Ragman

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Hunted
Canada(Sask./B.C.), Namibia, RSA(Eastern Cape) USA(Texas)
in 2017 my better half expressed an interest to try hunting with moose being at the top of her wish list. She grew up in Newfoundland with her Dad, two brothers, uncles and now her niece all being moose hunters. Moose meat was a staple for them. Then she moved to Saskatchewan and missed that. Sometimes I think the fact that I often had a supply of it is what attracted her to me in the first place!
I started to put her name in to the draw system for moose in my home area in 2017 but she just couldn’t seem to get drawn. She did shoot her first whitetail that year and has gotten a buck every year since as well as a beauty mule deer buck in 2020. HOWEVER….when I checked our draw results in June this year her dream tag became reality.
Fast forward to October 1st and we were out searching for a bull. For the morning hunt we were only able to find a cow with two calves. Any of them would have been legal but she wanted a bull be it small, medium or large. So we let them be. After lunch we found another cow that had two calves with her. Except this one had a beautiful 3.5 year old bull harassing her. We watched them for a while and it was clear that she didn’t want anything to do with that horny bugger. I guessed at where I thought she was going to go so I told Tina that that was where we had to get to. We barely got to where I thought the moose would appear when the cow and calves came tearing out of the bush at a dead run. I told Tina to be ready and to concentrate on where the cow came out. About thirty seconds later the bull came busting out of the bush like a charging rhino only 30 yards away. I was yelling at her to shoot and she kept telling me that she couldn’t. The bull was almost to another bush and I figured we’d blown it when she finally shot. Turned out she was having trouble finding the moose in her scope. The bull kept running into the bush but did not come out the other side. I gave her some time to get calmed down and then we slowly made our way into the bush. To our relief there was her bull laying right in the middle of a cattail patch, stone dead. Out came her phone and she was immediately calling her Mom and brother back in Newfoundland. She got very emotional as her Dad passed away in April 2022 and I know she had really wanted to shoot a moose when he was still alive. She was actually wearing one of his jackets for luck when she shot the moose. I think he was watching it all happen!!!
IMG_5135.jpeg

IMG_5133.jpeg

IMG_5134.jpeg

IMG_5138.jpeg

IMG_5141.jpeg

IMG_5142.jpeg

She has taken a real shine to my Tikka T3 7mm RM and that is what she used on her moose. This is the 160 grain Barnes TTSX recovered under the hide on the far shoulder.
IMG_5148.jpeg

Congratulations to your wife!! Enjoy the moose, it is great table faire.

Congratulations! She sure looks happy there. I can only imagine the memories (both old and new) the hunt brought about.

Congrats and thanks for sharing!

Good for her! A wonderful memory for you both!

Go Tina. :P Cheerleader:

Congratulations.

Well done on that moose. Congratulations to your better half.

Congrats to your wife on a fine moose. Nothing better than hunting with family.

Congratulations. A 3 1/2 year old will be good eating.

Congratulations!

My brother was also drawn for moose in our home zone this year. So Friday we all met up at the parent’s house and headed out. Well Mom didn’t but Dad and my sister-in-law did! All we saw for the first few hours was a cow and calf. Near the end of the day we went to check a waterhole and caught a cow heading for a drink. Trailing 50 yards behind her was a great big broken antlered bull. I was trying to explain this to my brother who rarely hunts. He says that he doesn’t care about antlers. He was going to split the meat with Mom and and Dad and this bull had lots of it. He then calmly takes his .308 Ruger American and puts two through the bull’s boiler room like it was no big deal. The moose made it about 25 yards and was done. Did I mention this is also his first moose?
IMG_5347.jpeg

IMG_5349.jpeg

71833211218__30100825-34DD-43EB-9366-9030D53FEFE7.jpeg

IMG_6651.jpeg

IMG_2970.jpeg

Tough drag on that one. Good for him.

The mechanical help is a huge plus in a meat hunt for moose. He needs to smile just a little more. Nice moose!
Bruce

Congrats to your wife and brother on getting their first moose. Thanks for sharing the hunts.

Congratulations and Waidmannsheil! to Tina and your brother. I need lessons on moose guiding. I took a good friend who is orignally from New Brunswick on his first Saskatchewan moose hunt last week in Zone 48. All we found was one cow, and no chance at her. Moose were abundant two weeks ago, so I'm humbled and in awe of your success. So good when it all comes together.

Congratulations and Waidmannsheil! to Tina and your brother. I need lessons on moose guiding. I took a good friend who is orignally from New Brunswick on his first Saskatchewan moose hunt last week in Zone 48. All we found was one cow, and no chance at her. Moose were abundant two weeks ago, so I'm humbled and in awe of your success. So good when it all comes together.
Thank you, but there’s always a lot of luck involved. It’s also my home area and I know every inch for miles. Zone 48 is a tougher zone for sure. I got my last moose there in 2018. Found him on some wildlife lands not too far from McKague.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaribelSha

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Grat wrote on HUNTROMANIA's profile.
Hallo Marius- do you have possibilities for stags in September during the roar? Where are your hunting areas in Romania?
Africas leading outdoor and hunting filming company!
ghay wrote on No Promises's profile.
I'm about ready to pull the trigger on another rifle but would love to see your rifle first, any way you could forward a pic or two?
Thanks,
Gary [redacted]
Heym Express Safari cal .416 Rigby

Finally ready for another unforgettable adventure in Namibia with Arub Safaris.

H2863-L348464314_original.jpg
Unforgettable memories of my first hunting safari with Arub Safaris in Namibia (Khomas Hochland) !!!

Namibia.jpg
Oryx.jpg
Kudu.jpg