caliber ability

blkpowder50

AH senior member
Reaction score
What is the largest animal one would try to take with a .284 diameter/175grain A-square monlithic solid bullet
@28-2900 fps? Or slowed down to 2400?

Strictly plains game, or could it take larger animals with that heavy solid?

Im asking about capability of this caliber solid,not necessarily what the laws are about minimum caliber.

thanks for looking!

What is the largest animal one would try to take with a .284 diameter/175grain A-square monlithic solid bullet
@28-2900 fps? Or slowed down to 2400?

Strictly plains game, or could it take larger animals with that heavy solid?

Im asking about capability of this caliber solid,not necessarily what the laws are about minimum caliber.

thanks for looking!

The Monolithic Solid is for penetration only and not for expansion so the only plains game I would use if for would be the tiny ten where I wouldn't mess up the hide to much and would recommend a good quality expansion bullet for all other game. But as far as the 7mm caliber it can take all plains game from Eland on down with proper shot placement.

The Monolithic Solid is for penetration only and not for expansion so the only plains game I would use if for would be the tiny ten where I wouldn't mess up the hide to much and would recommend a good quality expansion bullet for all other game. But as far as the 7mm caliber it can take all plains game from Eland on down with proper shot placement.

Yes i was wondering since the solid was so tough if it could possibly be used on other animals like hippo or would the light weight of the bullet preclude it from penetrating enough and humanely killing the animal.
With an expanding bullet would a 7mm@3100 fps stop a lion charge?

Thank you for your input!

A 7mm could techinally kill most animals, but due to legalities and ethical considerations, I will say eland and down for plains game. I think a 7mm could put a lion or leopard down...even a croc, but I wouldn't use one on a hippo, rhino, elephant or cape buffalo even if it was legal...ethics would prevent me from considering it.

If you draw blood, that animal is yours even if you don't recover it, hunting can get very expensive.

BP

The question will be guided by the country you wish to hunt and the country's laws governing what is acceptable for game animals both dangerous and plains.

While proper shot placement is crucial to taking game, you will need to do your precision shooting on game with the country's guide lines to be legal.

Question what country will you be hunting and what animals will you be going after. When you provide the proper information for members to provide a answer we only can shoot from the hip and provide a vague answer to you.

Seems like I remember some rumors about some guy who shot many hundreds of Elephants with a 7x57 FMJ...hmmm!

Seems like I remember some rumors about some guy who shot many hundreds of Elephants with a 7x57 FMJ...hmmm!

I think we all do, it's just that he was a great shot. And who knows how many he wounded, before he got the technique down? We alway glorify a guy that killed a +1000 elephants but how many did he wound. A big reason he used a 7X57 is because of ammo availability and lets face it he was CHEAP. He said so himself. Nobody would ethically hunt a elephant with one now. I'm just laying down modern day scenerios.

I would never want to hunt elephant or rhino,hippo,buff,etc with anything less than .366 diameter due to ethical considerations,and i would actually go at least .416,just me personally. I was just curious about what people thought of its capabilities as a practical caliber. I agree,plains game and lion.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LuciaWains

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg