Anyone tried a magnifier with red dot on large caliber dangerous game rifles?

Daisy

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
I have used on my AR’s many times, but seems perfect for dangerous red dot for most shots then flip 3-5x magnifier over for any distance.

IMG_3359.jpeg
IMG_3358.jpeg

I saw on Getaway Africa, outdoor channel, this same set up. It was on a 375 I think and used on buff. Interesting set up but not my cup of tea on a safari rifle.

I would be concerned with how it would hold up under recoil. I would definitely have to practice with it a bit to get confidence.
I have used them on AR a bunch they work well in that platform. Allowing me to make shots out to xxx yards I wouldn’t be able to with out a magnifier. Another down side the red dot will cover a lot of a target once you get out a ways.

I would be concerned with how it would hold up under recoil. I would definitely have to practice with it a bit to get confidence.
I have used them on AR a bunch they work well in that platform. Allowing me to make shots out to xxx yards I wouldn’t be able to with out a magnifier. Another down side the red dot will cover a lot of a target once you get out a ways.
They are used in military semi auto and autos in battle. Zero concerns there.

Agree it’s not for huge distances, but a 458 not meant for that anyways. Could get you to 150-200 though.

As far as the looks, it’s not like a red dot was what the old timers used! So adding magnifier no different than adding a red dot imo. Also, all are on QD mounts. Can just take off if not using in 3 seconds

They are used in military semi auto and autos in battle. Zero concerns there.

Agree it’s not for huge distances, but a 458 not meant for that anyways. Could get you to 150-200 though.

As far as the looks, it’s not like a red dot was what the old timers used! So adding magnifier no different than adding a red dot imo. Also, all are on QD mounts. Can just take off if not using in 3 seconds
I shot the red dots in the military.
Military grade only impresses people that have never been in the military.

Ha. Touché
I've heard from what seems a credible source (one of the hosts of the AR-15 podcast, a senior enlisted reservist) that in the army supply system, the official military grade beer is Coor's Light.

I would run a 1x4 - 1x8, before I did a magnifier. The weight and the moving parts would be failure points IMHO.

Need a RDS, run the scope on 1x. Need move power, turn up the power ring.

I run plain rds, some with magnifiers, and some with scopes (AR platforms). They all have their place, for hunting. Keep it simple.

I would run a 1x4 - 1x8, before I did a magnifier. The weight and the moving parts would be failure points IMHO.

Need a RDS, run the scope on 1x. Need move power, turn up the power ring.

I run plain rds, some with magnifiers, and some with scopes (AR platforms). They all have their place, for hunting. Keep it simple.
That’s what I do. I just was going through my safe to sell some stuff and came across an eotech g33.

It does seem some are partial to red dots on their large caliber rifles though.

I shot the red dots in the military.
Military grade only impresses people that have never been in the military.
Yes, military grade = meets minimum specs for cheapest price

Would love to get Nightforce comment on that one....

I have used on my AR’s many times, but seems perfect for dangerous red dot for most shots then flip 3-5x magnifier over for any distance.

View attachment 580814View attachment 580815
my opinion just too bulky on a double…might as well use a scope. Whoever one day can make a red dot that has a built in magnifier AT THE SIZE of a small red dot will corner the market

my opinion just too bulky on a double…might as well use a scope. Whoever one day can make a red dot that has a built in magnifier AT THE SIZE of a small red dot will corner the market

Making a 3x rds is not the problem. It is the true 1X and adjustable to 3-5X is the issue. Especially when LPVO are already on the market. No one wants a 3X rds, it does not fit the needs.

That’s what I do. I just was going through my safe to sell some stuff and came across an eotech g33.

It does seem some are partial to red dots on their large caliber rifles though.

I'm running the g45s on mine, with aimpoint in front of them.

Cool my man. I got into tactical stuff 10-12 years ago, haven’t don’t as much in recent years. I have a 512 laying around but I’m aim point all the way now. Have one on my crossbow, le6920, and mp5. Toying with idea of trying it on a shotgun.

I agree with you. A mvo (not really low anymore) looks strange in a double. Why I was thinking run a small aimpoint, but have a qd magnifier in bag. Could pop on for longer shot.

None of this is needs! All wants at this point.

Cool my man. I got into tactical stuff 10-12 years ago, haven’t don’t as much in recent years. I have a 512 laying around but I’m aim point all the way now. Have one on my crossbow, le6920, and mp5. Toying with idea of trying it on a shotgun.

I run an Aimpoint on my M4 Benelli

My guess on a 416 or bigger the moving parts of flipping a magnifier up would take a beating, plus it gives Mr Murphy just another avenue to cause problems. If you need a magnification just put a good scope with a dot and call it a day.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BMR0728

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.
sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.
Vonfergus wrote on JamesJ's profile.
I am interested in the Double