Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Australia/NZ
Member of
NRA, DSC
Hunted
Nam, Zam, Zim,RSA (Eastern Cape & NW), Canada, NZ, Alaska, TX, LA, MO, OH, MT, ID, WA, WY

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-11-14 at 6.33.39 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-11-14 at 6.33.39 AM.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 83
  • Screen Shot 2022-11-14 at 6.33.41 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-11-14 at 6.33.41 AM.png
    2.5 MB · Views: 85
  • Screen Shot 2022-11-14 at 6.33.44 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-11-14 at 6.33.44 AM.png
    676 KB · Views: 83
  • Screen Shot 2022-11-14 at 6.33.47 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-11-14 at 6.33.47 AM.png
    547.9 KB · Views: 77
  • Screen Shot 2022-11-14 at 6.33.50 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-11-14 at 6.33.50 AM.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 81
Interesting! In 2000, I applied for and was drawn for an antlerless elk cull hunt for the Alamosa National Wildlife Refuge. The qualification was 3 out of 5 shots in an 8" bull target at 150 yards, using NO sticks, bipods or any other support. No time limit. I first shot prone with my Browning .338WM until the scope caught my eyebrow and it bled profusely. I then shot the next two shots sitting using my sling for support. All of my first 3 shots hit in the bull and the ranger conducting the qualification was impressed. He said MANY don't qualify. But, I don't believe I could qualify with the given requirements now for this cull hunt, including the time limit and increased distance using NO support, which I'll bet IS part of the qualification process. Anyway, I was in the sixth spot and was never called to participate for that hunt.

I thought about applying but decided not to.

I know that I would have no problems since my .340 is sighted in at 250 yards I just didn't want to jump through their hoops.

I also wondered why they allow the shooters to take the carcass on a cow but not a bull all of this should be outside of the regular hunting regulations.

I thought about applying but decided not to.

I know that I would have no problems since my .340 is sighted in at 250 yards I just didn't want to jump through their hoops.

I also wondered why they allow the shooters to take the carcass on a cow but not a bull all of this should be outside of the regular hunting regulations.
The cull hunt process for mine was cow only. I'll bet it's all antlerless given the last sentence in the article. If they want to reduce the numbers, I would imagine taking out the cows would be the game plan?

That's what I think also but the way that they worded it sounds like it includes bulls.

At least to me it does

Instead of culling they could offer a drawing for elk tags followed by a closely regulated controlled hunt. If I were in charge, the quals would be very different. Those hunters blazing away off hand with no support, bipod, trigger-stix or the like, would be excluded from the hunt, not called "sharpshooters". (Hunters tired after a long day, then shooting quickly off hand, is a reciepe for wounding.) Such a hunt could make thousands of dollars for the park, salvage the meat, and put the herds back in balance. As soon as I get promoted to King, I'll straighten this out.............FWB

I’m surprised that they find most experienced elk hunters cannot get 3 shots in a 12”x14” target at 200 and 300 yards. I suppose the pressure to perform might have an impact, but that standard doesn’t seem too rigid. I suspect many people who apply aren’t as experienced as they claim to be.
I agree, though, that if a person can’t make that type of shot, he won’t be likely to make a clean kill.
@flatwater bill i agree that rather than do a cull, they should just sell 10-20 tags to good outfitters. I bet the cow tags would sell for $2000-$5000 and the bull tags could be at least $5000.

Did it give an exact figure on how many they want to cull?

It says the state has an estimated elk population of 300,000…

I know nothing about elk but I’m guessing much of that population isn’t year round?

Alamosa National Wildlife Refuge.

Thats just about 30 miles from my cabin and land... We hunt all around that area, the Monte Vista refuge area, and thew trinchera area..

We'll have to link up the next time we're making a run to our place... steaks and a beer or two are on me... :)

My daughter has a cow elk tag in utah on a private property. If you can pass their shooters course you can save $200 on the guide fee, which is already small. It’s a nice service and eliminates the goofballs that never sight in their scopes or show up with 7mm-08 ammo for their 7mm rem mags etc etc.
The park hunts are also heavily scrutinized by those who dislike hunting. So these hoops show the park’s effort at responsible and ethical hunting. Cow hunts for ELK have shown to be the best way to keep elk numbers well managed.
DC6C90D9-C844-4CB4-827E-5DB9ECE0618D.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JWayne

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you