Bow hunt Africa

I think it is fantastic you guys hunt together. Hell I was happy my wife and son went with me.:p You guys have a good time, and post some pics.

I have Packsy doing push-ups every morning. I figure she will be so strong that she will be the one to carry out all the animals we shoot. I have challenged her to increase upper body strength so she can increase her bow pull weight. She really wants to kill a Gemsbuck. The higher pull weight on her bow would drive up the kinetic energy allowing for better penetration on a large animal.

We have shared a lot years (married 31 yrs) and it keeps getting better.
Hunting together is special.

Good one, Brick :)
I have not robin-hooded an arrow yet, but I try to do it to my husbands :)

Not bragging Packsy but I have done it too many times. That was when the old hands starting pointing out you could shoot at various aiming points! I learned slowly and expensively.

Not bragging Packsy but I have done it too many times.

LOL...and to think, I have never done it. I'm too frugal I guess. I've never felt the need to mess up a perfectly good arrow. For the record, I am a staff shooter for PSE. I can get arrows (as well as any other PSE equipment) at cost. I would be willing to pass those savings onto anyone here.

I love it Packsy! With that type of training, have you considered clutching a knife between your teeth and pouncing on a gemsbuck? You go girl! Start this challenge whenever you're ready.

Stretch, If you wanna bring Packsy to Colorado this September, our camp could use a high country elk pack animal! It would be a great way to test the person and her bow's brawniness on a bull. Just saying...

Just a question regarding this.
Does push-ups help you drawing your bow?
I have no ideas about this, but I am really crap at doing push-ups(always have been:blush:), but I am fairly strong at pulling with my arms.
I have no problems to draw and hold my 70 lbs bow at all, but considering how I am at doing push-ups, I should have big problems to draw a 40 lbs bow:p

LOL...and to think, I have never done it. I'm too frugal I guess. I've never felt the need to mess up a perfectly good arrow. For the record, I am a staff shooter for PSE. I can get arrows (as well as any other PSE equipment) at cost. I would be willing to pass those savings onto anyone here.

huckleberry, Like I said a slow learner..... :)

I am not a good enough shooter to get Robin Hoods. I only get close enough to damage the fletching on my arrows now and then...

Push ups should work great for increasing your ability to draw more weight with your bow. Think about it, a push up will work your arms, chest and back and the back muscles are the ones that you should use to properly draw and hold a bow. Properly shooting a bow with a release you should use back tension and that is where back muscles come into play.

BRICKBURN - I am with you. It is real fun to robin-hood arrows, but the initial glow wears off when the dollars start to add up. You learn real quickly to aim at different spots.

Norwegianwoods - Push-ups if done properly will help your arms,shoulder and upper back muscles which in turn help overall strength.
I found that a wrist-strap type release also helps those with limited arm strength due to the fact that you are not pulling the string with your fingers. Pull-ups will be the next exercise that I will suggest to her. Tip-When at full draw while pushing out with your bow hand squeeze your shoulder blades together and let your back muscles hold the bow weight. Proper archery form is mostly back muscle tension. It may help you to start shooting a few robin-hoods.

iamyourhuckleberry - Thanks for the invite to your Colorado elk camp. I am sure Packsy will have a comment about being a "High country elk pack animal." We are going to South Dakota for mule deer in October then it is off to Kansas for whitetails in November. Only so much vacation time for us working stiffs. As far as broad-heads I am working on changing her arrows so they are little heavier up front. She currently shoots a 3 blade 75 grain muzzy. I am going to try a G5 striker in 100 grains. That will push her FOC (front of center) to 16.4% which is a little high, but allows the total arrow weight to climb to 377 grains. As she increases bow pull weight this will improve this ratio. I am trying to give her more kinetic energy which isn't easy when one only has a draw length of only 24.5" If possible I would like for her to shoot the same broad-head I shoot. I personally have been using the G5 striker broad-heads for years with stellar results. I like the new ultra-sharp 0.030" Lutz blades and the cut on impact tip. If you use a Flat Diamond Sharpener you can hone the tip to a razor. They fly extremely well.

mudslinger - well put

Hmm - pack mule, eh. Well I am not to keen on that idea :)
I told you Stretch would have all the answers about my arrows and broad heads :) He takes care of all of that for me, I just work on getting my strength up and my weight up (bow weight that is).

Who said mule?

Packing an elk out is really just a matter of "get-r-done". At the time we hunt them, they're easy to lose to heat. The sooner they're off the mountain the better! Generally, everyone stops hunting when an elk is down. It's literally "ALL HANDS ON DECK!" The hunt resumes when the meat is in the cooler. I can assure you Packsy, I'd be the animal alongside you. You two come anytime you want. Would love to share my mountains with you! Best of luck in SD and KS!

Ok, there are essentialy four muscle groups we all need to pull a bow: deltoids, rotator cuff, traps, and scapula muscles. I'm not sure standard push-ups do much to help these mucles-other than the deltoids. Push-ups are better for helping triceps and pectoralis muscles.

Exercises better suited for bow strenghtening would include:

Front, lateral and bent over arm raises.

Tone It: Front Arm Raise
View attachment 10156
View attachment 10157

Bent over rolling
Video: How to Do a Bent Over Rowing Exercise | eHow.com
Military press
Military Press Video & Instructions Video & Instructions | Muscle & Strength
Bicep curls
Tone It: Bicep Curl

Go easy at first and try to do your training over time....avoid looking like the "Hulk" for Stretch's sake!

The Top 5 Trapezius Exercises With Dumbbells

Hey Stretch,

What bow is Packsy shooting? Have you seen PSE's 2012 Stiletto (an X-Force design to maximize speed, accuracy, and kenetic energy for shorter draw lengths-e.g. women)? One thought, add weight to the dumbbells when your wife isn't looking. You might be able to stretch her arms a tad without her knowing it.

Brick, I missed your last post. Sorry, no disrespect intended. I have been hit with a few bricks myself! It's all part of the learning process and be thankful we're still doing that!

I love it Packsy! With that type of training, have you considered clutching a knife between your teeth and pouncing on a gemsbuck? You go girl! Start this challenge whenever you're ready.

Stretch, If you wanna bring Packsy to Colorado this September, our camp could use a high country elk pack animal! It would be a great way to test the person and her bow's brawniness on a bull. Just saying...

Thanks Iamyourhuckleberry I may just take you up on that after dislocating my shoulder awhile back in a vehicle accident I need to get my draw arm back in shape.

Iamyourhuckleberry - Nice idea & links on the exercise. I have offered Packsy some of my own suggestions on how to stretch her arms. She basically said I was the dumbbell. Packsy is currently shooting a Bear Young guns Truth II. Since she is a rookie, our local Pro shop suggested she start there. I ask her if she wanted to upgrade but she says she likes her bow and is going to stick with it for now. There is a fair amount of time b4 we go to Africa so maybe she will have a new bow before then. I have seen The PSE Stiletto and I am impressed with the specs. I understand Julie Kreuter from "beyond the hunt" shoots one. Packsy is friends with Julie. I will have Packsy converse with Julie - womano to womano - chic to chic - babe to babe. I have researched the womans Mathews Passion for her. I have a friend that really likes PSE and I am a member of the Mathews cult. We go round and round about PSE vs. Mathews.

I have offered Packsy some of my own suggestions on how to stretch her arms. She basically said I was the dumbbell.

LOL...That's exactly why you shouldn't ask and do things when she's not looking. I know, it's a trust thing. But sometimes a man hasta do what a man hasta do! It's good that you have her best interest in heart.

If you do decide on a PSE, let me know. Dealer's cost is a pretty good incentive.

I shoot an X-Force Super Short (26.5"A.T.A) for both hunting and 3-D leagues. It is truly a bow to reckon with when in dedicated hands. Last night in my league, I shot a score of 362 out of a possible 384 points-21 twelves out of 32. The 32 targets (Mckenzies) ranged from 12 to 30 yards (no range finders allowed). Again the twelve rings are about the size of a quarter. Second place was taken by a Mathews shooter (sort of a catch you if I can deal). He scored 348 points. I've taught a whole lot of people to never underestimate short ATA bows. The bow is set at 64 pounds and drives a 425 grain arrow 290 fps. I have a 29" draw length.

Maybe my formula is mixed up.
You say "I shouldn't ask and do things when she's not looking" all this time I have been "looking at her then asking to do things " :)

Nice shooting Buddy!!! I'm sure the Mathew's shooter felt sorry for you. He probably threw a few shots seeing you were handicapped with a PSE.

I am currently shooting a Mathews Drenalin. (33" A.T,A) I am also set at 64 pounds shooting a 477 grain arrow at 272 fps generating 75 ft/lbs of kinetic energy. My draw length is 30.5" I am kinda tall 6'6" with a big wingspan. When I use to shoot fingers I would use full length arrows.

Thanks for the dealers cost offer on a new PSE for Packsy. I will definitely keep that in mind.

Talking about big wingspan. I am 6'2" and I use 31" DL and a bit long loop(my real DL is closer to 32" with normal loop size). I used full length arrows when I shot fingers with my old bow and I still use full length arrows now when I use loop and release.

I agree with IYHB on the exercises he listed. Also, if you really want to know exactly what muscles most do not normally use to draw a bow but should use, I have a system that I bought that will kick most peoples butt when they try to use this device when the put it on and try to draw their normal weight with it. It is called a Rip Shot and was developed by a gentleman for his friend that had shoulder surgery and was basically told he would never be able to draw or shoot his bow again. He is back to shooting again with this device. the first time i used this device, I thought I would never be able to draw my bow before i busted a gut. It takes the arm strength completely out of the drawing equation and makes you use the large back muscles like you are suppose to. It also makes the hold at full draw a lot steadier as you are using the large muscles in the back to hold rather than your arms and or shoulders. Not for everyone, but it will teach you how to properly draw, hold and use your proper back muscles.

Thanks so very much for the exercise videos and suggestions. I will incorporate those into my workout. Because I shoveled heavy, wet snow twice yesterday, I am going to take tonight off. I have always heard it is best to do an intense workout every other day. Work the muscles hard, then let them rest for a day to regenerate.
I am still a bow hunting baby, so I stick with what is working with me. I am sure Stretch will get me to upgrade my bow when I am ready. My bow is a good starter bow to make sure I like it and want to continue. Well, I think I am past that part.
I am think I will go visit the Addams Family to get stretched out on their rack. Then I will get a longer draw length. I am 5'6", so you would think I would have a longer draw length. Oh well, long legs but not so long arms. :)

Norwegianwoods - Wow you do have a wingspan! Does your knuckles drag when you walk?
I shortened my draw to 30.5" by shooting a wrist-strap type release. The release moved my anchor point forward.

mudslinger - I just watched the video for Rip shot. RIP Archery I can see where it would take some getting use to but it should allow one to draw with only back muscles. Hmm... increased strength for Packsy. With no tension on hand/arm it would eliminate punching or panic. What an interesting product. It appears you would need to wear it directly on the skin. I wonder what the effect heavy cold weather cloths would have?. They have a dealer finder on their site. There is a dealer located within 25 miles from our home. We will check it out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LavadaMacG

Latest profile posts

sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.
Vonfergus wrote on JamesJ's profile.
I am interested in the Double
Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.