Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SCI Badgerland Chapter, NRA, Local Sportsmen's Club
Hunted
South Africa, Tanzania
I just purchased a Ruger M77 in .416 Rigby and I'd appreciate some advice on the barrel break-in procedures / methods.

I already have a set of procedures that have worked very well for my .22-250, 7mm Rem Mag, .300 Mag, etc. These are the well-known "clean after one shot for ten rounds, clean after each 3 shots for 21 rounds..." method.

I'm convinced that proper break-in contributes to accuracy and barrel life.

Should I be using the same method for a big bore?

Also, I hand load all of my ammunition. Is there a specific bullet and/or velocity that should be used for break-in?

Thank-you in advance for any help you can provide based on your experience.

- browningbbr

Browning ..that would probably be ok!! I never got into that cleaning after every shot, I always shot a 3 shot group & cleaned it for 10 consecutive strings! I guess it's up to you! As far as any guns or big bore that I've had I just loaded a decent start round and shot the 3 shot group & cleaned the barrel, That way you can kind of see if the process is doing anything for that load or if you have to find a different combimation of components to make the gun accurate!! Good Luck!!

Calhoun:

Thanks. I guess I'll use the method I've used in the past. I don't mind the extra cleaning on the first 10. I usually shoot through the chronograph and start getting some preliminary data on velocity as well.

I should have also asked about crimping. I know that I'll need to crimp the case mouths to keep bullets in the magazine from jumping forward out of the cases due to recoil.

How much crimp will I need for this kind of round? I'm planning to shoot 400gn bullets going about 2450fps out of a 9.5 pound rifle, so rifle recoil will probably substantial.

I've made up a handful of bullets for initial testing with just enough crimp to make the case mouth touch the bullet shank in the cannelure.

- browningbbr

Browning... Having never loaded for the 416 Rigby I would say that is about where I would start at for crimp!! My 375 H&H thats all the crimp I use & it's sufficient! Although there is going to be more recoil in your gun than mine!
Happy Shooting!!

I shoot the same rifle. I made the following modifications and now I love the rifle; pachmyr recoil pad, added crossbolt, glass bed stock. Instld Leupold 1.5x5 scope on Weaver bases w/ Burris Zee rings. My 1st stock cracked after only 5 rounds - Ruger replaced it, no charge.
I don't crimp any tighter than you are, never had a problem.
I usually shoot Hdy 400 gr soft in front of 104 gr H4831. Jackrabbits don't have a chance, even the mad ones that charge the tires. Elk generally move sideways about 6 inches before falling. I've taken 2 buff w/ it, both w/ 400 gr TBBC, both down after 1st shot. Plan to try it on an elephant someday.

Pancho

Thanks. Looks like I'm on the right track. I was thinking about glass bedding, but will wait until I get a few rounds through it before deciding.

- browningbbr

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Twisted

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Grat wrote on HUNTROMANIA's profile.
Hallo Marius- do you have possibilities for stags in September during the roar? Where are your hunting areas in Romania?
Africas leading outdoor and hunting filming company!
ghay wrote on No Promises's profile.
I'm about ready to pull the trigger on another rifle but would love to see your rifle first, any way you could forward a pic or two?
Thanks,
Gary [redacted]
Heym Express Safari cal .416 Rigby

Finally ready for another unforgettable adventure in Namibia with Arub Safaris.

H2863-L348464314_original.jpg
Unforgettable memories of my first hunting safari with Arub Safaris in Namibia (Khomas Hochland) !!!

Namibia.jpg
Oryx.jpg
Kudu.jpg