Best 2x10/2x12ish scope for the money?

I do not know how to post a picture of the 4C reticle but it is not a ballistic reticle. It is 3 heavy short cross hairs with a dot in the center

For Leopard - would you include Trijicon Accupoint 3-9 with “illuminated” green dot in center of duplex reticle? I ask because I’d like to go on a Leopard hunt one day and have used that particular Trijicon many times Night Hunting for Coyote - target acquisition is very fast and No need for batteries EVER due to fiber optic and tritium gas illuminate the reticle....very reliable. My hit rate on night time coyotes improved signicantly since switching from non illuminated reticles and now good out to 250 yrds on night time coyotes with a red light mounted to the scope or without “if moon light & snow” No other light needed.
Daytime shooting in bright sun the Duplex cross hairs look like any other standard duplex. I’ve Never hunted Leopard but “think” this scope would work day/dusk/or night w/faint red light. Thoughts or opinion?
It really doesn't have the optics that would make me comfortable hunting a leopard in marginal light. Since that first buffalo hunt, my go to scopes have been various Leica's and Swaro's. There really is a clarity and poor light difference. Remember on that cat you want to hit exactly the right rosette - or for a whitetail or European boar at very last light. For plains game it is not an issue.

I have that scope and have compared it directly to the Swaro Z6 1.7-10, Leupold VX6 2-12 and Swaro Z8 1-8x. I do this on deer behind the house at absolutely last light. Unfortunately the trijicon comes in dead last every time. I used to think it was great at low light until I started these direct comparisons.

The best scope I have seen in this testing is the Schmidt & Bender 8x56.
Thanks for the info and your ‘real life’ comparisons. Did all those other scopes have an illuminated reticle? If so - did they rely on batteries? I’m willing to buy a better scope but want illuminated reticle and No batteries.
Regarding the Schmidt & Bender 8x56 - it could light up Mars and I still would Never mount any scope with 50 or 56m bell (I’m sure it is a superior scope - my personal preference goes to 40mm)....42m is as fat as I would go, although a 30m tube is fine. Thank You

It really doesn't have the optics that would make me comfortable hunting a leopard in marginal light. Since that first buffalo hunt, my go to scopes have been various Leica's and Swaro's. There really is a clarity and poor light difference. Remember on that cat you want to hit exactly the right rosette - or for a whitetail or European boar at very last light. For plains game it is not an issue.
I get your point and have a Swaro 3-9 that I used in Tanzania - loved it over my Leupold VIII but Not at Night or near dark - the Trijicon glass may be inferior but the illuminated dot (center of Duplex) is outstanding for target acquisition. I’ve taken coyote & fox out to 250 yrds in very low light (45 minutes after sunset) so I “think” a Leopard at 50 - 100 yrds would show up clearly for a precise shot. Now, certainly a Leopard is much more important then coyote or deer, harder to kill and bad consequences if you Don’t... so I want to be using a scope that can work in dark/dull circumstances vs. daylight = anything work. I want to avoid standard duplex cross hairs on a dark background subject in low light, thats why I’m pushing illuminated cross hairs or center dot. I fear batteries - one more thing to fail. Thanks you for your insight

Thanks for the info and your ‘real life’ comparisons. Did all those other scopes have an illuminated reticle? If so - did they rely on batteries? I’m willing to buy a better scope but want illuminated reticle and No batteries.
Regarding the Schmidt & Bender 8x56 - it could light up Mars and I still would Never mount any scope with 50 or 56m bell (I’m sure it is a superior scope - my personal preference goes to 40mm)....42m is as fat as I would go, although a 30m tube is fine. Thank You

I agree with you on the large objective lenses. They really only work well on specialty rifles designed for their use. I have a Mark V on a custom 6.5 PRC that works fine in that application (chassis design), but I would never mount that scope on a classic stalking rifle.

As to your battery question, yes they use batteries. I simply change them out before an important hunt and carry a spare. However, the Z6 1.7-10x would make a more
Precise shot un-illuminated than the trijicon at last light. To prove this to myself I put a black dot on one of my beehives. It’s 200 yards from my deck to the hives. When I could barely see the hives I could still make out that dot and place the unlit crosshairs on it with the Swaro. I could not see the dot with the trijicon. For you other beekeepers out there, no I did not shoot the hive, although there have been days I’ve been tempted to burn the little bastards.

You may be picking up that I’m a little anal on glass. Don’t get me started on triggers!!!

I agree with you on the large objective lenses. They really only work well on specialty rifles designed for their use. I have a Mark V on a custom 6.5 PRC that works fine in that application (chassis design), but I would never mount that scope on a classic stalking rifle.

As to your battery question, yes they use batteries. I simply change them out before an important hunt and carry a spare. However, the Z6 1.7-10x would make a more
Precise shot un-illuminated than the trijicon at last light. To prove this to myself I put a black dot on one of my beehives. It’s 200 yards from my deck to the hives. When I could barely see the hives I could still make out that dot and place the unlit crosshairs on it with the Swaro. I could not see the dot with the trijicon. For you other beekeepers out there, no I did not shoot the hive, although there have been days I’ve been tempted to burn the little bastards.

You may be picking up that I’m a little anal on glass. Don’t get me started on triggers!!!
WAB - appreciate that “test” you did (Bee Hives/black dot). Seems a very precise way to compare a scope and I’m gonna try to replicate that “test” myself. Thank You for that tip !

OK so for you guys that know a lot more about these things than I do; what is it about Swaro that makes them so much better at low light? Is it really just perfect glass or is it a larger exit pupil or something in the glass coatings? Swaro and S&B are the only 2 names I've never heard anything bad about except their price.

Another option is one of the Triijicon's offerings. I have a 2.5-10x50 Accupoint with the post reticle. Put the point on the boiler room and pull the trigger. Have taken many plains game and varmints with various cartridges/calibers.

Their Safari line:

Last edited by a moderator:
OK so for you guys that know a lot more about these things than I do; what is it about Swaro that makes them so much better at low light? Is it really just perfect glass or is it a larger exit pupil or something in the glass coatings? Swaro and S&B are the only 2 names I've never heard anything bad about except their price.

Glass and coatings from my POV. Of course construction is without equal but that isn’t really driving brightness.

Find a 10% off coupon online and it’s 1249 delivered. I’ve bought 2 from them in last few months.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-08-12 at 8.54.34 AM.png
    Screenshot 2023-08-12 at 8.54.34 AM.png
    707.9 KB · Views: 32

Hahaha!! We just moved 4 hives. One of them is horribly aggressive. There isn’t a lot of peace and joy working that hive. When they get that bad, I end up re-queening the hive.

The Z8 scope has a spare battery in one of the turrets. I always bring an extra couple in my pack, but it hasn’t been an issue yet. I also bring and extra battery for my rangefinding binoculars. Only have had to change out that battery in the field one time.

When I was younger it was about buying a more expensive gun and then getting cheap glass. Now, I realize the glass is the most important part. Most all the rifles one can buy today will shoot well. A swaro scope will get you visibility before or past legal shooting light.

I've had my Tikka 695 topped with a 2-12x VX6 duplex reticle to MX a couple of times, and Africa several, taking a few deer an almost 70 head of plains game. It's survived the baggage handling gorillas everywhere, and never needed to be re-zero'd. It's perfect for Africa IMO/IME.

Sounds like Leupold 2-10 is going to get in the budget side but maybe get not be the best low light glass.
If you are going to travel to hunt try find another $1000 and get into a good scope that fits your requirements.
You might be chasing better glass as you get older so maybe it's better to strive to get something good now. A good 2-10 or something in a Swarovski z6 would still be useful on a smaller calibre hunting rifle if you scale down the rifle.
If you could have one good scope now might be the time to do it.

I actually have more Leica's on my rifles. I think they are in every way equal to Swaro and S&B (or Zeiss Victory) - sadly to include price. But late evening and general clarity they, like the others, are a step above.

Like @WAB I put a new battery in before every big hunt. I have never had one fail - even when I forgot to put one in. :E Shrug:

@Axle2010
You won't hear any bad words about meopta either and they do an iluminated dot reticle. Supposed to be the best light gathering in the game.
Bob

Hahaha!! We just moved 4 hives. One of them is horribly aggressive. There isn’t a lot of peace and joy working that hive. When they get that bad, I end up re-queening the hive.

The Z8 scope has a spare battery in one of the turrets. I always bring an extra couple in my pack, but it hasn’t been an issue yet. I also bring and extra battery for my rangefinding binoculars. Only have had to change out that battery in the field one time.

When I was younger it was about buying a more expensive gun and then getting cheap glass. Now, I realize the glass is the most important part. Most all the rifles one can buy today will shoot well. A swaro scope will get you visibility before or past legal shooting light.
Exactly!! :A Way To Go: Buy a 3500 dollar rifle and put a 500 dollar scope on it and presto - you have a 500 dollar rifle.

Sounds like Leupold 2-10 is going to get in the budget side but maybe get not be the best low light glass.
If you are going to travel to hunt try find another $1000 and get into a good scope that fits your requirements.
You might be chasing better glass as you get older so maybe it's better to strive to get something good now. A good 2-10 or something in a Swarovski z6 would still be useful on a smaller calibre hunting rifle if you scale down the rifle.
If you could have one good scope now might be the time to do it.
And I'm not in a huge rush for a scope for this rifle so I may wait a week or two before throwing my money at one. It won't hurt to relearn how to shoot open sights lol. I'll have this rifle for a long time and I'd rather only put one scope in than go through 3 or 4.

I just put a Leupold VX5HD in 2-10 with Firedot Reticle on my 375. It cost about $1,000 including mounts. For value, it’s about as good as you’ll get, in my opinion. It’s also an excellent scope choice for a 375.

Exactly!! :A Way To Go: Buy a 3500 dollar rifle and put a 500 dollar scope on it and presto - you have a 500 dollar rifle.
@Red Leg That maybe so but if he takes the 500 dollar scope off it reverts back to a 3,500 dollar rifle.
There's nought wrong with a 1,200 dollar meopta.
Bob

I’ve always heard that Meopta scopes are great value for the money if you don’t want to go the Swaro route. They make a 1.7-10 that’s illuminated.
I use a Meopta R2 1,7-10x42 on a rifle. A great piece of glass.

FA33658B-5461-4FBF-8AD2-9287C2CB72E8.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BeMo

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you