BRNO ZK vs CZ 550

Following.

I think in part some prefer the Brno stock.

I'm not sure on the action but maybe because it's old school.

I have a CZ550 but would like to compare the two.

I have handled a ZK in 375 and fired it, quite some years ago but from what I can remember, the stock was slimer and to me was a better fit (subjective). It also had the pop up peep sight.

Thats all my very limited experience can tell you.

From time to time I see posts by people suggesting that the CZ550 is machined from a solid billet as opposed to being cast, but if you read Gregor Woods articles he travelled to the factory and observed the casting process. He is a big fan of both the ZK and CZ rifles and does some very good comparison pieces. I have shot a ZKK 602 in 458 Lott and a CZ550 in 375. To me the big differences are the bolt shroud, safety and peep sight.

I have handled a ZK in 375 and fired it, quite some years ago but from what I can remember, the stock was slimer and to me was a better fit (subjective). It also had the pop up peep sight.

The pop up peep sights on ZKK 602 are cool . But otherwise I’m not aware of major differences . My CZ 550 Safari Classic 375 H&H and BRNO VZ 24 custom in 7mm Mauser are my go to rifles .

Out of the box, the BRNO ZKK-602 rifles in .375 Holland & Holland Magnum functioned smoother than the CZ-550 rifles in .375 Holland & Holland Magnum. As a matter of fact, it’s my favorite rifle ever to be manufactured.
IMG_1790.jpeg

Out of the box, the CZ-550 rifles in .458 Winchester Magnum functioned smoother than the BRNO ZKK-602 rifles in .458 Winchester Magnum.

The pre ‘76 BRNO ZKK-602 rifles all featured a lovely little pop-up peep sight at the back of the receiver. But variants in .458 Winchester Magnum were prone to feeding problems, due to the actions being far too large for the short .458 Winchester Magnum cartridge case. Recoil would cause cartridges to slide around inside the magazine and soft point bullet noses would invariably get damaged by repeatedly getting slammed against the magazine walls (thereby causing issues with the feeding). Fitting a spacer would cure the .458 Winchester Magnum variants from such problems. The stocks were also quite prone to splitting and so required to be rebedded with fiberglass.

The CZ-550 rifles in .375 Holland & Holland Magnum always benefitted from being taken to a competent gunsmith after purchasing the rifles straight out of the box. Feeding ramps frequently needed to be worked on, in order to smoothly feed cartridges with certain bullet profiles (esp. flat nosed solids with big meplats).

Perhaps, this will interest you.
IMG_3082.jpeg
IMG_3083.jpeg

Last edited:
Out of the box, the BRNO ZKK-602 rifles in .375 Holland & Holland Magnum functioned smoother than the CZ-550 rifles in .375 Holland & Holland Magnum.

Out of the box, the CZ-550 rifles in .458 Winchester Magnum functioned smoother than the BRNO ZKK-602 rifles in .458 Winchester Magnum.

The pre ‘76 BRNO ZKK-602 rifles all featured a lovely little pop-up peep sight at the back of the receiver. But variants in .458 Winchester Magnum were prone to feeding problems, due to the actions being far too large for the short .458 Winchester Magnum cartridge case. Recoil would cause cartridges to slide around inside the magazine and soft point bullet noses would invariably get damaged by repeatedly getting slammed against the magazine walls (thereby causing issues with the feeding). Fitting a spacer would cure the .458 Winchester Magnum variants from such problems. The stocks were also quite prone to splitting and so required to be rebedded with fiberglass.

The CZ-550 rifles in .375 Holland & Holland Magnum always benefitted from being taken to a competent gunsmith after purchasing the rifles straight out of the box. Feeding ramps frequently needed to be worked on, in order to smoothly feed cartel with certain bullet profiles (esp. flat nosed solids with big meplats).
HH
Would you agree that your comparison was more of a OEM workmanship issue than a design issue?

HH
Would you agree that your comparison was more of a OEM workmanship issue than a design issue?
Luvhunt, that’s a very accurate way to put it.

What OEM means? Pardon my ignorance!

I am lucky enough to have both, sort of. Took some quick photo's.

Top is a Brno ZKK 602 in 458 Express (it was 458 WM that was reamed to a 458 Express - longer case 3 inches compared to 2,5 of the WM and 2.8 of the Lott).

Bottom (scoped) is a CZ 550 in 416 Rigby.

Caveat, my ZKK is what I call a crossover. They started to brand it as a CZ ZKK 602 with the CZ logo but front bridge says Brno ZKK602 with a CZ logo; so not entirely an earlier version ZKK602, it does not have the peep-sight. I heard somewhere, not sure if true, that CZ used the Brno actions and made the rifle as I have or vice versa (1995 model), and only in 2008 did CZ takeover Brno.

Apart from safety and trigger difference, the Brno has better wood and a lot more refined FA, the CZ is very bulky. And for those that are wondering, yes it is rubber bolt knob cover over the standard bolt. I am trying/testing it to see if it gives a better grip and cycling, but I will be first to admit it does not look good.

IMG_9249.jpg
IMG_9251.jpg
IMG_9253.jpg
IMG_9252.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_9248.jpg
    IMG_9248.jpg
    5.5 MB · Views: 60
I own one Brno 22h in 8x57 and have another that I am in the process of buying, both were made prior to 1950.
I have also owned a 550 in the past and handling a ZKK in 375 with a custom stock. The early ones are a dream for handling and shooting. The 550 was..... okay, nice but not quite what I really liked.
The ZKK was fantastic. With custom stock it felt and handled every bit as terrific as the early Brno's.
The ZKK may yet find it's way into my safe!!

Well the little pamphlet that came with my CZ550 Safari Classic says machined from solit billet. Could be wrong, though I"ll try and find it. I love the rifle though it's been worked on by Wayne at AHR, Harlan at Triple River and Kevin Weaver of Weaver rifles. All in with scope under $3k. Not bad for a 500 Jeffery.

BD0shRU.jpg

That is the only nitpick I have about my CZ 550 FS. But then I think it is not fair to compare any full stock rifle to a pre 1925 Mannlicher Schoenauer.

I am lucky enough to have both, sort of. Took some quick photo's.

Top is a Brno ZKK 602 in 458 Express (it was 458 WM that was reamed to a 458 Express - longer case 3 inches compared to 2,5 of the WM and 2.8 of the Lott).

Bottom (scoped) is a CZ 550 in 416 Rigby.

Caveat, my ZKK is what I call a crossover. They started to brand it as a CZ ZKK 602 with the CZ logo but front bridge says Brno ZKK602 with a CZ logo; so not entirely an earlier version ZKK602, it does not have the peep-sight. I heard somewhere, not sure if true, that CZ used the Brno actions and made the rifle as I have or vice versa (1995 model), and only in 2008 did CZ takeover Brno.

Apart from safety and trigger difference, the Brno has better wood and a lot more refined FA, the CZ is very bulky. And for those that are wondering, yes it is rubber bolt knob cover over the standard bolt. I am trying/testing it to see if it gives a better grip and cycling, but I will be first to admit it does not look good.

View attachment 591016View attachment 591017View attachment 591018View attachment 591019
That knob is seriously ugly. It needs to go. That's like putting a camels bump on a thorobred.

That knob is seriously ugly. It needs to go. That's like putting a camels bump on a thorobred.
It is! I admitted as such Tried it this weekend at a shoot, at least I am not pretentious and “fake” what I have in the safe. I always looked at others and had same opinion as you have, and still have it. It will go sooner than later

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nedaalden

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.
Vonfergus wrote on JamesJ's profile.
I am interested in the Double
Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.