressor will I be arrested or will it just go thru, I will not be taking possession of my gun case just unlocking it for TSA to look at. on another forum a guy said I would be jailed for doing so. any help would be appreciated . Jim

I have flown through Newark. You will go with your gun through US Customs. My question is why risk it? I prefer not to take chances which could end up badly for me. The last time I traveled through I took possession of my rifle, rented a car and drove away. It was faster than trying to catch the next flight. There are also flights that arrive in and out of Newark that there is a change of airport (JFK) for connection. Good luck what ever you decide.

As long as you are NOT rechecking the firearm at the ticket counter, and it is a continuation of your original flight you should be good to go. People have gotten in trouble when they switch airlines and pick luggage up and have to re-check in at the ticket counter.

From what others have stated Newark has NOT gotten its act together regarding customs clearances for firearms and be prepared to take at least a couple of hours, so give yourself plenty of time for your connection.

Ok here are my thoughts and they are based on a conversation with my local NFA guru. If you are going to a State that does not allow ownership of suppressors, don’t chance it. I fly out of Boston, and MA is a no go for suppressors. Yes you should be covered by law for the transport thru their State, but you will be looking at delays in travel, confiscation, lawyer’s fees , and Cort date if you get a “Prudent” Leo. My take on Newark. Leaving you would be ok, baggage would be pass thru. Return is a different story. Newark would be Port of entry. You will have take possession of your bags, go thru customs and then recheck bag at airline counter, where you will have to declare firearms , then let the TSA sloths that know nothing about firearms handle your guns/suppressor. That’s where you may run into problems.
For me the risk is not worth taking.

It strikes me that since it is the US Customs that clears luggage, etc. federal, not state law applies.

Maybe consider unscrewing it and kind of hiding it in the case under the foam? I’ve travelled with guns lots and have never had anyone do anything other then look at the serial number.

I would not go through Newark or JFK reentry with a suppressor.

Maybe consider unscrewing it and kind of hiding it in the case under the foam? I’ve travelled with guns lots and have never had anyone do anything other then look at the serial number.
:oops: !!!!! In my last half dozen overseas flights from gun friendly cities, my case has been x-rayed, then inspected (to account for everything shown in the x-ray), and had the foam lifted for a swab. That sounds like the sort of recommendation that sends someone to court.

My .02, you don't want to be the random guy that gets the microscope treatment. Agree with other posters, leave the surpressor at home.

Clearing thru Ohare with a firearm your hard case is examined from top to bottom, nothing passes through without a thorough inspection with little regard of repacking or replacing those items in any Organized manner thus making it difficult to close, but who cares seems to be their attitude. For Illinois, Chicago area strict gun control the firearm supervision at Ohare is Hypocrisy in its greatest form. Firearms go unattended on a carousel open to the public or left unattended on oversized baggage belt. Then you look for customs to clear you down the hall around the corner and guess what no one there. I had to find a agent or I could have just walked out, no one notices.

... Return is a different story. Newark would be Port of entry. You will have take possession of your bags, go thru customs and then recheck bag at airline counter, where you will have to declare firearms , then let the TSA sloths that know nothing about firearms handle your guns/suppressor. That’s where you may run into problems.
For me the risk is not worth taking.
That is NOT true if following with same carrier. After customs, then TSA you just hand the luggage back to the airline. One does not need to leave the secure area and recheck the bag.

I personally would not go through Newark due to the delays at customs though.

thanks everyone for the thoughts, I think I will just leave it at home and start re-sight it in and maybe have to tweak the load as needed to keep velocity up where I want it

That is NOT true if following with same carrier. After customs, then TSA you just hand the luggage back to the airline. One does not need to leave the secure area and recheck the bag.

I personally would not go through Newark due to the delays at customs though.
Where does your firearm go for clearance and where or how do you recheck it to continue on with the same carrier

When I exited the plane in Newark the guns came in via luggage crew at the end of the hallway past the custom agents. Helpful hint, ammo case will be brought out on a cart and set at the end of the luggage belt. You follow your gun which is loaded on a cart to the custom agents. After your guns are cleared you follow the agents again to checkin.

When I exited the plane in Newark the guns came in via luggage crew at the end of the hallway past the custom agents. Helpful hint, ammo case will be brought out on a cart and set at the end of the luggage belt. You follow your gun which is loaded on a cart to the custom agents. After your guns are cleared you follow the agents again to checkin.
Thank you for the tips. I'm flying in and out of Newark in July and I'm mentally preparing myself for the bullshit lol . The only reason I'm going that route is it's a four hour drive from my house and I've got family that live 20 minutes from the airport. Hopefully it won't be a shit show lol. But I wouldn't wanna be in New Jersey with a suppressor trying to explain the law to total idiots.

Where does your firearm go for clearance and where or how do you recheck it to continue on with the same carrier
My experience has been after customs, TSA sniff check of the case, then you hand the luggage including the gun case to the airline employees to continue on to your next destination. It works that way even for those that are not having firearms being declared.

thanks everyone for the thoughts, I think I will just leave it at home and start re-sight it in and maybe have to tweak the load as needed to keep velocity up where I want it

Does your outfitter or PH have a have a suppressor that would fit your gun? Obviously would require some resighting in, but would give you a similar experience. Suppressors aren't a big deal in RSA.

I would guess most of the Newark horror stories are just that: stories. If you follow the law, are polite, and smile there should be no reason for problem. I returned to the US via Newark twice last summer and all was smooth. Planning to do so again this June. When someone states to stay away from Newark, I would ask them their first hand experiences, not what they heard.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KristineFu

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.
sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.