B. Searcy & Co. Double Rifle Reviews and Wisdom Needed??

Safariswestcam

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
I have recently located a B. Searcy double that checks all boxes for me from caliber, stocking and LOP. I had the seller agree to hold it for me so that I could do some research on Searcy as they, historically over the past two years, have not been a company that I had considered prior as a possible firearm of choice. In 24 hours I am not sure that it would be possible to have reviews that are as contradictory as what I received? I had a comment that "they are one of the best doubles produced" by a very experienced Botswana elephant PH all the way to "they are more useful to use as a boat anchor" from a renowned gunsmith. I am curious if anyone on this forum can provide some insight in to their personal experience that may save me from either a costly mistake or help me attain the rifle of my dreams?

Thanks in advance for any feedback,

Cheers,
CK

I would not buy a Searcy. Spend more buy a Heym....

See also the original forum: https://www.africahunting.com/threads/for-sale-fixer-searcy-double-in-500-416-ne.44901/

My own thoughts on the subject are that Rookhawk demonstrated convincingly that that rifle had been incompetently repaired and Mr. Searcy did not cover himself in glory by spitefully declaring that he would do no further work on the rifle.

Other factors which may weigh on your thinking are that Mr. Searcy is a one man band and, by his own admission, has been in very poor health.

Many of us would prefer to buy the hand-made over the mass-produced product, if only out of a sense of helping an independent trader and buying a custom-made rifle. It is down to you, of course, but from what I have seen of the Searcy rifles - only in photographs - they are working guns, not particularly attractive, unlikely to hold their value, and come with some serious questions regarding warranty and after-sale service. And, after all, the last place that you want to find yourself is in the same position as Matt85.

If you do want to proceed, check the balance of the rifle and ask to fire some rounds to check its accuracy.

Last edited:
I would not buy a Searcy for many of the reasons stated. Not sure what you are looking to spend but if you are not looking for an English double I would focus on Heym, VC (manufactured from 2011-2021), Krieghoff and maybe Merkel

Heym 88b, preferably later profuction.

For the umpteenth time, I had nothing but a good experience with a fine shooting solid rifle, and Mr. Searcy.

48A875D7-5D90-4024-B642-7F8635E98B0E.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thinking about this a bit more, you might be interested in a Rigby Paso Robles rifle. They were built down to a price, but based on a German action, and were sold on the basis of the ignorant not realising that they were buying a considerably inferior product than they may have thought.

There is a thread on them here: https://www.africahunting.com/threads/rigby-made-in-california-any-experience.55397/

As long as you go with your eyes open you ought to be alright.

I see that Westley Richards has one for sale in - ? - Florida: https://www.westleyrichards.com/use...--co---paso-robles--ca---470-boxlock-ejector/

The $15,000 price seems to me to have scope for negotiation downwards. You should also be able to demand a warranty.

Attachments

• J. Rigby & Co. (Paso Robles, CA) .470 Boxlock Ejector.pdf
    4.3 MB · Views: 19
A lot of people (including my white hunters and close friends of mine) have very poor opinions of Butch Searcy double rifles. But I’ve handled no less than five of his rifles over the years (and shot three of them). And they’ve always seemed pretty solidly built. I met him in Reno seven years ago and he seemed like an extremely polite, friendly and knowledgeable gentleman (and a veteran of the Vietnam War). Considering that he is the first American gunmaker to start building big bore double rifles, I hold a special respect in my heart for him.

I don’t mean to discredit the claims of anybody who is saying that they had a negative experience with Mr. Searcy or his wares. If anything, @matt85 ‘s experience with Mr. Searcy was pretty disconcerting. But I never lie. Based on what I’ve seen over the years, I really like what I saw.

Here’s a .600 Nitro Express boxlock ejector that he built for a friend of mine. It was used to down a big bull elephant in Botswana after the hunting ban got lifted. I’ve fired the rifle myself. Very tight groups and very fast handling. A little bulkier than say, an English double rifle. But not uncomfortably so.

I personally wouldn’t hesitate to give Mr. Searcy a chance.
IMG_1892.jpeg
IMG_1892.jpeg
IMG_1891.jpeg
IMG_1891.jpeg
IMG_1890.jpeg
IMG_1890.jpeg
IMG_1893.jpeg
IMG_1893.jpeg

Last edited:
There is a Sabatti .470N that I would much prefer over the searcy.

Winchester built at least one and possibly more. The Winchester M-21 was the basic action.

Winchester built at least one and possibly more. The Winchester M-21 was the basic action.
But not in a big bore caliber. If my memory serves me correctly, it was a .45-70 Government.

There seems to be only one other topic that garners such polarity and difference of opinion and that is with saying the word "Blaser"! I get everyone saying get a Heym... would love to but looking at double the price. I have a hard time justifying a double rifle as I am sure it will only be used a handful of times in certain situations on each safari and I would rather book another hunt, thus the reason I have not gone back to Chris to simply spend $25K and order a new one.

If the gun checks all my boxes, I just wondered if it was worth spending the money to have inspected by "JJ". My personal opinion, I have handled quite a few Merkel's and they simply do nothing for me especially at the price they just seem to have no soul. I have looked at a lot of doubles over the years and for less than 10K have not seen one that at first blush, carries these aesthetics and quality of wood.

Thanks for the feedback, we will see what Mr. Perodeau has to say once he goes through it.

Cheers,
CK

Screenshot 2024-02-17 at 9.19.44 AM.png

A lot of people (including my white hunters and close friends of mine) have very poor opinions of Butch Searcy double rifles. But I’ve handled no less than five of his rifles over the years (and shot three of them). And they’ve always seemed pretty solidly built. I met him in Reno seven years ago and he seemed like an extremely polite, friendly and knowledgeable gentleman (and a veteran of the Vietnam War). Considering that he is the first American gunmaker to start building big bore double rifles, I hold a special respect in my heart for him.

I don’t mean to discredit the claims of anybody who is saying that they had a negative experience with Mr. Searcy or his wares. If anything, @matt85 ‘s experience with Mr. Searcy was pretty disconcerting. But I never lie. Based on what I’ve seen over the years, I really like what I saw.

Here’s a .600 Nitro Express boxlock ejector that he built for a friend of mine. It was used to down a big bull elephant in Botswana after the hunting ban got lifted. I’ve fired the rifle myself. Very tight groups and very fast handling. A little bulkier than say, an English double rifle. But not uncomfortably so.

I personally wouldn’t hesitate to give Mr. Searcy a chance.
View attachment 587813View attachment 587814View attachment 587815View attachment 587816View attachment 587817View attachment 587818View attachment 587819
Thanks @Hunter-Habib, I talked with a pretty famous elephant hunter in Botswana and they constantly over last 20 years had several in camp and were used with great success. I have devised that there is a great deal of polarity of people that love them and people that know they have a bad "rep". I have decided it is worth the money to have a gunsmith go over the rifle and if it's tight and shoots well, I don't really care whose name is on it.

Get a Heym

A Searcy is essentially a German boxlock assembled by an American craftsman. From a fit and finish perspective, the base rifles are equal to or slightly better than the base rifles from Heym and clearly better than a Merkle. As far as the quality of the rifle itself, it seems to have varied from rifle to rifle. That is true of any custom operation where quality control consists of only the builder. I would without question have JJ look it over and simply figure that into the cost of the rifle. If it still is a value at that point, follow JJ's advice. If the seller will not agree to the rifle being inspected, I certainly would take that into my consideration.

A Searcy is essentially a German boxlock assembled by an American craftsman. From a fit and finish perspective, the base rifles are equal to or slightly better than the base rifles from Heym and clearly better than a Merkle. As far as the quality of the rifle itself, it seems to have varied from rifle to rifle. That is true of any custom operation where quality control consists of only the builder. I would without question have JJ look it over and simply figure that into the cost of the rifle. If it still is a value at that point, follow JJ's advice. If the seller will not agree to the rifle being inspected, I certainly would take that into my consideration.
Thanks @Red Leg, the seller is completely open to it being inspected and will offer plenty of time for JJ to thoroughly examine prior to finalizing the purchase.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RomaineBar

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.
sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.