Best watch in the 1000$ range?

I’ve been wearing a Sangin Brushed Pro, Sangin Neptune, Suunto Traverse Alpha, or Chris Ward C60 Trident most days. I’ve got a few others that appear on certain occasions. All of these can be located for under $1,000.

The Brushed Pro is my go to 80-90% of the time

Thank you. The "Automatic" concept is news to me, which as you stated deserves some research. Still 40mm, not quite as slim .. + $450. time will tell.
It's a big step and not an easy one. Like moving from a Winchester M70 to a Heym Martini Express...huge jump in price, but at the same time a huge jump in quality as well.

Keep in mind, they all just tell you the time. That's it. Just like a rifle...all they do is shoot bullets. If you are happy shooting bullets out of your rifle and don't care about anything else, you have no need (or want) for anything else.

Thank you. The "Automatic" concept is news to me, which as you stated deserves some research. Still 40mm, not quite as slim .. + $450. time will tell.

Usually $330ish in jewelry stores with the normal 25-30% discount. It's $249 at Jomashop if you're okay with a grey market watch.

An automatic is a self winding mechanical watch with a power reserve of 40 or so hours unless you step up $$$ wise. If you don't wear it for a few days and it stops, you just wind it up with the crown to restart it. Then your wrist movement moves the rotor which winds the mainspring automatically. The only downside is that they tend to be thicker due to the rotor which may not be a problem depending on wardrobe. The Tsuyosa is under 12mm so really not that bad. Citizen uses a Citizen only 8210 movement as opposed to a Miyota in the Tsuyosa which is cool.

If I haven't helped you spend your money yet, I'll just add that it looks really good on your wrist. LOL.

Last edited:
It's a big step and not an easy one. Like moving from a Winchester M70 to a Heym Martini Express...huge jump in price, but at the same time a huge jump in quality as well.

Keep in mind, they all just tell you the time. That's it. Just like a rifle...all they do is shoot bullets. If you are happy shooting bullets out of your rifle and don't care about anything else, you have no need (or want) for anything else.

Yup. If we all had any sense we would wear $15 digital Casio's that are off by seconds per month, have phillps head screw down backs for easy battery replacement and have a button for on demand illumination. But where's the fun in that?

Citizen would be my first pick followed by Seiko. Or if you want something a little different, take a look at Orient.

If you’re looking for a GMT complication, perfect for those trips to Africa, check out the Jack Mason Stratotimer.

It certainly takes some design cues from the GMT Master 2 ( I get complemented on it by Rolex owners all the time thinking it’s a GMT2) but has a jump hour Miyota movement from Japan and is regulated and assembled in the US.

Perhaps is a little more watch geek than you’re looking for, but it’s one of my favorites, especially when abroad.

Image1713346768.180492.jpg

All the watch threads have given me the urge to treat myself to a quality watch as an added bonus I think I can make an argument for writing one off as a navigational aid for marine use. It worked for quality binoculars and a really nice compass anyway so it’s worth a shot.

So that being said what would you gentleman recommend in the 1000-2000$ price range. Must be waterproof, mechanical winding , durable enough to stand up to use on the a commercial fishing boat. Repairable when I eventually break it and understated.
gold watches are right up there with pearl revolver grips hundred spoke rims in my opinion.
Tubby, by far it’s a TIMEX and for $1000 you can buy 25 or 30 of them (they last about a year), they are Not mechanical and have No gold or silver trim but are a very high quality “plastic”, have an Alarm feature, illuminate in the dark, are very light, waterproof, and CHEAP

Yup. If we all had any sense we would wear $15 digital Casio's that are off by seconds per month, have phillps head screw down backs for easy battery replacement and have a button for on demand illumination. But where's the fun in that?
I’m having trouble reading my G-Shock without glasses so I might be going back to wearing my Omega Planet Ocean at work.

Best watch for 1000 would be a 50 meter Casio analog for 20 then put 980 in your pocket. Or 20 for the Casio and buy a 980 gold necklace/bracelet. Can always sell the gold later if needed. ;)

Best watch for 1000 would be a 50 meter Casio analog for 20 then put 980 in your pocket. Or 20 for the Casio and buy a 980 gold necklace/bracelet. Can always sell the gold later if needed. ;)

or a Casio MWH200 and a few dozen magnum rifle primers :rolleyes:

If you don't mind the aesthetic, Marathon GSARs are great chunky divers. They've gone up in price the last year (way too much IMO) but you might be able to find used ones for around 1k still.

Andrew Morgan is a good egg. He's a HUGE Omega SpeedMaster (original mechanical) guy so it was funny to watch him have a go at the MoonSwatch. Teddy is a solid guy with upfront and honest reviews. He recently opened his own watch shop in Ohio with money earned from YT. He's selling several of the top brands. Pretty impressive.

Andrew Morgan is a good egg. He's a HUGE Omega SpeedMaster (original mechanical) guy so it was funny to watch him have a go at the MoonSwatch. Teddy is a solid guy with upfront and honest reviews. He recently opened his own watch shop in Ohio with money earned from YT. He's selling several of the top brands. Pretty impressive.
Yep I love listening to those guys. Andrew is also a big Christopher Ward fan.

Last edited:
Some good looking <$1000 watches in this video
Thanks a lot ha, I pre-ordered one of the Phoibos Wave Master GMTs. Supposed to be saving!

I wish I knew about these before I bought my Seiko SSK (same movement). Seems to pack a ton of features for $299 with the rebate. It actually checks a lot of boxes I had been looking for. On the fly adjust clasp, GMT complication, sapphire crystal, rotating bezel (ceramic to boot), date, no cyclops, isn't excessively thick, screw down crown. It seems to outclass the Seiko it's based on in many ways. It's not a true GMT but callers don't bother me, I've always set the 24 hour hand to zulu time and used the bezel, helps referencing everything in Z anyway radio, weather, etc.

I'll see how it is when it shows up in a month or two.

Thanks a lot ha, I pre-ordered one of the Phoibos Wave Master GMTs. Supposed to be saving!

I wish I knew about these before I bought my Seiko SSK (same movement). Seems to pack a ton of features for $299 with the rebate. It actually checks a lot of boxes I had been looking for. On the fly adjust clasp, GMT complication, sapphire crystal, rotating bezel (ceramic to boot), date, no cyclops, isn't excessively thick, screw down crown. It seems to outclass the Seiko it's based on in many ways. It's not a true GMT but callers don't bother me, I've always set the 24 hour hand to zulu time and used the bezel, helps referencing everything in Z anyway radio, weather, etc.

I'll see how it is when it shows up in a month or two.
Always happy to enable haha! You should post pictures and a review when you get it

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BillK

Latest profile posts

sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.
Vonfergus wrote on JamesJ's profile.
I am interested in the Double
Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.