Bullet making dies

mgstucson

AH member
Reaction score
I recently purchased dies for making bullets for my 375H&H and my 458's (WM and LOTT). I have been making 308 bullets for my 30-06 for years. It is great not needing to depend on vendors for the bullets I need (because they are often out of stock and/or you must pay a premium.) Even my 500gr 458 bullets can be made less than $.50 each and complete rounds reloaded for between $.75 to $1.00. I can make solids, softs, round nose or spitzers in any weight I want any time I want. Die sets are around $550, or about the same as 100 rounds of commercial ammo.

Very Happy

Right you are. Sorry for the omission.

375 round nose soft point, 250gr, 223 fired brass case used as bullet jacket

375-1E-LT-1.jpg

375 solid round nose, 230gr and 330gr copper tubing jackets (requires additional dies to make copper tubing jackets)

375-1E-1.jpg

458 die set. Bullets shown are 4S spitzer ogive, shortest is made with 45acp brass as jacket. Others made from 308 brass as jacket. The bullet on far right made out of commercial jacket which can be purchased from Corbin, Center X, or Sierra, or made from metal sheet (additional dies required to make similar jackets)

458-4S-Set-2-300x234.jpg

Swaging press starting at $325 (some swaging presses can also be used for reloading, but they start at around $499)

seagirtpress.jpg

I buy my dies an presses from Richard Corbin because the quality is first rate and the prices are significantly less than other options.

So assuming you don't have any swaging gear, it'd cost from US$900 for dies and a swaging press. Add in an amount for your time and you could buy a lot of factory projectiles for the dollar equivalent. That being said, swaging your own gives you independence from the supply chain issues that seem to come into play a lot these days. That in itself may make it worthwhile.

For that special hunt I would still buy premium commercial projectiles. But the home made projectiles would be excellent for practice and less critical hunts.

How easily do 308 cases swage down to 458? Do you have to anneal them first or just trim to length and swage?

Well done man. The more we become self sufficient the better. I almost had a stroke when I bought a 1500 Fiocchi primers yesterday.

A question out of interest sake, can you bond the lead to th jackets and choose jacket thickness to make your own premium bullets as well?

I’ve bought my stuff from Richard as well.
Have not used it much but I’m about to ramp it up.
Saving money was not my goal when getting into it,but considering I bought it years ago I definitely will.
Learning,having fun and making things not available anywhere else is fun though.
Getting jackets have always been the most difficult part,but they are available.
I’ve used J4 for .308,can’t remember who made the .375’s I have.

Hunter,
True, if going from scratch, it is just under $900 for dies and press for one caliber, but you need a press for reloading anyway, plus 458 dies work for 458 Win Mag, 458 Lott and 45-70, and even pistol calibers (with inexpensive sizing dies) 45acp, 45lc, 454 cassul, 460 S&W. Then the 2nd, 3rd and 10th calibers use the same press, so the cost per caliber gets very close to $600. Now add to that the vast array of combinations of bullet weights, jacket thicknesses, tip configurations, bonded/unbonded, partitions, cannelure placement, etc. (many combinations unavailable from any commercial manufacturer) and you start to see the real value. Then there is the ability to make specialty rounds like frangible rounds for home defense or indoor ranges. This is on top of avoiding the supply chain issues and future price inflation. The swaging presses have a much shorter stroke and higher compound leverage than reloading presses, plus much longer levers, so operations like swaging 308 to 458 on a swaging press probably takes less pressure exerted on lever than full length resizing big cartridges in a reloading press. I always give myself a good hourly rate when working for myself, dang near free.

Dewald,
You can easily bond the lead to the core. There is a solution you buy for this purpose. You put a drop of the solution in the jacket, place a pre-sized lead core in the jacket and heat with a torch. The solution acts like a flux to bond the molten lead to the jacket. You then rinse these jacketed cores to remove residual solution, then put them into point form die of your choice. Brass case jackets are about .014 and up. Copper tubing jackets are about .030 and up. You can also use steel cartridge cases (wolf, etc) as jackets for solids inside a copper or brass jacket to protect rifling in bore. Commercial jackets are available in different thicknesess. Jacket making dies for making jackets from sheets of metal are pretty expensive, but can be had and jackets can be almost any thickness.

Thank you for the in depth answer.

The quality of bullets made at home can meet or exceed performance of premium commercial bullets, just like a home reloader can exceed performance of commercial ammo because in both instances, the person working at home has time to create precision round to round (weighing and inspecting every individual component, jackets, cores, etc) that is difficult or impossible to achieve with mass production environments. Nearly all benchrest shooters reload their own ammo for this reason and many swage their own bullets for the same reason. Plus the home bullet maker has many more options to adjust bullet construction for specialized performance in both shooting ballistics and terminal ballistics. Premium commercial manufacturers must consider production efficiency, logistics and marketing considerations that do not hamper the home bullet maker.

One can also use fired .22 long rifle cases to make 55 grain projectiles for .22 centerfires. To say they are explosive on varmints is a gross understatement!

Right you are. Those same 22lr jackets can be used with #12 shot to make a safety slug to greatly reduce the likelihood of over penetration in home defense scenarios. They are even MORE explosive on ground hogs. Glaser Safety Slug used to make these. The premium ammo maker Cor-Bon I believe now makes the Glaser Safety Slug, but only in the most popular calibers, probably due to market constraints. What they do make is currently out of stock, supply chain constraints. When they were available they were over $2 per round, financial constraints. I just had 44 pounds of #12 shot delivered (lifetime supply) and can duplicate that round for less than $0.20 per round (bullet, primer, powder), even with today's ridiculous primer prices (which I don't have to pay because I have a few thousand I bought at lower prices, fortunately). I, my children after I am gone, and my grandchildren after their parents are gone can make these rounds with the equipment and supplies (not to mention firearms) I will leave them, no constraints. That to me is priceless.

223 glaser safety slug.jpg

Last edited:
Right you are. Those same 22lr jackets can be used with #12 shot to make a safety slug to greatly reduce the likelihood of over penetration in home defense scenarios. They are even MORE explosive on ground hogs. Glaser Safety Slug used to make these. The premium ammo maker Cor-Bon I believe now makes the Glaser Safety Slug, but only in the most popular calibers, probably due to market constraints. What they do make is currently out of stock, supply chain constraints. When they were available they were over $2 per round, financial constraints. I just had 44 pounds of #12 shot delivered (lifetime supply) and can duplicate that round for less than $0.20 per round (bullet, primer, powder), even with today's ridiculous primer prices (which I don't have to pay because I have a few thousand I bought at lower prices, fortunately). I, my children after I am gone, and my grandchildren after their parents are gone can make these rounds with the equipment and supplies (not to mention firearms) I will leave them, no constraints. That to me is priceless.

View attachment 563513

While I don’t have any 223 rounds of that stuff, I do in a pistol rounds. I use those for indoor rounds and change out magazines once outdoors. I have to worry about going thru walls. I understand that Hornaday is making a similar round now.

I just got new dies for making jackets from rigid tubing I can make 500, 458, 416 (416 can be reduced to 411 also) from Type L 3/8" rigid tubing. Also got new dies for swaging 416 bullets. These jackets are really thick. With welded cores these things will REALLY hold together no matter what they hit.

20231110_160901.jpg

Left to Right:
-3/8" Type L tube cut to length with mini chop saw.
-Lead core seated in formed tubing jacket
-Soft point ~ 250gr
-Open tip ~ 400gr

Just thought I would post a picture of the tubing bullet jacket maker die set.

This set will make heavy jackets (.035 jacket thickness) for .510, .500, .458, and .416 caliber bullets from copper tubing used in plumbing trades and sold in lengths up to 20 feet here in the states (very reasonably priced). As a comparison, standard factory hunting and target ammunition have jacket thicknesses around .012. The set makes a basic jacket that is suitable for .510 bullets, then these basic jackets can be drawn down in caliber to any desired caliber above about .400. Just tell Richard Corbin what final calibers you require, and he can set you up. I shoot the calibers listed above, plus after forming bullets with my .416 bullet swaging dies, I draw down the finished bullets to .411 caliber for my 400 Whelen. These .411 bullets can also be used for cartridges like 405 Winchester, and 450/400 as well.

The set pictured will make jackets with jacket lengths from about 5/8" to 1-7/16" roughly, depending on caliber, in 1/8" increments. Each time you draw a jacket down in caliber, the jackets get a little longer. Going from the basic jacket all the way down to .416 with this set will increase jacket length about 1/8".

tubing JM all-parts-2.jpg

These jacket making dies and punches are used with this hand press, the Walnut Hill - 2. (older Walnut Hill - 1 presses also work. The Walnut Hill - 50, made specifically to accomodate all swaging operations as well as 50 BMG reloading tasks, will also use these dies.

walnut hill press.jpg

All dies and presses designed and hand built by Richard Corbin. He is an amazing man with encyclopedic knowledge of his craft both as a machinist and a ballistician and is quite the firearms and ammunition historian as well.

Last edited:
I toy'd with the idea of this several years ago when I got into bench rest. Some of the BR guys I got ahold of to talk to about BR reloading we're making their own projectiles. Seemed expensive at the time for what you're getting/having to do. But I totally get the idea. After all I'm a enthusiastic reloading nerd when I could just buy off the shelf like most shooters out there.

I have a lathe, a milling machine, bullet casting and reloading equipment, a unlimited supply of 6,5*55, 223 and 308 brass and this idea that this brass can be used to make jackets for bigbore bullets.

Time is a factor, but hopefully I have at least 30 more years to go :)

DMV,
Here is a sample of what benchrest shooters go through swaging their own bullets, to EXCEED quality and consistency over commercially available "premium" projectiles.

Guttorm,
I have less years, but when I got into big bore shooting and faced prices at $500 to $750 per hundred and frustrating shortages on ammo and components, that is what caused me to take the plunge on swaging my own. I would rather spend my time at the range and my money on firearms as opposed to spending a king's ransom on ammo, and/or sitting around wishing the ammo I need to develop proficiency with my big bores was available. I need to talk you out of some of your 223 and 308 brass. : )

Attachments

• Benchrest Central Information.pdf
    97.4 KB · Views: 38
I think it is a great idea. At the cost of large-bore bullets, it won't take long to recoup the investment and you'll actually be able to get them. If you consider it recreation time and your recreational alternatives will cost money, the payback time is even less.

Bert,
It is indeed recreation time, if not therapy for me. It helps me relax and is a LOT cheaper than either alternative. As a therapist for other therapists, I know exactly how much that costs. I work exclusively with my mind all week. Alternately, being able to create something tangible with my hands through a somewhat inventive and technically engaging process, that saves me money and furthers other pursuits of hunting and shooting, not to mention enjoying time with my children and grandchildren doing all of the above, priceless.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Davidjourn

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.
sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.