Beautiful wood/works of art -- Do you hunt with them?

Good wood with a proper finish is never a bad investment. Good wood with a polyurethane finish is a terrible waste of money.

I own several guns with exhibition or XXX grade wood and they go right through the jess bush like any other gun. Since they all have an oil finish (a real oil, not truoil or poly) I buff out the scratches and scars and lay up another 1-2 layers of oil on top. With this level of upkeep, about twice per century you’ll have to have your heirs send them back to get the finish stripped down to the wood (again, With oil this is done with mineral spirits rather than 40 grit sandpaper) and a full new finish with slacum, oil, and rottenstone is applied. When the finish is full stripped, those bigger dents and scratches get steamed out and the checkering may get re-pointed.

With this level of care, about every 200 years you’ll need a new stock.

Here’s an 1868 Boss with its original wood. How’s a 20 year old weatherby look by comparison?

Buy once, buy right (oil finished wood), maintain your weapons, (drop of oil on the palm rubbed in twice per season) they’ll last several centuries.

View attachment 442601
View attachment 442602
Well said!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabe

Latest profile posts

I realize how hard the bug has bit. I’m on the cusp of safari #2 and I’m looking to plan #3 with my 11 year old a year from now while looking at my work schedule for overtime and computing the math of how many shifts are needed….
Safari Dave wrote on Kevin Peacocke's profile.
I'd like to get some too.

My wife (a biologist, like me) had to have a melanoma removed from her arm last fall.
Grat wrote on HUNTROMANIA's profile.
Hallo Marius- do you have possibilities for stags in September during the roar? Where are your hunting areas in Romania?
ghay wrote on No Promises's profile.
I'm about ready to pull the trigger on another rifle but would love to see your rifle first, any way you could forward a pic or two?
Thanks,
Gary [redacted]
Heym Express Safari cal .416 Rigby

Finally ready for another unforgettable adventure in Namibia with Arub Safaris.

H2863-L348464314_original.jpg