BFR 454 Casull

For the heavier Casull level loads my best results have been from WIN296, if you can get your hands on it. Next available powder I've used has been AR2205 (listed in US data as 4227). Note: with AR2205, its best to only use it with heavier loads, at low pressure it gives inconsistent ignition and lots of unburnt powder granules.
@Hunter4752001
Win 296 and 2205 in Australia are in the unobtanium class unless you know some one. 2207 is the fastest available. My gun shop said to stock up on 2206/H4895 as it will no longer be made soon. Things are looking Grim if that's the case.
Bob

Yeah 2205 is another option I'm hoping I can get my hands on soon for heavier loads
@Aussie_Hunter
You keep on telling funny jokes about powder. The are many weeping into their empty 2205 powder containers as you just can't get it. The fastest available in Australia is 2207/H4198 .
Bob

If I were to get a BFR it would be in the Linebaugh.
@CoElkHunter
What about a 500 S&W or a nice Freedom arms in 45-70 using full house 350gn loads. Come on mate where's your sense if adventure.
Ha ha ha ha ha
Bob

Bob you're right about WIN296.

AR2205 is still meant to be in production, but in small quantities, That said, I haven't seen any in the last 12 months.

I suspect your gun shop is talking out of the wrong orifice re AR2206H. It remains available and in production. I recently bought another 4kg. Given it's also one of the main military powders, its unlikely to cease production.

Bob you're right about WIN296.

AR2205 is still meant to be in production, but in small quantities, That said, I haven't seen any in the last 12 months.

I suspect your gun shop is talking out of the wrong orifice re AR2206H. It remains available and in production. I recently bought another 4kg. Given it's also one of the main military powders, its unlikely to cease production.
@Hunter4752001
To the best of my knowledge Thales isn't making 2205 in any way and will not be available anytime soon. That's is straight from the company when I rang them 6 months ago. There's a hell of a lot of shooters that want/ need it but just can't get it.
I'm very lucky I have 3 bottles of 05 for my hornet plus a bottle of Lil gun and some 296 and 2400. Hopefully 2205 will be available by the time I run out.
Bob

@CoElkHunter
What about a 500 S&W or a nice Freedom arms in 45-70 using full house 350gn loads. Come on mate where's your sense if adventure.
Ha ha ha ha ha
Bob
Bob,
I would LOVE to have a Freedom Arms revolver but it's not in my financial zip code. A BFR though would be. A .500 would be an option, but then you have the .460 Smith? I've never shot either, so I'll stick with my .454 Casull for now. BTW, your homeboys in OZ can have BFRs, so I'm thinking YOU could get one in .444 Marlin?
CEH

You have exquisite taste. The BFR is an extremely fine platform for powerful calibers. I have a 10.5” BFR in 45-70 and I took my first deer ever with it. It holds a special place in my heart and I take every excuse to carry that revolver on my hip.
@BOMBOY
You must have a good belt and hips to put that 6.5# hand canon on you hip. Do you walk with a limp with it on you hip I know I would
HA HA HA HA HA HA HA
Bob

I have a BFR in .475 Linebaugh, I too bought it because the Freedom Arms is out of my budget. I had the barrel cut to the printing on it, slightly over 5". I went with the Linebaugh because I find it to be the ultimate compromise between power and carryablity. It's about the same size as my Super Blackhawk, but quite a bit more horsepower.
It had the Pachmeyer wrap arounds on it when it came, too big for my hand. Put on some SBH wood grips, but the grip frame and main frame don't exactly match up and it left a gap that I found distressing. Have a Hogue monogrip on it now, feels better, looks better, haven't shot it enough to know that it truly IS better.
This pistol seems to be of noticeably higher quality than a Ruger.

@Aussie hunter
Beautiful all you need is a Rossi 92 in the same caliber to go with it.
You are lucky to have any unique.
Blue dot and 2400 are as common as 50 year old virgin's in Australia so best of British finding any old son. Any shotgun, pistol powder or even 2205 and Lil gun is virtually impossible to find unless you know someone who knows somebody who has some they are willing to part with.
I was offered 200 dollars for a 500 gram tin of Lil gun recently by someone that said they needed it to reload a cartridge. Fortunately I knew that round wasn't compatible with it. I think he wanteded it to resell.
Bob
Bob, Rossi dropped the 92 in 454. I have one in stainless.

@Aussie hunter
Beautiful all you need is a Rossi 92 in the same caliber to go with it.
You are lucky to have any unique.
Blue dot and 2400 are as common as 50 year old virgin's in Australia so best of British finding any old son. Any shotgun, pistol powder or even 2205 and Lil gun is virtually impossible to find unless you know someone who knows somebody who has some they are willing to part with.
I was offered 200 dollars for a 500 gram tin of Lil gun recently by someone that said they needed it to reload a cartridge. Fortunately I knew that round wasn't compatible with it. I think he wanteded it to resell.
Bob
Oh yeah trust me I'm well aware, however I have been told I might be able to get my hands on some 2205 soon (y).

I have a BFR in .475 Linebaugh, I too bought it because the Freedom Arms is out of my budget. I had the barrel cut to the printing on it, slightly over 5". I went with the Linebaugh because I find it to be the ultimate compromise between power and carryablity. It's about the same size as my Super Blackhawk, but quite a bit more horsepower.
It had the Pachmeyer wrap arounds on it when it came, too big for my hand. Put on some SBH wood grips, but the grip frame and main frame don't exactly match up and it left a gap that I found distressing. Have a Hogue monogrip on it now, feels better, looks better, haven't shot it enough to know that it truly IS better.
Are those grips available directly from Hogue online? To be honest as I said even though the current grips feel a bit big they are not terrible and I think I will just end up getting used to them.

I have a BFR in .475 Linebaugh. An excellent revolver. I also have a .454, but in a Taurus Raging Bull. I definitely prefer the BFR.
As others have stated, for hotter loads in the .454, WW296 is a better powder. Lil-gun and H-4227 work well too.

@BOMBOY
You must have a good belt and hips to put that 6.5# hand canon on you hip. Do you walk with a limp with it on you hip I know I would
HA HA HA HA HA HA HA
Bob
I have a special holster from shamrock holsters. It’s a cowboy gunslinger type belt and distributes the weight well. I’ve hiked miles and miles with it on. Would definitely recommend their work to anyone looking for a way to carry one of these.

Oh yeah trust me I'm well aware, however I have been told I might be able to get my hands on some 2205 soon (y).
@Aussie_Hunter
Someone is telling you porky pies mate. Tales can't see it any time soon but I live in hope. You will have more hope finding small rifle primers than 05.
Bob

Bob. I suspect Thales is one of those companies where the right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing. You contacted them about 6 months ago. I contacted them in July, so about the same time, and they gave me a line about production in 2022. I think it'll be a case of believe it when you actually get your hands on it. Until then its hot air. That said, AR2205 is one of the powders they make for the US market and as such is more likely to be on the priority than some others.

The fly in the ointment maybe how much of their production capacity is going to be dedicated to military ammo, both domestic and export. Their production plans as of the start of 2022 never envisioned the massive demand increase as Europe rapidly reassessed their needs and as the our politicians/bureaucrats woke up that running a 'just in time' supply philosophy re munitions wasn't such a great idea after all.

The BFR's are dang fine revolvers. I certainly would not feel short changed owning a BFR instead of a Freedom Arms. As mentioned prior, I do have a 6" BFR. The 5"ish barrel lengths are nice for all around use, in my opinion.

I have more than one of the Freedom Arms, 475 Linebaughs & 454 Casulls. I bought one new a Long time ago. The others were bought used. The 4-3/4" 475 Linebaugh is definitely high up on the favorite list.
The FA are definitely pleasing to the eye and a bit more compact, and the laminated & micarta grips fit me well.

Other than the rubber grips on my BFR, I have no bitches. I have the same complaint about a FA that I have with the Pachmayr grips. Sights types on either are subjective to personal likes. The BFR has the full deal transfer bar safety and free spin cylinder when loading and unloading. Both nice features.

The BFR may not have art gallery or expended pinkie social status. But, it is dang fine using revolver. Hell, I carry single actions Rugers also. Their Bisley 4-5/8" models in 480 & 454 are also favored companion / trail revolvers. I changed those skinny-ass grip scales with a bit meater micarta.

"Legalities" arise; had to dropout of the pistol side, using various 44s. If I were to go back to the 44 for heavies, I'd try Woodleigh's 280 grain SP ...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MonteDacey

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.
sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.