Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
OFAH, DSC
Hunted
South Africa, Canada, USA
I want to return to Africa again but not focus on plains game. Until recently (about 1.5 hours ago, to be exact), Buffalo hunting seemed the right idea as I could challenge myself with a choice of environments over several trips. But I wonder if a land-based hippopotamus pursuit would be a better choice. The primary factor I consider is the hunt - which will more likely allow for the best chance to immerse myself in the environment? I assume both could be exciting! Ultimately, however, it's the experience of working for it that turns my crank. I would welcome whatever insight there is at this early planning stage.

Last edited:
I want to return to Africa again but not focus on plains game. Until recently (about 1.5 hours ago, to be exact), Buffalo hunting seemed the right idea as I could challenge myself with a choice of environments over several trips. But I wonder if a land-based hippopotamus pursuit would be a better choice. The primary factor I consider is the hunt - which will more likely allow for the best chance to immerse myself in the environment? I assume both could be exciting! Ultimately, however, it's the experience of working for it that turns my crank. I would welcome whatever insight there is at this early planning stage.
Took my hippo in water but would do it on land if I were to do it again. On my buff hunt this year in Zimbabwe @Tobay458 was looking to take on on land and I was actually watching the show. In the end there wasn’t a good shooter in the group, it was exciting and in broad daylight on the shore of lake Kariba.

I've only hunted cape buffalo once and it was an forgettable adventure and would love to do it again, but the stars would have to align. Watching hippos and their behaviour in Caprivi, the Okavango and Chobe hunting one on land could be a real challenge I'm thinking as they are only on land for grazing and and come out of their water environment towards dusk so taking one could be real interesting. IMHO. Good luck pursuing your dreams.

One thing we need to understand about Hippo is that they can't stay out of the water for to long in the African Sun. You will most likely see more Hippo out of the water on a cloudy day vs a sunny day.

To find a Hippo out of the water you need to be up before sunrise or wait them out till the sun sets.
Hunting Hippo at night isn't an option in my books.

Our recent hunt for Hippo resulted in a daytime opportunity, but the wait was a brutal 6 hour sit.

We ended up shooting a bull just as the sun was going down. You can see the entrance hole behind the shoulder.

Limpopo Big Game Safaris (4) - Copy.jpg

We can assist with both, few areas can deliver the quality of an honest fairchase buff hunt in a true wilderness setting, matched with that the distinct possibility of a big hippo bull on foot on land.
Feel free to give me a shout, this is right up our alley.
If it is a case of either or, I can surely assist in that process too Regardless I would figure out what I expect from my safari and then formulate questions along those lines, and interview outfitters based on what you want.
I need to agree with IvW an old school fairchase buff hunt will be hard to beat, IMHO one should not compare the two. As they are two completely different safaris.
My best

Personally I really like hunting Hippo on land & find it very exciting, I have hunted a few, all problem animals, at night in fields & during the day in the swamp & Reeds.

As the others have said two very different hunts, I think people who have shot Hippo in the water have missed out on the full enjoyment & thrill of the hunt .

Personally I really like hunting Hippo on land & find it very exciting, I have hunted a few, all problem animals, at night in fields & during the day in the swamp & Reeds.

As the others have said two very different hunts, I think people who have shot Hippo in the water have missed out on the full enjoyment & thrill of the hunt .
I would have to agree with your summations.
My best.

Without a doubt a buffalo hunt will be the best experience. About the only time that a hippo hunt is really exciting is when things have gone to crap. Which most of the time it means that the PH has made a bugger up! Forget about some of the B.S. video that you have seen on hippo hunting.

If we can help please let me know, no fences, wilderness fair chase.

Cheers, Lon

I’d say buffalo is more exciting most of the time and the hunt is different and often more enjoyable.
hippo on land is challenging, there’s not usually much time if any to judge a good bull from an average one especially if you’re at first light and in the thickets. You may have to take what’s in front of you just because of the scenario you’re hunting in.
it is exciting however and thrilling.
I would recommend buffalo hunting first. But if you can and try hunt a hippo on land in the thickets, you will likely get a different thrill out of it to the buff hunt.

I assume that stalking a small group or solitary animal is the best experience. That was what got me thinking about stalking a hippo.

Seeing a massive herd of buffalo would be awesome, I have no doubt. But I think moving through the bush, following the tracks, not knowing where the bull was, would be more enjoyable. I suspect the client would have less to do when the hunting party was crouched down while the PH was watching a large herd for an opportunistic shot at the right bull. This is more a question than a statement.

It sounds like getting on a bachelor group of old buffalo is the hunt to consider. I welcome what others have experienced with these situations.

I assume that stalking a small group or solitary animal is the best experience. That was what got me thinking about stalking a hippo.

Seeing a massive herd of buffalo would be awesome, I have no doubt. But I think moving through the bush, following the tracks, not knowing where the bull was, would be more enjoyable. I suspect the client would have less to do when the hunting party was crouched down while the PH was watching a large herd for an opportunistic shot at the right bull. This is more a question than a statement.

It sounds like getting on a bachelor group of old buffalo is the hunt to consider. I welcome what others have experienced with these situations.
Spot on, apart from the fact that more often than not the solitary bulls will be alone or with another.

I have a simple way of deciding what to follow (let’s disregard track characteristics for now) I tend to follow 1 - 3 bulls. Encountering groups of 5 - 15 bulls together is not uncommon in our area but these groups are made up of various age groups.
More often than not the 1 - 3 bulls together will be what we want, that is what I concentrate on.

On hippo I usually do extensive scouting and isolate big bulls these bulls we then stalk in their beds, more often than not we will find these solitary bulls grazing early morning.
Bedding mid-day and starting to move just before dark again.
A completely different hunt and while there is some tracking involved more often than not it is not the process followed when buff hunting.
Once again bachelor groups are the way to go, I do not find it fun to shoot a bull out of a herd of 600 animals or a herd of any size for that matter.

My very best.

I have hunted a good handful of buffalo, and would recommend doing that hunt first. I have hunted hippo, but I did shoot it in the water. I would love to shoot a hippo on land, but I think there is some pure lock involved with that

Most of the time one tries to go after a small group (1-3) of dagga boys, track them and once close up see if any of them are shootable. One disadvantage of following herds is that the cows seem to be very diligent, and you end up bumping them over and over.

I'd also recommend buffalo over hippo. You will get your hippo if you ever decide to hunt a wild lion. ;)

I took my hippo in water, more of a 'shoot' than a hunt, on land, I think that would be pretty awesome. But having taken 7 cape buffalo, and 3 more buffalo hunts booked, I obviously prefer buffalo hunting. Like others have said, you have to catch a hippo out at night or returning to water in the very early morning, not an easy task.

I understand there are places in Tanzania where you are more likely to find hippo out of the water. I stumbled across them in late morning snoozing in the shade of grass near a small pool.
I wonder if the safari companies have stats on which is more likely to provoke a charge--hippo on land or buff where they are located?

I understand there are places in Tanzania where you are more likely to find hippo out of the water. I stumbled across them in late morning snoozing in the shade of grass near a small pool.
I wonder if the safari companies have stats on which is more likely to provoke a charge--hippo on land or buff where they are located?
My guess would be hippo

Good day Sir in my experience Buffalo never disappoint ! Hippo on land can be fun but I think you must first do your Buffalo. In my opinion buffalo rank higher than a hippo any given day!
Greetings Johan

I hunted mine at night, in Mpumalanga.

I have a video in MP4 format, no idea about how to insert it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Micheal797

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you