Any reason not to use a 300 PRC for Plains Game??

I have a tendency to obsess about certain guns. Having said this, I purchased a Christensen Ridgeline in 6.5 PRC and took it on a hunt with Dave Freeburn. It was fantastic. After that, I just had to have the .300 PRC. I got another Christensen Ridgeline. After, I found myself with mixed feelings. I decided to take it the Eastern Cape on my hunt with Western Safaris in May 2023. I hadn't found a handload that made me happy, but the factory Hornady 190-grain CX shot amazingly out of the rifle.
Mother of God, that thing is awesome. I came to realize that it effectively replaces several of my previous "go-to" rifles.
I'm taking it as a second rifle on my Buffalo hunt with Dave Freeburn in June. It's more than I actually need for Limpopo Bushbuck, but it will be perfect for everything else I might go after.
I detailed the loss of my ammo in April/May 2022 hunt with KMG. If I'd had less trust in United to Un-F themselves, I would have taken Marius's offer of picking up .416 Ruger while I was stuck in Frankfurt.
I'm sure we will stop by the Safari Outdoors store before heading to Dave's lodge. I make it a point to see what newer calibers are available. I'll look for .300 PRC.

Well heck. Ok. Thanks.

Are there sporting goods stores over there that sells ammo? What is common over there? 308 win, 30-06, 300 WM? How about in 7mm.... 7-08, 7RM?
Don’t count on finding ammo in a store. See if your outfitter has what you need.

All the options you listed are probably available with 300WM and 30-06 being the most common.

I’m a one gun safari guy and ALWAYS take my 375H&H, however my wife also has a rifle in 300WM so technically it’s a two gun trip.

I like having the ability to take DG if a spectacular trophy presents itself. And the 375 is an easy shooter, even for me at 70” and 160 lbs. Plus the 375 is really good medicine for for nearly everything in Africa.

I took all of my plains game, including Eland, with my 300 PRC using Barnes 190 LRX bullets. I am very thankful I took two rifles and was not limited to only my .375 H&H. Some of the shots I made with the 300 I would not have attempted with the .375.

All shots were complete pass through and none went more than 20 yds.

Hunting in South Africa?
So if you look in the large stores in the big metro areas (Johannesburg, Pretoria) you will find 300 PRC.
A whole batch of Howa rifles were imported in this caliber , components too.

So in a pinch you will be sorted at Safari and Outdoor who currently have ELD-X from Hornady showing in stock.
My only comment is that bullets and loads for this tend to be target orientated and not great for hunting.
But to save a hunt you can lob 212gr ELD-X at pretty much any plains game and it will "work"

There seems to be a misconception that only heirloom, i.e. vintage, cartridges, bullets, and ammo are the only things available in South Africa. Been in three gun shops there and this wasn't the case.

What bullets are you shooting from your 300 PRC? For African game the vitals are further forward and you aim on the shoulder not behind the shoulder like North American game. Most of the target bullets available are not designed to hold up on those kind of shots especially on a bigger animal, but there are a couple good factory options and unlimited hand loading options for tough hunting bullets.
I don't have loads sorted yet but my first attempt is usually with TSX as I've had good results across a wide range of animals with that bullet. I also shoot some Accubond and Oryx but primarily TSX. I could probably find a good load with A-frames but I've got a lot of the other bullets on hand and they are easy to replace.

Also, I have not hunted with my 300 PRC yet but I've had many hunts with a 6.5 PRC. The 300 is for some future plans in mind.

What bullets are you shooting from your 300 PRC? For African game the vitals are further forward and you aim on the shoulder not behind the shoulder like North American game. Most of the target bullets available are not designed to hold up on those kind of shots especially on a bigger animal, but there are a couple good factory options and unlimited hand loading options for tough hunting bullets.

I roll my own and use 200 grain Nosler Accubond.

I have a tendency to obsess about certain guns. Having said this, I purchased a Christensen Ridgeline in 6.5 PRC and took it on a hunt with Dave Freeburn. It was fantastic. After that, I just had to have the .300 PRC. I got another Christensen Ridgeline. After, I found myself with mixed feelings. I decided to take it the Eastern Cape on my hunt with Western Safaris in May 2023. I hadn't found a handload that made me happy, but the factory Hornady 190-grain CX shot amazingly out of the rifle.
Mother of God, that thing is awesome. I came to realize that it effectively replaces several of my previous "go-to" rifles.
I'm taking it as a second rifle on my Buffalo hunt with Dave Freeburn in June. It's more than I actually need for Limpopo Bushbuck, but it will be perfect for everything else I might go after.
I detailed the loss of my ammo in April/May 2022 hunt with KMG. If I'd had less trust in United to Un-F themselves, I would have taken Marius's offer of picking up .416 Ruger while I was stuck in Frankfurt.
I'm sure we will stop by the Safari Outdoors store before heading to Dave's lodge. I make it a point to see what newer calibers are available. I'll look for .300 PRC.

Thanks!!

I roll my own and use 200 grain Nosler Accubond.
Then you are set. Use your 300 PRC if you want to. Here are some 200 gr accubonds from kudu and gemsbok this March from 300 win. Not my favorite, but they held up decently well, and hit hard.
IMG_4650.jpeg

Nice!!! I'm curious what is your favorite?
For Africa, I’d generally prefer a bullet that retains more mass even if it gives up some target accuracy. Swift A Frames have been the bullet that’s given me reliable performance every single time with my 300 H&H and 375 H&H. My 300 win I’ve experimented on bullets some. I’d have some concerns with accubonds on heavy bone at closer range. I only weighed one bullet and it was 62% weight retention. I like Barnes as well but I’ve seen some irregularities with penetration that would cause me to pick and choose where I use them given a choice. Most bonded lead bullets I think are acceptable but I think many non-bonded bullets are borderline irresponsible for African hunting above medium size plains game. Also, maybe the advertising here is starting to get to me, but I’d really like to give cutting edge bullets a try.

For Africa, I’d generally prefer a bullet that retains more mass even if it gives up some target accuracy.

Im exactly the same...

I found balance for most of my rifles with barnes ttsx and tsx... but tried a lot of different things before I got there...

while they are very accurate in most of my rifles, there are some cases where old school partitions (my 375), accubonds (one of my 308's and my 30-06), etc.. are a wee bit more accurate..

Im ok to give that up though (Im still at 1MOA or better with barnes in every rifle once I find the right powder recipe) in exchange for the downrange performance, penetration, and weight retention of the barnes...

A-frames were very similar to barnes in most of my rifles (similar accuracy, and known for excellent weight retention, penetration, etc)... but at the time I was doing a whole lot of buying A-frames were both much harder to come by and also a good bit more expensive.. so I went the barnes route... truth be told I could have been equally happy with either..

Here in the good old R.S.A, the 300 PRC is catching on in some circles, but it’s far from popular. Loaded with premium, controlled expansion or monolithic bullets, it’s plenty for ANY plains game.

Also, maybe the advertising here is starting to get to me, but I’d really like to give cutting edge bullets a try.
I don't have any experience on game with softs from NF or CEB...but I really like the NF solids. Right now, my working combination is TSX or A-frames for softs...and NF cupped point solids. I might also try the CEB solids going forward but the cupped point has given me NO reason to look elsewhere. They are very accurate and get a ton of penetration. I've mentioned here before but the cupped point solid also has a very loud report on hitting game; it's like a loud slap and you see dust lift up from all over the body of the animal. It's noticeably different from other solids.

I don't have any experience on game with softs from NF or CEB...but I really like the NF solids. Right now, my working combination is TSX or A-frames for softs...and NF cupped point solids. I might also try the CEB solids going forward but the cupped point has given me NO reason to look elsewhere. They are very accurate and get a ton of penetration. I've mentioned here before but the cupped point solid also has a very loud report on hitting game; it's like a loud slap and you see dust lift up from all over the body of the animal. It's noticeably different from other solids.
I have not used either. The design of north fork softs (and Rhino Bullets) looks identical to trophy bonded bear claw. I’ve only used trophy bonded bear claws once in my 375 H&H but they are every bit equal or better than the swift A frames to me. I think both bullets would be equally good.

There seems to be a misconception that only heirloom, i.e. vintage, cartridges, bullets, and ammo are the only things available in South Africa. Been in three gun shops there and this wasn't the case.
Agreed, but if you have worked up a specific load or your rifle only likes brand X bullets in whatever weight...it could be an issue. At least depending on the variance in accuracy. I would not want to show up and only find NP's available, even if it's just a PG hunt.

Seems that folks who’ve hunted in the Eastern Cape and the Kalahari have reported longer shots than those who hunt in the Limpopo. So the reach of a300PRC might see an application in EC and the desert. My longest shot in the Limpopo was probably 120 yards. No issue for my 375H&H.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ZTSChris49

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

FDP wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Good morning. I'll take all of them actually. Whats the next step? Thanks, Derek
Have a look af our latest post on the biggest roan i ever guided on!

I realize how hard the bug has bit. I’m on the cusp of safari #2 and I’m looking to plan #3 with my 11 year old a year from now while looking at my work schedule for overtime and computing the math of how many shifts are needed….
Safari Dave wrote on Kevin Peacocke's profile.
I'd like to get some too.

My wife (a biologist, like me) had to have a melanoma removed from her arm last fall.
Grat wrote on HUNTROMANIA's profile.
Hallo Marius- do you have possibilities for stags in September during the roar? Where are your hunting areas in Romania?