Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
BASC
Hunted
UK, Norfolk, Cambridgeshire, Dumfries and Galloway, Isle of Arran (Scotland). RSA, North West, Kalahari, Limpopo
Hello fellow hunting people.

Just wondered if the Barnes XFB is just the old version of the now TSX?? Has anybody used them and would the load data be the same as the TSX? Its going to go in a 375 H&H in the form of a 270 grn pill hand loaded.

Many thanks as per :A Gathering:

If the bullets don't have grooves, or cannelures, they are the older version. As long as you're shooting a strong bolt action, start at the low end of TSX data and work up as usual. They will be expected to give a little higher pressure than the TSX bullet given equal powder charges.

Barnes recommends that before you shoot their bullets you start with a VERY clean barrel. This is especially true of the versions without the cannelure which were known for fouling excessively.

Do not even use them. The TSX/TTSX are sooooooo much better. I have data for the old XFB bullets if you really want to try them. Accuracy and pressure problems without getting any FPS was the biggest troubles with them.

Do yourself a favor and buy some TSX/TTSX bullets. Preferably the TTSX bullets. The load data was very different between the old bullets and the newer TSX/TTSX ones.

For what it's worth they are the cannelured ones and I can get them for a very good price as they are old stock

After using both types I would not use them if they where almost free. It is your money/rifle/time/powder/primers so do as you please. I have been there and done that and got rid of all my old Barnes bullets for next to nothing. I use the TTSX bullets now and they work great given you give them plenty of jump and speed. They seem to be more accurate and are more lethal the faster you push them USING the Barnes data which is different than other bullets. I have loads for a number of cartridges but nothing over 308 caliber as yet.

What you know do with other bullets to make accurate loads just throw out the window with Barnes bullets. They need/like more bullet jump. I have some clover leaf groups using .2"(yes that much) jump. Min of .060" and better at .080" is a good place to start. Rule of thumb load the TTSX/TSX bullets to where the top relief groove is just showing. If you look at a factory box of ammo you will see that they are that way and usually shoot very well. Speed makes them open up and not just pencil thru the animal.

Divernhunter thanks very much for the advice I shall take it on board. I'm just waiting to see if my local gunshop can get Sierra GMKS as I understand they are a splendid bullet indeed!

For my nickles worth I used a lot of Barnes XFB bullets out of my .340 Weatherby. They shot very accurately out of my rifle and took quite a few deer, elk, and a couple of bears with no problems. Some say that there is a expansion problem with them when they looked at the exit holes but they never did take into consideration that skin stretches.

I have since switched over to the TTSX bullet and have found that they do the job as well. I haven't purchased a newer Barnes manual so I backed off my loadings a little and worked them back up to the same load that I was shooting with the XFB bullet and it looks like I can go a little higher but I like the results that I am getting now so I'll stick where I am at.

If you would like some load data for those round out of the Barnes reloading manual #3 for your 375 let me know.

JimP thank you very much for you offer on the load data I might just take you up on it. Did you have any of the problems that have been mentioned by Divernhunter??

I didn't have any problems with pressure. I already had a load developed with one powder and it was as close to being max that you could find for that bullet. I swapped powders and gradually built up the load to the velocity that I wanted to shoot and then I stopped. The new load didn't show any signs of pressure, had the velocity that I wanted and shot very well out of my rifle so I didn't see a need to go any further.

One thing that will dictate on how far you seat your bullet is going to be the magazine length of your rifle. On my Weatherby I have to seat the bullets deeper than I really want to just because of it. I can get better accuracy by seating the bullets way out but I have to load them one at a time which doesn't work too well in a hunting rifle.

Hello,
I used, a lot, the old Barnes XFB. Exclusively the 250 grs .375 in my Win 70 Pre 64 (1954). No problem with pressures neither accuracy. I got 2850 f/s with R15. Great long range Red Deer load around here.
The only "problem" is they foul the barrel more than the conventional bullets. Two things to take care to use these B XFB: start with a clean barrel and use not less than a .04" bullet jump to the lands to avoid pressures spikes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CharlineDu

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Coltwoody@me.com
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross