Bob Nelson convinced me - 35 Whelen

20220325_171402_HDR(1).jpg

Nothing further to add after this morning's hunt.

The laminated stock was bought from Stocky's.

The kudu was shot at 150 yards +/-.

Hello. Internet has been down so no posting. Nothing further has been taken so no new Whelen pics. "Bob" got a new girlfriend and her name is "Katie." Katie is a 260 Remington. Here is a pic of one of their first dates in the veld.

Well.... The pic wont load.

Lots of kudu tonight but we couldn't find the "wonky" bull that has been targeted for culling. Shame as we saw plenty others.

All the best from the Eastern Cape.

Hello. Internet has been down so no posting. Nothing further has been taken so no new Whelen pics. "Bob" got a new girlfriend and her name is "Katie." Katie is a 260 Remington. Here is a pic of one of their first dates in the veld.

Well.... The pic wont load.

Lots of kudu tonight but we couldn't find the "wonky" bull that has been targeted for culling. Shame as we saw plenty others.

All the best from the Eastern Cape.
I got a Ruger 77mk11 stainless Laminated 260 R when they first be come available, my daughter adopted it & has bagged a lot of game with it, that was before i got a digital camera & have only got 35mm picts of her & the rifle, which i still have.

The first leg of our hunting trip has come to an end and still only the kudu and springbok. We have spent much time looking for a particular one-horned wildebeest and a wonky horned kudu bull. No such luck. The heat came in strong today along with wind and locusts. This morning no locusts, this afternoon unbelievable amounts. I think they are here to see me off.

Tomorrow we will move to Karoo Wild Safaris who also are swarmed up. I will be looking for klipspringer and Grysbok. I only have 2 short days and then it's wife time at Plettenberg Bay. She will get her wine tours and beach time.

Im not sure why I'm getting double images. Apologies

Great looking Kudu above @HuntingGold.
Glad you're enjoying your safari.

I'm a bit late to this thread but I'm a 35 Whelen addict as well. It stones everything I've shot with 59gr RL-15 & 225gr Swift A-Frames at 2680 fps out of an older Remington 700 with 22" Lilja #4 bbl.

BTW, what barrel, length, contour, twist did you go with on your Whelen?

Great looking Kudu above @HuntingGold.
Glad you're enjoying your safari.

I'm a bit late to this thread but I'm a 35 Whelen addict as well. It stones everything I've shot with 59gr RL-15 & 225gr Swift A-Frames at 2680 fps out of an older Remington 700 with 22" Lilja #4 bbl.

BTW, what barrel, length, contour, twist did you go with on your Whelen?
@450Rigby
Change over to Hogdon CFE223 instead of Re15. You will get 28,00 to 2,900fps out of your 225s and also get 2,700fps with the 250s.
Good to have another Whelen tragic on board
Bob

@450Rigby
Change over to Hogdon CFE223 instead of Re15. You will get 28,00 to 2,900fps out of your 225s and also get 2,700fps with the 250s.
Good to have another Whelen tragic on board
Bob
Bob, thank you for the advice. I'll see if I can locate some CFE223. There's something about that 225gr Swift A-Frame....it seems to open well on varmints to elk sized game & holds together very well...as far as I know. I've never recovered one.

I haven't tried the 200gr Core-Lokt bullet but it appears to be stoning those plains game pretty well thus far.

Not to hijack the thread (I'm new here & don't want to burn any bridges) but what would be your starting load with CFE223 & 225gr Accubonds?

I've got an older Ruger 77 tang safety with Brown Precision stock & a 22" Shilen #4 bbl. I need to get it broke in soon.

The first leg of our hunting trip has come to an end and still only the kudu and springbok. We have spent much time looking for a particular one-horned wildebeest and a wonky horned kudu bull. No such luck. The heat came in strong today along with wind and locusts. This morning no locusts, this afternoon unbelievable amounts. I think they are here to see me off.

Tomorrow we will move to Karoo Wild Safaris who also are swarmed up. I will be looking for klipspringer and Grysbok. I only have 2 short days and then it's wife time at Plettenberg Bay. She will get her wine tours and beach time.
Locusts? Wow!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wertyt

Latest profile posts

ghay wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Is this rifle sold? If not what is the weight of it and do you know if there is enough difference in diameter between the 35W and the 9.3 to allow for a rebore to a 9.3x62 which is what I am after?
Thanks,
Gary (Just down the road in Springfield)
Woods wrote on Hunter-Habib's profile.
Forgive me if this is the incorrect area, I signed up to this forum just now because I wanted to be on the list to purchase a copy of your autobiography. Please feel free to pass my information along to whomever is selling. Thank you so much. I look forward to it!
I like the Tillie in my picture. They are supposed to fit loose (2 fingers inside hat band), have mesh for cooling, and hold their shape after washing.
SSG Joe wrote on piratensafaris's profile.
From one newbie to another, Welcome aboard!
BLAAUWKRANTZ safaris wrote on Greylin's profile.
We have just completed a group hunt with guys from North Carolina, please feel free to contact the organizers of the group, Auburn at auburn@opextechnologies.com or Courtney at courtney@opextechnologies.com Please visit our website www.blaauwkrantz.com and email me at zanidixie@gmail.com
Zani