Anyone notice the US$ to Rand

I have read where the money people think that the spread will go to 15 Rand to 1 USD.

Currently it is 12.35 Rand to 1 USD.

So yes i am watching it and will make a move when i think i have a good deal.

I'm heading to SA in July. seems like I'd be better off exchanging my US dollars into rand. I'm gonna need spending cash and dip pack money. Any thoughts on this?

I'm heading to SA in July. seems like I'd be better off exchanging my US dollars into rand. I'm gonna need spending cash and dip pack money. Any thoughts on this?

sure seems to be a good time... I wonder if some of the business people might not even want dollars as hedge, or investment.? Dunno

Is this a record, less than 10/1 last summer.

I found a historical chart showing that in early 2005, the rand was just over 5 to 1 on the dollar.

Yup it is a 13 year low... Please note that this does not mean that safaris should become cheaper as all our expenses are getting higher... ;) :) ;) :) ;)

Our currency is land sliding...

Not good for our economy...

My best always

I can't help it!

Yup it is a 13 year low... Please note that this does not mean that safaris should become cheaper as all our expenses are getting higher... ;) :) ;) :) ;)

Our currency is land sliding...

Not good for our economy...

My best always

I can't help it!

If I were going on safari with you, and I told you I was paying all cash, which currency would you want, rand or dollar?

Thanks sierraone cash is king, (probably $ in a off shore account!) I just read that our fuel price because of this... is increasing by R2 a litre ending March, which should put us at between 4 - 5 $ a gallon!
Holly sheep shit! I can feel my colon cramping! :) :)
Ouch!

Ps those are smiley faces of un comfortability!

Last edited:
Thanks sierraone cash is king, (probably $ in a off shore account!) I just read that our fuel price because of this... is increasing by R2 a litre ending March, which should put us at about $5 a gallon!
Holly sheep shit! I can feel my colon cramping! :) :)
Ouch!

Ps those are smiley faces of un comfortability!

So your preference would be U.S. dollars, do you have an offshore account or is that a joke, seriously I don't know!

If I dont I should.... ;)
:) :)

If I dont I should.... ;)
:) :)

I plan on hunting in S.A. next year and I am trying get all of the administrative details clear in my mind which include paying the safari operator. It will be a relatively short hunt of only a few plains animals and if I can prevent administrative screw ups, I can spend all of my time there hunting and enjoying the hunt!

It's very easy to streamline payment I almost send every client home and they transfer funds once back home to a designated account....

Some cash is always nice also... We have several foreign currency accounts.

My best always

The thing is, South Africa is a rand economy. Everything there is in rand but we pay in US dollars. The British pound, the last time I looked was about 17 rand to the pound. So, my little mean Scottish thoughts are that I should be able to get my hunt "cheaper". I didn't realise that the and v dollar rate had changed so much.
Will my hunt become "cheaper"?

I'm coming in August and plan to bring some Rand that I already have. However, I will bring US $ for tips for my PH and camp staff.

We have two currencies when it comes to price lists. $ and Euro those are the two.

What ever the equivalent is of pounds to $ or Euro is what it is you can choose.

This is because we are focused on those two markets, it is virtually impossible to have price lists for every currency.

Our polish and Norwegian clients work on our $ price lists as well..

Euro countries work on Euro.

My best always

Is this a record, less than 10/1 last summer.

The outfitters in RSA will be paying us to hunt there before you know it!:D

If you fly SAA the entire trip may be free!:eek:

Definitely feeling it over here. Booking for all the shows next year is not cheep!

FOR ANY AMERICANS WANTING TO CARRY RAND WITH THEM. This is current as of Wed, 11 March, 2015....On the Travelex Worldwide Money web site, $1000 U.S gets you 10,600 Rand delivered to your home. No shipping charge on $1000 or more. Using Bank of America, $1000 gets you 11,600 rand plus a $7.50 service charge. You pick it up at your local bank in 2-3 days. I was surprised that the bank rate was that much better.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ddragontiger4d

Latest profile posts

sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.
Vonfergus wrote on JamesJ's profile.
I am interested in the Double
Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.