Best SA hunts??

ltsheets

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
So I'm tweaking my hitlist for my hunt next year. I'm curious which animals you guys think are the best hunts in SA. I'll be hunting not far from Port Elisabeth. The animals I'm definitely hunting are Blesbuck and Springbuck, (included in the package with no substitutes) Kudu, and Impala. I'm probably going to take 6-7 total animals so that leaves another 2-3 and I'd like to choose them based on hunt quality of able though if a stud steps out, I doubt I'll pass if I haven't hit my budget haha. Thanks in advance.

A couple to consider would be a warthog, red hartebeest and a wildebeest.

Warthog isn't really an option here unfortunately. Red hartabeast and both wildebeest are though. I'm strongly considering a blue wildebeest.

For the east cape area I would say bushbuck for sure. IMO I don't think of the cape for blues as much as blacks. Waterbuck is another that some good ones have been taken down there. Springbuck for sure and they have some good blesbuck also so your good there. Without a lot of luck your kudu is the one that is smaller on avg in the cape. I myself think it is different then the greater but the cape normally is smaller kudu. The cape is know for some of the smaller guys also. depends on if your into those animals or not. Mtn reedbuck are better priced and a good one for the cape along with the vaal rhebuck.

I would definitely add a bushbuck tough stalk and a great trophy

BUSHBUCK. Can't say it loud enough.

After that, take what shows itself.

So u think the black wildebeest quality is better?

I'm not too worried about killing a giant kudu, just want a good representation.

Mountain reedbuck is intriguing. How are the hunts for them?

For the east cape area I would say bushbuck for sure. IMO I don't think of the cape for blues as much as blacks. Waterbuck is another that some good ones have been taken down there. Springbuck for sure and they have some good blesbuck also so your good there. Without a lot of luck your kudu is the one that is smaller on avg in the cape. I myself think it is different then the greater but the cape normally is smaller kudu. The cape is know for some of the smaller guys also. depends on if your into those animals or not. Mtn reedbuck are better priced and a good one for the cape along with the vaal rhebuck.

I'm asking the PH about bushbuck. I think I have to go to a neighboring concession for them so I'm getting the details.

So u think the black wildebeest quality is better?

I'm not too worried about killing a giant kudu, just want a good representation.

Mountain reedbuck is intriguing. How are the hunts for them?

From what I have seen the blacks are very good in the cape and the blues were smaller on avg then the northwest and limpo. I think you get better bosses on the ones up north. I only hunted mtn reedbuck once and did not get one passed on a small male. It was a fun hunt though high in the mtns. Cape has better numbers and areas I believe for them.

I myself love the darker capes of the kudu down there. It is just being ok with hunting a kudu under 50" for the most part instead of 50" plus up north.

That is not saying you cant find a 50" plus kudu or a good blue but for what I have seen it will take some good luck.

From what I have seen hunting in the limpo,northwest and east cape my list for the cape would be.

Cape kudu because I want both kudu. Bushbuck because I want both of them also. Then springbuck.oryx,black wildebeest,mtn reedbuck,steenbuck,vaal rhebuck,waterbuck, blesbuck,eland.

Saying all that I have taken my best impala there but they are normally smaller in the cape. With good luck and the right area you can take a good one of any of the SA plains game.

Reactions: lcq
Thanks billc. Great info! I'll do some research on the animals you listed that I'm not as familiar with.

and don't forget the little ones they can be fun duikers and steenbok

Bushbuck for sure Duikers are fun too as well as Eland are a challenge also.

Bushbuck has me very interested and I'm waiting on info from the PH. Unfortunately I'm passing on eland this trip due to budget. Duikers might be a target of opportunity as I hear they can be tough to focus on due to how elusive they can be.

Thanks billc. Great info! I'll do some research on the animals you listed that I'm not as familiar with.

Your welcome I hope it helps you out. So many animals to pick from so good luck with that part. LOL :whistle:

I would look hard at eland and the bushbuck.

You can have all the list you want, it will go out the window when you get to Africa, all the animals are beautiful and fun to hunt.
Take what Africa offers you and enjoy. Forrest

Bushbuck for sure, mountain reedbuck, and zebra.....who doesn't want a rug? Oh and they are a great hunt. My 2 cents.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
abferrell60

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.
Vonfergus wrote on JamesJ's profile.
I am interested in the Double
Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.