best bolt action for dangerous games

I would want a CRF on:

1. Following a wounded leopard
2. daytime lion

Read some Remington history.
I have owned a lot of Rem 700's over the years and have never had one fail to extract a case.

My dad accidentally tried to blow one up once, overcharge of wrong powder was likely. He had to beat the bolt open, but could not get the bolt to retract, so gave it to a smith.
Smith got the bolt out, and guess what was still hanging on to the case rim?
What was left of the case, still there. Extractor held firm at a gross overcharge.
Rifle was put back into service as well.
Many years ago, a gunsmith friend of mine told me that while the M700 extractor was usually strong enough to start with after awhile the thin spring becomes fatigued and eventually breaks. He said he had replaced many of them over the years. Even though I have a 700 in 7 mag that has been my regular deer rifle for 40 years, but the pain she feed action will never be a dangerous game rifle for.me.
In 1983 I went to Zimbabwe and shot a buffalo. He refused to fall over and die. The shot that knocked him down was fired by the PH. When we moved in and the PH as about 10 feet from the bull, he jumped up and started to close. I heard him pull the trigger with a loud "click." I pulled up just forward of the shoulder and broke his neck. The PH had had a post '64 Winchester M 70 and it had failed to feed the next round up into the chamber. I have a PF M 70 in .30-06 and have killed a lot of animals with it, but again, I am never using a push feed action for a DG rifle. Mostly, they work fine, but I want to minimize the risks with anything the can stomp, ckaw, bite or gore me.

Many years ago, a gunsmith friend of mine told me that while the M700 extractor was usually strong enough to start with after awhile the thin spring becomes fatigued and eventually breaks. He said he had replaced many of them over the years. Even though I have a 700 in 7 mag that has been my regular deer rifle for 40 years, but the pain she feed action will never be a dangerous game rifle for.me.
In 1983 I went to Zimbabwe and shot a buffalo. He refused to fall over and die. The shot that knocked him down was fired by the PH. When we moved in and the PH as about 10 feet from the bull, he jumped up and started to close. I heard him pull the trigger with a loud "click." I pulled up just forward of the shoulder and broke his neck. The PH had had a post '64 Winchester M 70 and it had failed to feed the next round up into the chamber. I have a PF M 70 in .30-06 and have killed a lot of animals with it, but again, I am never using a push feed action for a DG rifle. Mostly, they work fine, but I want to minimize the risks with anything the can stomp, ckaw, bite or gore me.
I will try to never argue with someone with real experience.

Regardless of what you use in terms of action, cartridge, etc., the important thing to to shoot your rifle in practice - over and over again. Full magazine with hunting loads, sitting, off hand, on the sticks and off. Any flaws in you or the rifle will become apparent and can be remedied in advance of the hunt. Repeatable reliabilty and accuracy of your rifle and scope combination means that you will be confident. Confidence in your rifle and your ability to shoot it trumps everything else... it leads to correct shot placement, calms you when you are in tense situations and means you will be successful.

Before I took my new .404 Jeffery Mauser on safari I shot over 300 rounds through it in all conditions. I was wedded to the rifle and knew I could shoot it well.

Last edited:
Commercial single or double square bridge Mauser action in proper length for caliber

My 2¢, Use the same tools as the guy who does it for a living.

Sage advice!
My elephant hunt PH used a well worn Mark 10 M98 rifle that either shot or finished off more elephant than I will ever see in the bush!

Simple and effective

I like my bolt handle but Wayne at AHR filled and straightened it

BD0shRU.jpg

I will just add to the subject, with some notes.

- removable magazines are not for DG rifle, Removable magazines can be lost in worst moment.

-Hinged plate magazines could be acceptable, but must be verified as fool proof, absolutely reliable. (or additionally secured with duct tape)

- closed bridge over the action, which eliminates option to load the rifle from top, directly to magazine. It implies removable magazine, liability for DG rifle. no no

- Set trigger option is not necessity, for me, set trigger is more liability on DG rifle then the advantage. I just want simple moderate trigger pull.

- quick detached type of mount is must, accompanied with iron sights. Best QD are in my opinion German swing mounts and German claw mount type. Steel

- High quality recoil pad, to compensate the recoil.

- Safety must be operated by thumb. (safeties operated by index finger, around trigger guard, are not for DG rifle, as in critical moment, to switch safety to off, critical time is lost, before index finger is back on trigger.

Action: controlled round feed, push feed, straight pull, probably subject to personal preference. History, and industry practice are inclined to CRF, but other types have not been historically so much present as CRF.

Don't you love spell check? I meant to say "push feed action will never be dangerous game rifle for me."

I would agree with that, but in Africa even Professional Hunters can have trouble obtaining what they want. The PH I referred to earlier now has a controlled round feed rifle and says he will not use a push feed rifle.

… one that is dependable & cycles on command each time …

... (no handloads for DG!) ...
I am not sure I agree with you, Phillip. While factory rounds are pretty reliable, handloading allows you to tune and adjust you loads for your rifle, assuring reliable feeding and accuracy. Also allows you to choose exactly the bullet you want to use. Further, it makes hundreds of hunting rounds for practice available for much less money than the cost of a few boxes of factory ammo.

Talking to the people at a well known Arizona shooting school about their DG shooting course, they emphasized to need to shoot hundreds of round during their training course. I agree - this tests the rifle and creates confidence in the shooter.

Of course, when you are handloading you need to have both eyes open, focus on the task and know how to develop and produce safe, reliable ammo.

Last edited:

In Africa my PH carried a 500 NE double rifle. Not exactly the tool for finishing a mortally wounded eland at over 200 yards. But the 404 Mauser did the job. My point is that the PH needs a rifle that he can use to keep his client whole in a tight corner, while the hunter needs a rifle that assures proper first shot placement with a more-than-adequate caliber, thus relieving his PH from the necessity to fire his 'stopper'.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sadiamahi

Latest profile posts

USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.
SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.