Apple Air tags

Altitude sickness

Gold supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Media
What have you found when using Apple Air tags. Or Tile brand trackers.

Do they broadcast thru plastic rifle cases. Are there other concerns or findings you can share.

Are they worth the time and cost

I’ve used the apple air tags on my last couple of trips. It’s reassuring to see your bags are with you. Especially when making connections. ive noticed a delay after landing before the location is updated. i assume they don’t update while loaded inside the plane.

We use them, and they inspire confidence, but we have not (yet) needed them. Since they have to 'ping' nearby Apple phones to report location, they can take some time to update. Apparently, luggage handlers don't all use Iphones.

I use Apple Airtags, they work pretty well. On a recent African trip I arrived back to my home airport, Pittsburgh, my rifle did not arrive, I checked the app, it showed my rifle was in Newark. I showed this to the baggage agent, she did the paperwork, the airline paid to have my rifle driven 2 hours to me the next day. The Airtag quickly showed us where my gun was.

No issues during my last trip to Zim. One in each suitcase, one in ammo box, one in rifle case. Will make you nuts at the gate showing 500 yards away when you're looking at the plane watching them load cargo. But no issues.

They don't always update reliably. I left Phalaborwa SA and it showed my guns still at the airport as we flew away. It was a long flight to Joberg but when we landed, the guns showed to be on the plane.

I have one inside my gun case. I use android but my daughter has an iPhone. She watches my gun case from her home here when I fly to Africa. She texts me satt images of where the case is located anytime I ask.
IMG_5849.jpg

I have one in my Pelican case, it works, but in Africa it took a while to update, iPhones are not as popular as an Android phone.

I put one in my F250 just for the heck of it. They work quite well.

I started using AirTags last year. Handy items but as noted they need to “ping” off a nearby iPhone. on arrival home on one occasion last year I was waiting for my rifle. AirTag said it was onboard the plane. Staff said it wasn’t. I reminded them that firearms are carried in the front hold. Quizzical look at me conveying “who the fcuk do you think you are”. Anyway I saw the plane was now on pushback as they were asking the baggage handlers if they had checked the front hold. No they hadn’t, poor manifesting.
Long story short, the plane came back to the pier and I was able to go on my merry way 20 minutes later.

They are great in the "States", but, because they rely on iPhones and only to send signals via iPhone, they tend to lag in 3rd world countries, where iPhones might not be so prominent.

On a September trip to Wyoming from Georgia, they gave us much piece of mind that our guns and archery equipment made it with us, (or actually, ahead of us) to Salt Lake City.

Maybe I’ll get Tile and Air Tags.

I’m reading that Tile works off blue tooth. iPhones and Android
The Tile doesn’t have pinpoint accuracy of an AirTag though and requires a subscription

From what I understand Tile, and all others except airtags, only works if others have the tile app downloaded, which you probably only have if you have bought the tile yourself. So I am not convinced there will be many hits especially in remote areas.

There’s another tag maker called Chipolo. They make few different types of tags. The ones called “Spot” work with the native Apple Find My app just like the Apple ones. I use them and the Apple ones, they work pretty much the same. They have a hole to attach to key rings which is quite handy.

They also make Android compatible tags which might work better in some countries/areas or if you’re an Android user.

What have you found when using Apple Air tags. Or Tile brand trackers.

Do they broadcast thru plastic rifle cases. Are there other concerns or findings you can share.

Are they worth the time and cost
mine worked great. One in my gun case and one in my toilet bag in checked luggage. Great piece of mind

They work great! I have 4.
Luggage
Wallet
Keys
Backpack

But, that would require that somebody is around that has downloaded the Chipolo app, right?

No, they have 3 types of tags. One works with the Chipolo app, one works with the native Apple Find My app, and the third type works with the Google Find My Device part of the Android system. Only the first one requires Chipolo app.

Oh, really interesting with Airtag-like capability without the need of an iPhone nearby. That certainly would make it the obvious choice for countries where most have more affordable android phones.

I am gonna get some!

(strange they have not gone out big-time with this - perhaps they have and I just haven't seen it)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
headhunterlisten

Latest profile posts

We bagged a big old buff with hunter from Norway check out our post!!

I live in Tyler Texas. I like Ruger single action revolvers Ruger rifles, and Marlin and Winchester lever guns.
SETH RINGER wrote on tracker12's profile.
PARTITIONS
SEND ME PAYMENT INFO, PLEASE AND THANKS.
Khalanyoni Game Ranch wrote on Joshlee0518's profile.
Hi Joshlee0518 (please let me know if you are fine being addressed like that),

Thought I would drop you a PM. It is super exciting to plan a hunt and we are more than happy to assist you. Have you given any thought yet to which species you would like to take?

What do you hunt usually and which weapons/calibers are you using?

Look forward to swapping experiences and ideas.

Happy hunting - Daniel
Our trophy shed is filling up and we are only getting started,