Best barrels?

Krieger, Hawkhill, Brux, Bartlein, Rock Creek, Benchmark.

That's the order in which I look. We are lucky in the fact we have a lot of good options.

Plenty of others not listed that are outstanding these I listed I have cut on. So I'll stick with what I know.

I'm not a fan of proof CF barrels, if I need a CF barrel. I'll get one that Bartlein makes.

Benchmark made me a beautiful 6.5 x55 barrel for my SSG300. They were great to deal with.I can change the barrel in just a few minutes.

Do any of them make bad barrels today?

You can still get ‘bad’ barrels. I had a .325 that would not shoot five shots under an inch. I replaced it with a high quality match barrel and it shoots sub 1/2” now. I know I am very picky and 1.25” groups would never have cost me an animal, but I like accurate rifles.

See, I told you, you would end up with a bunch of answers. :ROFLMAO:

Lilja (choice of the finest bolt gunsmiths). 'Also have a Hart that's a 1-holer, and a few Douglass that are pretty close. Whoever Jaeger, Wby, Montana uses/used for barrels on their high end guns-they are shooters! One of the cheaper aftermarket barrels (of the proper length, contour and twist rate) will shoot better on a gun that's set up properly, than one not trued, headspaced properly, scope rings aligned, scope leveled, etc. It's more work than just a barrel. The entire action/stock/mounts/trigger should be considered at that juncture, if it's accurization you seek. (this is a 6.5 WSM w/ a Lilja bbl/HS Precision stock/Jewell Trigger/Timney mounts assembled by Bansner's, and this 6 lb mountain gun has made some spectacular shots out to 720 yds.) And then there's the proper handloading for your particular gun (likely the lowest cost step toward greater accuracy and tailoring loads to the game to be hunted.) All that said, I think it's finally time for a new barrel after 2,000+ rounds through that particular gun...257 AI, 757 AI, 300 WM, and .338 A-Sq are the current backup favorites for med. game.

44043531_10155895342750208_5408437842365906944_n.jpg
IMG_20171002_134052840.jpg
IMG_20171002_174555066_HDR.jpg
ZimbabweLemco20070726 021.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Weatherby has been using Krieger barrels on some special Accumark models.
I've had a couple and they ARE shooters!!! 'Knew it was a fine bbl (i've only had S/S from them.) Also burned out a couple .257 Wby bbls (after the magic 2,000+ rounds,) so stepped down a bit to 257 AI.

Weatherby has been using Krieger barrels on some special Accumark models.

At one time under Ed Weatherby, all Weatherby Accumarks used Krieger barrels. Not sure now under Adam if that's the case. I own 3 Accumarks and they are accurate for a non-custom gun.

For me in no particular order

Cut barrels then Bartlein/Obermyer/Brux/KP/Chanlynn/Proof/Rock Creek/Kreiger

Button barrels then Broughton (before Tim retired)/Hart/Lilja/Schneider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KayleighFa

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you