Christensen Arms Mesa FFT 300 PRC bronze - Plains game safari rig

Canadian hunter

Reaction score
4499F559-ED45-4797-87F3-EB7749C3A92D.jpeg
B82039B1-6C78-48DD-B492-E1F9858D9C94.png

Last edited by a moderator:
I’ve had it out a few times at 100 yards only, but so far, so good! No issues or anything to complain about yet. I did swap out the bolt knob though. I didn’t care for the FFT one. It looked too much like plastic.

I almost pulled the trigger (so to speak) a couple of weeks ago on a Mesa FFT in .300WM because a LGS had and still has 20% off their Christensens and Bergaras. However, I then checked out some complaints about them on a couple of other forums. I guess Christensen uses match grade reamers during manufacturing and several guys were complaining about "sticky" bolt lift during extraction with even factory ammo. The other complaint was about their carbon wrapped barrels as far as accuracy goes but I personally wasn't looking at the carbon models. So, I don't know? I still may buy one but their tight tolerances have me hesitant?

I can’t speak on the term ‘sticky’, but I can attest to the bolt being much more stiff or stout to cycle than sticky. It does have a high tolerance. You definitely aren’t flipping this bolt up with just a finger. I’ve cycled it quite a bit like I do with all my new firearms, and perhaps it’s just in my head, but I do think it’s getting worked in. It’s still very new. I do find it more comfortable to operate with a bigger, aftermarket bolt knob than the smaller FFT stock one. I also changed out the FFT floor plate with an aluminum one. Nothing against the FFT, but if I dropped this on a hunt I’d be more confident in the aluminum than the FFT. This rifle is very accurate at 100 yards. Unfortunately I’ve only been able to shoot it at 100 yards so far. Overall I’m very happy with this rifle though. There’s just something about it overall that you get a vibe of uniqueness I suppose? It’s sleek, light and attractive, even the wife commented on its looks! I’ll attach a picture of my last 3 round grouping after sighting in, as well as the new bolt knob and aluminum floor plate.

1343183F-CD40-4754-87F2-E3D252F7D970.png
3625640D-9EFE-44EB-9F99-CABF8FA38154.jpeg

From what I understand Christensen just revamped and tightened qa recently.
I purchased a ridgeline in 300wm a couple of years ago. Would not do better than 1 1/2 inches at 100 yards.
I sent it back and had it rebarreled. It now shoots barnes 180gr ttsx well and Berger 210vldh well.
I tried some cutting edge laxer bullets and hit pressure very quick.
I think the new barrel is simply “tight” and the cutting edge bullets didn’t have the room to squeeze down like the others
People seem to either love or hate the Christensen arms rifles. I like mine but would be hesitant on buying another.
It does seem the 30cal rifles seem to have the most issues.

I purchased a ridgeline in 300wm a couple of years ago. Would not do better than 1 1/2 inches at 100 yards.
I sent it back and had it rebarreled. It now shoots barnes 180gr ttsx well and Berger 210vldh well.
I think the new barrel is simply “tight” and the cutting edge bullets didn’t have the room to squeeze down like the others
People seem to either love or hate the Christensen arms rifles. I like mine but would be hesitant on buying another.
Maybe I got lucky with mine, and hopefully it’s not luck, it’s just the standard. My hunt in Namibia this August will determine if I buy another one! If I do get another one, it’ll be a 280AI, or 7PRC.

GREAT looking rifle! I really like the bronze finish. I'm assuming you had the scope bronze cerakoted? But what's the issue with the FFT floorplate? I held one and worked the action a few times, but I guess I never paid attention to the floor plate. Don't tell me it's plastic/polycarbonate?

Maybe I got lucky with mine, and hopefully it’s not luck, it’s just the standard. My hunt in Namibia this August will determine if I buy another one! If I do get another one, it’ll be a 280AI, or 7PRC.
I doubt it’s luck.
I think Christensen is putting better/ good stuff out now. I also think the carbon barrels in 30cal was causing most of the issues.
You got a fine looking rifle. Enjoy it.
Should really smack some plains game.
I hear good reports with barnes ttsx out of the Christensen arms rifles. Both in accuracy and terminal performance

Yeah, the majority of complaints I read on the other forums were with the .30s/ .300WM, which is the cartridge I was looking at buying one in. I guess the "break in" procedure for their barrels is also somewhat range time consuming versus the Bergara where they've "polished" the chamber and barrel and no break in is required. I don't really want a Bergara though as they are heavy.

GREAT looking rifle! I really like the bronze finish. I'm assuming you had the scope bronze cerakoted? But what's the issue with the FFT floorplate? I held one and worked the action a few times, but I guess I never paid attention to the floor plate. Don't tell me it's plastic/polycarbonate?
Thank you.
There was no actual issue with the floor plate, I’m just picky! The one this model came with was FFT- ‘flash forged technology’. The stock is also made out of the FFT material which is lightweight and CA claims is also very strong. I just mostly preferred the look of the aluminum floor plate than the FFT, so that’s why I made the switch.
The scope is a Leupold Wind Plex, which is available in bronze from the factory! The rings and bases are also factory bronze made by Warne.

BB9362CE-A966-40F7-A428-692C83F34C45.jpeg

I doubt it’s luck.
I think Christensen is putting better/ good stuff out now. I also think the carbon barrels in 30cal was causing most of the issues.
You got a fine looking rifle. Enjoy it.
Should really smack some plains game.
I hear good reports with barnes ttsx out of the Christensen arms rifles. Both in accuracy and terminal performance
Thank you. I appreciate that.
I committed to the new Hornady monolithic CX bullets in their new outfitter line, but I definitely want to try the Barnes. The Barnes in 300 PRC are still harder to find up here in Canada unfortunately.

Wow! I've never seen a bronze factory scope or rings offered before. Awesome! Take it to Africa or anywhere and enjoy your hunt(s)!

I bought a handful of Mesas last year for a hunt with a bunch of my son’s friends—many of whom did not have their own rifles. I set them up with decent scopes I mostly had on hand and all of them (4) shot 3 shot groups under an inch. I was pretty impressed with them. Your’s it prettier. :). Like the color!

I bought a handful of Mesas last year for a hunt with a bunch of my son’s friends—many of whom did not have their own rifles. I set them up with decent scopes I mostly had on hand and all of them (4) shot 3 shot groups under an inch. I was pretty impressed with them. Your’s it prettier. :). Like the color!
Nice! That’s good info to hear for piece of mind. Thanks!

I almost pulled the trigger (so to speak) a couple of weeks ago on a Mesa FFT in .300WM because a LGS had and still has 20% off their Christensens and Bergaras. However, I then checked out some complaints about them on a couple of other forums. I guess Christensen uses match grade reamers during manufacturing and several guys were complaining about "sticky" bolt lift during extraction with even factory ammo. The other complaint was about their carbon wrapped barrels as far as accuracy goes but I personally wasn't looking at the carbon models. So, I don't know? I still may buy one but their tight tolerances have me hesitant?
I bought a Ridgeline in 300 WM about 2 years ago. Just got around to working a load up for it a few weeks ago. I’m using 165 Sierra tipped game king or maybe it’s game changer. They aren’t super hot, but they are near max. Getting about 3200 fps. I have not had any problems with a sticky bolt. Accuracy is consistent at .9 of an inch at 100.

Thank you. I appreciate that.
I committed to the new Hornady monolithic CX bullets in their new outfitter line, but I definitely want to try the Barnes. The Barnes in 300 PRC are still harder to find up here in Canada unfortunately.
You'll be happy with the CX.

I’ve had several Christensen rifles and they've all shot really well. I’ve been around a lot more and still haven’t seen one that won’t shoot. Here’s the first 10 shots out of the most recent, a ridgeline fft in 6.5 PRC. This type of accuracy is not uncommon.
IMG_1966.jpeg

I bought a Ridgeline in 300 WM about 2 years ago. Just got around to working a load up for it a few weeks ago. I’m using 165 Sierra tipped game king or maybe it’s game changer. They aren’t super hot, but they are near max. Getting about 3200 fps. I have not had any problems with a sticky bolt. Accuracy is consistent at .9 of an inch at 100.
Good to know!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Micheal797

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you