Bird Hunting Pictures

TrapperErick

AH member
Reaction score
Media
Once again nit sure if this is where to post these but thought I would share some pictures of my dogs and some birds we shoot here in Maine.

10_09_23_2.jpg
merlin_woodcock.jpg
Braque_and_woodcock.jpg
Jaegar20142 (1).JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for sharing. Great to see birds and bird dogs. I shoot a British double with 2-inch chambers for this type of hunting. I could put all my rifles down for good and do more of this type of hunting going forward.

I feel the same. I spend most of my time during deer season out with the dogs chasing grouse and woodcock. I hunt with a German SxS in 16 gauge. I shoot nothing but 2.5" low pressure stuff through it. I did have the chokes opened to skeet I and skeet II.

I am seriously considering selling one of my rifles to fund another shotgun purchase. I have been looking at some nice British doubles in 16 that look like they would be a joy to carry.

Good story. I had an old Purdey 2.5-inch 16 gauge that was a real killer. I sold it along with many of my guns when I learned of advanced cancer and did not want my wife getting stuck with trying to sell them. I made a miraculous recovery and am even able to resume hunting the mountains now. But I miss that old 16. Before I sold it, a friend invited me to a clay shoot at his club, and I clearly misunderstood what was going on. It was a trap shoot, and there I was with that SXS 16 attracting all the funny looks. At best I am a so-so shot with a shotgun having carried many rifle handling habits to the shotgun sports. And there everybody was with their target guns, towels, and shooting accessories but the Purdy 16 broke 24 of 25. I spent 6 years working in London and became quite an Anglophile where doubles are concerned. You'll not be disappointed if you can find the right British double 16.

Monday's morning hunt. Limit of five honkers in nine shots. Two of the birds had to be double tapped as they fell. Cripples falling in standing corn are almost always lost. One additional honker recovered after folding in mid air and flew off. No flock shooting. Cheap Walmart Winchester shells did the job. All but the one that flew off were dead when they hit the ground.
20231016_104225.jpg
20231017_185728.jpg

Sweet. I see that the Humpback did yeoman's work, too.

Some of my bird hunts over the years.
FB_IMG_1683320562516.jpg
IMG-20230711-WA0087.jpg
FB_IMG_1692265635054_01.jpg
received_205555419161391.jpeg

My current shotgun of choice is a 12 gauge 3" Magnum Beretta Model 626E boxlock ejector with 30" barrels (a fully choked left & a half choked right).
IMG-20220308-WA0014.jpg
IMG-20220308-WA0017.jpg

Here's my best bud. Super soft mouthed and will hold a retrieved bird until the end of time, or I take it. Nothing better to me than watching a hunting dog work, whether it be little heat seeking missiles on a bear or cat, or a pointer or flusher on winged demons- gets me amped!
Screenshot_20221226_201958_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20221203-114448_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20220630-161810_Gallery.jpg

4 part.jpg

^ these ended up as some delicious sausage rolls

bird dog.jpg

hen.jpg

^ she is dead - just a bit stiff from the cold

2 dogs.jpg

Partridge, Quail & Pheasant not far from home.

Guns are nothing fancy, Beretta SP 20ga and Browning B525 12ga.

German and English Pointers ... don't mention the war :ROFLMAO:

I've just dropped a pair of pheasants to the taxidermist - he does great work.

mounted ph .jpg

Attachments

• hen.jpg
    hen.jpg
    452.9 KB · Views: 50
View attachment 564339
^ these ended up as some delicious sausage rolls

View attachment 564344

View attachment 564349
^ she is dead - just a bit stiff from the cold

View attachment 564346

Partridge, Quail & Pheasant not far from home.

Guns are nothing fancy, Beretta SP 20ga and Browning B525 12ga.

German and English Pointers ... don't mention the war :ROFLMAO:

I've just dropped a pair of pheasants to the taxidermist - he does great work.

View attachment 564347
I have the same team of dogs. The Axis and the Allies. Sometimes mine get along about as good.

I have the same team of dogs. The Axis and the Allies. Sometimes mine get along about as good.

The two in my photo have put aside their nations past 'differences' and are now good NATO buddies.

Here are a few from some recent goose hunting...
1697664282435.png

1697664108628.png

1697664159958.png

Three species in one day-chukars, sharptail grouse and a Hungarian partridge I took at the end of the day. My lab Rossi and a browning 16 gauge. Earlier in the month a pretty red phase ruffed grouse.
IMG_8332.jpeg
IMG_8328.jpeg
IMG_8280.jpeg

Here are some of my long gone Yellow Lab Savannah. She was a great companion and hunter. These were taken in South Dakota.

IMG_1321.jpeg

IMG_1287.jpeg

IMG_1349.jpeg

Here she is resting after a long day out in the field.

IMG_1338.jpeg

My only pheasant triple last November. Boy, it was cold that day! Temps hovered around zero F with a brisk wnd out of NW. I had actually given up and heading back to the vehicle when my Lab Ellie went on point just off the road ahead. A rooster got up and I dropped it with a trick shot through the the willows. Two more flushed when the gun fired and I easily killed one flying straight away. Ellie went for it and I pulled a shell from the vest to reload. Then two more roosters jumped from the same spot. I dropped the shell on the ground and dropped a rooster too. Three is the limit but my gun was empty anyway.
20221106_164058.jpg

Image1697679451.278188.jpg

Maggie was a rescue dog who has become a family member. A nice point on a woodcock on our farm. Apologies if this is a repeat.

Labs seem to have a thing about hunting caps.
View attachment 564578View attachment 564579
You need to get another one ... Lab that is.

I know it. The moment I walked in the house, Savannah would take my hat from work and follow me all over the house. I want another one, but my wife is not ready. Savannah left such a huge impression in our hearts, and even though all dogs are different and have different personalities. My wife feels she would be comparing the new dog to Savannah, and she think it wouldn't be fair for the new dog. One day she'll be ready.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grat

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.
SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.