Rare Breed

Lifetime bronze benefactor
AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
I just added the Rhino dart hunt i won this year at the DSC Atlanta Chapter with Wintershoek on the front end of my elephant hunt with Lon of Tokoloshe. I will be using my new 470 DR on the elephant hunt

i will let everyone know about the dart hunt since i have never done one…remember it is a free hunt won in the raffle. My only extra cost will be the tip. Super excited as i continue my quest to take the big 5!!!

I just added the Rhino dart hunt i won this year at the DSC Atlanta Chapter with Wintershoek on the front end of my elephant hunt with Lon of Tokoloshe. I will be using my new 470 DR on the elephant hunt

i will let everyone know about the dart hunt since i have never done one…remember it is a free hunt won in the raffle. My only extra cost will be the tip. Super excited as i continue my quest to take the big 5!!!
That seems awesome! Will this be your last of the big 5 or dangerous 7?

Have you looked into actually harvesting a rhino and the hoops it would entail?

I have two Buffs and my lion. this will give me my elephant and rhino God willing. in 2025 i am already booked for my leopard with @TSALA HUNTING SAFARIS in Moz. i just have no interest in Croc and Hippo
That’s good to know. Croc seems to be an easy and cheaper way to get into the dangerous game, but I agree those hunts don’t sound as appealing. Also seems like you can add those on at last minute while there for cheap if you wanted to

That’s good to know. Croc seems to be an easy and cheaper way to get into the dangerous game, but I agree those hunts don’t sound as appealing. Also seems like you can add those on at last minute while there for cheap if you wanted to
a good example to your point was on my hunt this year with D&Y a hippo was only $4,500 which was a great value and hunt with them. i just had no interest.

Great info. The buffalo hunt I have scheduled for 2025 they offered to add hippo and croc for like 6k. I just didn’t have much interest. Maybe when I get there I’ll get trigger happy like last time!

Thanks for the info.

a good example to your point was on my hunt this year with D&Y a hippo was only $4,500 which was a great value and hunt with them. i just had no interest.
Also, as opposed to Kuche, I haven’t read a bad review of Dalton and York. I think I would book elephant with them. Do they also do leopard/lion?

They do. the key is getting the few permits they have. i seem to recall they only had 2 leopard and one lion permit available. i will tell you we heard lions every night close to camp which was cool. A nice elephant there will be between 25-35 pounds each tusk. i also think they only had 2 permits but more not sure how many for tuskless

I
They do. the key is getting the few permits they have. i seem to recall they only had 2 leopard and one lion permit available. i will tell you we heard lions every night close to camp which was cool. A nice elephant there will be between 25-35 pounds each tusk. i also think they only had 2 permits but more not sure how many for tuskless
i just think I would want a tusked elephant for my first one. Thoughts on do a non exportable elephant and having a nice picture and maybe reproduction ivory?

That will be a wonderful trip. Darting a rhino was something I have never had any interest in until this year. I was in camp when another hunter came into camp to do a rhino dart hunt. by all accounts he seemed to have a good experience. I've seen rhino in Namibia and on my hunt this year in RSA. The idea of it seems to be growing on me.

For those of y'all not interested in hunting for hippo I know where your coming from. I didn’t either until 2021 and being around a bunch of them in the Caprivi, that changed my tune. So I hunted one, on land, this year and it was the most exhilarating hunt I’ve ever done. I’m very glad I did it but don’t think I would ever want to do it again. I still have no interest in shooting one in the water. That’s what is so great about hunting Africa, there is something for everybody’s tastes. Sorry, didn’t mean to de-rail your thread Rare Breed. Best of luck on your upcoming adventure, can’t wait to read all about it.

I did a rhino dart hunt with Wintershoek two years ago . . . I posted a story about it, but there was only so much I could say . . .!

It was a great experience, and I was very happy to complete the Big 5 in that way, rather than by killing a white rhino. The dart hunt is a lot more exciting - it's pretty easy to shoot a rhino at 100 yards, but it's not at all easy to dart one at 35 yards or less.

Hippo makes great leopard bait!

I did the same in Zambia. Gets you closer to the big five and is very useful!

I did a rhino dart hunt with Wintershoek two years ago . . . I posted a story about it, but there was only so much I could say . . .!

It was a great experience, and I was very happy to complete the Big 5 in that way, rather than by killing a white rhino. The dart hunt is a lot more exciting - it's pretty easy to shoot a rhino at 100 yards, but it's not at all easy to dart one at 35 yards or less.
I was shaking with my rhino facing me at 30 yards and finally he turned to make the shot work. You don't shoot rhino at 100 yards. They have to make very sure it is the right one to take. We stood for a good 30 minutes within 30 yards of three rhino!

Also, as opposed to Kuche, I haven’t read a bad review of Dalton and York. I think I would book elephant with them. Do they also do leopard/lion?
They do but cats and elephant book up years in advance. I can not understand my friend @Rare Breed not wanting to hunt hippo and croc at least once. Maybe he drank too much Dr. Pepper All those years! The Omay, where we hunted his year, has heaps of both of them.

Congratulations on the win and good luck on the hunt. Getting close enough to a rhino to dart him is going to be exciting.

That seems awesome! Will this be your last of the big 5 or dangerous 7?

Have you looked into actually harvesting a rhino and the hoops it would entail?
Daisy,

I got my rhino in Namibia in 2022. A permit became available and the PH asked if I wanted it. The export process on the Africa side was typical - lots of signatures, and the general attitude of "These things take time". A lot depends on how well the Operator and PH stay on top of it. Taxidermist as well, paperwork and reports end up with him. I had the hide tanned in Africa - better chemicals than here in the US but the process can take time as the tanneries only process when they have enough for a full batch.

Conservation Force handled the import paperwork and I received my permit in about a month after submission. Once the hide was finished, it was all shipped to my taxidermist in the US.

I'm still waiting on a couple elephants and a lion.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SSG Joe

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.
Vonfergus wrote on JamesJ's profile.
I am interested in the Double
Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.