Becoming a PH

AndrewBrown3499

Reaction score
Hello all, a little bit of backstory for me. I currently live in the United States and have grown up hunting and fishing all my life. For years I have dreamed of going to Africa and hunting. I’ve read damn near every Selous and Capstick book that’s been published and many more. I’m 25 years old and in college and at a point in my life that I have nothing holding me back from fulfilling my dream of becoming a hunting guide. My question to ya’ll is how the process works for countries such as Botswana or Tanzania for a foreigner to move there and acquire their license. Sorry for the long post. Cheers, Andrew.

Your best bet would to get in touch with Nathan at @Bullet Safaris. He’s an young-ish American PH in Tanzania.

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome @AndrewBrown3499 !

Each country has a different set of requirements and a different process for obtaining a PH license..

Most (all) require formal training and a test be taken related to the local flora, fauna, laws, etc.. Some countries have a reputation for being significantly harder than others to obtain a license..

I think you'll find the cost of training is substantially cheaper than most trade type schools in the US.. the last time I looked at various PH courses in South Africa for example, it was about $800 all in (including room and board, meals, training, course materials, etc) for I believe a 10 day course of study...

But I think you'll also find that compensation for a new PH is extremely low compared to even the lowest/entry level positions in the vast majority of trades here in the US.. Be prepared to live on an incredibly tight budget.. and be prepared to do other work during the time of year that there arent many hunters visiting (most PH's I know are farm hands, or farm managers, or have some other sort of job that they do for a significant part of the year in addition to being PH's.. this is especially true of the younger guys that dont have an established client base or reputation...)..

Theres all sort of legal/regulatory hurdles to overcome beyond training.. for example, anyone can attend a PH course in most countries.. but in most countries you either must either be a citizen or have a residence/work visa in hand and be living in the country for a prescribed period of time before the country will issue you a license..

then there is the obstacle of firearms ownership.. its not like the US where you can just walk into a gun shop and just purchase a rifle to use.. it is often times a multi-year process (country dependent) to be able to legally own a firearm..

Im sure others will come with even more information..

This isnt to discourage you.. there have certainly been numerous US citizens that have lived in various African countries and that have worked as PH's while living there.. the goal can be accomplished..

but its a difficult task in many cases.. to enter into a career field that doesnt typically pay well.. and may well cost you a good bit of money on the front end before you are ever allowed to start earning any pay..

you have to be in it for the love of the bush.. because it wont provide a whole lot more than that for several years after you get started..

:S Welcome: To AH

Welcome @AndrewBrown3499 !

Each country has a different set of requirements and a different process for obtaining a PH license..

Most (all) require formal training and a test be taken related to the local flora, fauna, laws, etc.. Some countries have a reputation for being significantly harder than others to obtain a license..

I think you'll find the cost of training is substantially cheaper than most trade type schools in the US.. the last time I looked at various PH courses in South Africa for example, it was about $800 all in (including room and board, meals, training, course materials, etc) for I believe a 10 day course of study...

But I think you'll also find that compensation for a new PH is extremely low compared to even the lowest/entry level positions in the vast majority of trades here in the US.. Be prepared to live on an incredibly tight budget.. and be prepared to do other work during the time of year that there arent many hunters visiting (most PH's I know are farm hands, or farm managers, or have some other sort of job that they do for a significant part of the year in addition to being PH's.. this is especially true of the younger guys that dont have an established client base or reputation...)..

Theres all sort of legal/regulatory hurdles to overcome beyond training.. for example, anyone can attend a PH course in most countries.. but in most countries you either must either be a citizen or have a residence/work visa in hand and be living in the country for a prescribed period of time before the country will issue you a license..

then there is the obstacle of firearms ownership.. its not like the US where you can just walk into a gun shop and just purchase a rifle to use.. it is often times a multi-year process (country dependent) to be able to legally own a firearm..

Im sure others will come with even more information..

This isnt to discourage you.. there have certainly been numerous US citizens that have lived in various African countries and that have worked as PH's while living there.. the goal can be accomplished..

but its a difficult task in many cases.. to enter into a career field that doesnt typically pay well.. and may well cost you a good bit of money on the front end before you are ever allowed to start earning any pay..

you have to be in it for the love of the bush.. because it wont provide a whole lot more than that for several years after you get started..
Thank you for your reply! I was going to school for teaching so I guess money isn’t motivating me anyhow haha. If you know of any links to guiding schools to get into contact with I sure would appreciate it. Just long fr a foot in the right direction

Didn't...hmm..@BRICKBURN (?) take an SA PH course a few years ago? Not for the purpose of changing career as I understood it, but more for the actual gain of knowledge. Sorry if I got it wrong regarding which AH member it was.

Didn't...hmm..@BRICKBURN (?) take an SA PH course a few years ago? Not for the purpose of changing career as I understood it, but more for the actual gain of knowledge. Sorry if I got it wrong regarding which AH member it was.

I believe that’s correct…

I’m working on something now to put a group of US guys together in 2025 to attend a PH course for the same purpose… none of us want to actually pursue a PH career… we just think it would be fun to attend, gain the knowledge, etc..

I’ve talked to a couple of different schools at this point and have a decent plan together…if anyone else on AH is interested, let me know… I think we’ll have a good time.. and you’d be amazed at how affordable it is by US standards…

Thank you for your reply! I was going to school for teaching so I guess money isn’t motivating me anyhow haha. If you know of any links to guiding schools to get into contact with I sure would appreciate it. Just long fr a foot in the right direction

When I get back to my laptop tomorrow I’ll send you a PM with a few links and some additional information..

Do it!

Have a great time.
A few years ago by and you change your mind? So what.

You'll never regret adventure.

Spot on and went and got the license in Mozambique.

The Original adventure:
https://www.africahunting.com/threa...tavi-leeukop-safaris-kzn-the-whole-tale.6144/

Some resources.

@AndrewBrown3499
There are more threads on this topic than you can shake a stick at.

https://www.africahunting.com/threads/how-to-become-a-ph-in-africa.2070/
https://www.africahunting.com/threads/professional-hunting-school.39528/
https://www.africahunting.com/threads/us-ph-in-sa.7504/
https://www.africahunting.com/threads/any-help-with-becoming-a-professional-hunter.7980/

Another option.
Punch these into your google search engine:
ph course site:africahunting.com
ph school site:africahunting.com

There are plenty of threads on the topic.

https://www.africahunting.com/threads/newest-canadian-ph-in-south-africa-make-that-mozambique.6141/

@Wyatt Smith, if you do not like 90 hour work weeks, DO NOT BECOME A PH. Honestly.
@WebleyGreene455 Get out and try some hunting around your home and see how you like it.

Being a PH is a lifestyle.
It may appear to be an adventure but it is hard work and you have to love people and hunting to succeed.

Enjoy researching your dreams.

I would hook up with a booking agent, and of course you would have to do a long term apprenticeship before being a #1

when I got my USCG captain license it was focused on rules of the road , 1st aide, and 2000 hours of experience . Am sure the apprenticeship would be similar
best of luck

Attachments

• PH Career & Training Institutions.pdf
    1.9 MB · Views: 27
Last edited:
If I had known about the possibility of it, or the existence of the career of a PH or guide when I was coming out of high school, I would have been all over it. Good luck to you.

If you have Instagram, I follow Jay Leyendecker from Texas who I know went over to Africa and was PH for a time, you might message him. Heck, he might even be on here. @phjayley

I’m working on something now to put a group of US guys together in 2025 to attend a PH course for the same purpose… none of us want to actually pursue a PH career… we just think it would be fun to attend, gain the knowledge, etc..

I’ve talked to a couple of different schools at this point and have a decent plan together…if anyone else on AH is interested, let me know… I think we’ll have a good time.. and you’d be amazed at how affordable it is by US standards…
please let me know…I am interested

Pursue your dreams. You cannot put a price on that. Work hard and dedicate yourself to your craft and the money will follow.

Please let me know the details if you’re not full on your trip! That would be exciting and even beneficial if I wasn’t able to get a work permit after.

Friendly suggestion, try guiding some where you live to see how you like working with the clients, meeting their expectations, and living on a guide’s pay.

Guiding involves many things beyond just hunting and fishing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KimProbst1

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.
sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.