Any reason not to use a 300 PRC for Plains Game??

ColinR

AH member
Reaction score
I did some searching and don't see much of anything on 300 PRC here...... I have a custom 300 PRC push feed action (Definace). Any reason not to take that for a plains game hunt? In the event luggage gets lost and I need to buy ammo, is there 300 PRC in Africa to buy? Is it possible to ship ammo to the outfitter in Africa so he already has it and I don't have to worry about it getting lost on the plane? Guess they could lose the entire rifle and then I'm screwed anyway. LOL

I would say take it if you want to use it. Lost ammo is a possibility, but not likely. And you can confirm with the outfitter, but worst case scenario you can rent a camp rifle if you don’t have ammo. It is more than capable of taking plains game, as I’m sure you’re already aware.

300 PRC would hammer plains game. Make sure your bullet is Africa appropriate. Ammo would have to travel with you. Buying 300PRC in Africa would be unlikely.

Lost ammo can happen (only a few times, so far) but so can lots of other things! It's only a problem, if it's a problem...

As they say, "It depends". What terrain, what game and what distances are expected? A search on using a 300 WM may give some insight on bullets preferred.

I am super impressed with everything Ive seen about the 300 PRC in terms of accuracy, ballistics, etc...

My only concern would be whether or not its really needed? Its got substantially more recoil than a 300 WM or 300 H&H (about 15% higher in most cases where Ive compared notes).. which either means youre going to have to increase the weight of the rifle a good bit to tame it, or work yourself through being able to mitigate the recoil (some charts I have read show it having as much as 42ft lbs of recoil energy.. which is more than a 375 h&h shooting 300gr projectiles by a decent margin.. although most Ive seen put it somewhere in the 38lb range)... and the increased range and accuracy, while very cool for long distance shooters, snipers, etc.. Im not sure really brings a lot of advantage when youre talking 0-400 yard shots (most places in southern Africa the shots are going to be A LOT shorter than 400 yards.. most are going to be in the 0-150 yard range, with maybe an occasional shot in the 150-250 range.. and anything beyond that is going to be pretty rare unless you are specifically asking the PH for long distance opportunities)...

I figure my 300 H&H is light enough to carry all day long in the field, easily gets me 1 MOA with about anything I feed it.. and has enough ooomph behind it to put down anything from an impala to a eland at up to 400 yards.. all while only producing about 60% of the recoil of the 300 PRC (on the highest tables Ive seen... realistically its probably about 25% less).. and ammo is readily available both in the US and in most places in Southern Africa... so thats the direction I went...

All of that said.. if you already own a 300 PRC, like it, shoot it well, etc.. by all means take it to Africa and enjoy it! its not common for ammo not to arrive (although it does happen).. if that occurs, its almost guaranteed your PH will have a camp gun for you to use until the ammo makes it to you.. and you'll still have a great hunt.. (in Africa you just roll with the punches.. sometimes things happen...)...

My Montana elf hunting outfitter bought a couple "Best of the West" rifles (they actually call them shooting systems, rifle+scope+suppressor) in 300 PRC and are offering them for clients use. If they think a 300 PRC is good for elk, then it's good for African PG. Put the bullet in the right spot is still key.

As others have stated…possible (but unlikely) lost luggage that has your ammo in it.

Double check with your outfitter to make sure they have a rifle available that’s PG appropriate in the event of your bag not making it in time.

Use premium bullets like the Swift A-Frame, Barnes TSX/TTSX or Norma Oryx in an appropriate weight.

Other than that, you should be good. Shoot straight.

Yep, lost luggage would be my concern. I lost luggage going to Russia in 2018, and my rifle made it, but no bullets. I was shooting a 300 RUM. I bought 10 rounds from a shifty-eyed Russian in a dark alleyway for $300 US.

I don't think mailing it will work. In early December 2023 I mailed a Christmas card to my Botswana PH's home in Botswana. He sent me a WhatsApp text on April 27, 2024 that the Christmas card had finally arrived. . . . I don't think mail is a valid option. Even without possible restrictions on ammunition or components.

I am super impressed with everything Ive seen about the 300 PRC in terms of accuracy, ballistics, etc...

My only concern would be whether or not its really needed? Its got substantially more recoil than a 300 WM or 300 H&H (about 15% higher in most cases where Ive compared notes).. which either means youre going to have to increase the weight of the rifle a good bit to tame it, or work yourself through being able to mitigate the recoil (some charts I have read show it having as much as 42ft lbs of recoil energy.. which is more than a 375 h&h shooting 300gr projectiles by a decent margin.. although most Ive seen put it somewhere in the 38lb range)... and the increased range and accuracy, while very cool for long distance shooters, snipers, etc.. Im not sure really brings a lot of advantage when youre talking 0-400 yard shots (most places in southern Africa the shots are going to be A LOT shorter than 400 yards.. most are going to be in the 0-150 yard range, with maybe an occasional shot in the 150-250 range.. and anything beyond that is going to be pretty rare unless you are specifically asking the PH for long distance opportunities)...

I figure my 300 H&H is light enough to carry all day long in the field, easily gets me 1 MOA with about anything I feed it.. and has enough ooomph behind it to put down anything from an impala to a eland at up to 400 yards.. all while only producing about 60% of the recoil of the 300 PRC (on the highest tables Ive seen... realistically its probably about 25% less).. and ammo is readily available both in the US and in most places in Southern Africa... so thats the direction I went...

All of that said.. if you already own a 300 PRC, like it, shoot it well, etc.. by all means take it to Africa and enjoy it! its not common for ammo not to arrive (although it does happen).. if that occurs, its almost guaranteed your PH will have a camp gun for you to use until the ammo makes it to you.. and you'll still have a great hunt.. (in Africa you just roll with the punches.. sometimes things happen...)...

My 14 year old can shoot my 300 PRC all day that is only 9.8 lbs with scope and suppressor. The suppressor does do a good job of taming the recoil.

Yep, lost luggage would be my concern. I lost luggage going to Russia in 2018, and my rifle made it, but no bullets. I was shooting a 300 RUM. I bought 10 rounds from a shifty-eyed Russian in a dark alleyway for $300 US.

I don't think mailing it will work. In early December 2023 I mailed a Christmas card to my Botswana PH's home in Botswana. He sent me a WhatsApp text on April 27, 2024 that the Christmas card had finally arrived. . . . I don't think mail is a valid option. Even without possible restrictions on ammunition or components.

Well heck. Ok. Thanks.

Are there sporting goods stores over there that sells ammo? What is common over there? 308 win, 30-06, 300 WM? How about in 7mm.... 7-08, 7RM?

My only issue with this response is I read over and over here that 375 h&h is the perfect one gun solution in Africa. Most say don’t take two guns and just take your plains game with it. And most downplay the recoil in that situation.

My only issue with this response is I read over and over here that 375 h&h is the perfect one gun solution in Africa. Most say don’t take two guns and just take your plains game with it. And most downplay the recoil in that situation.
And I am still a few years out from my trip over and since I don't have a DG rifle I just may build one. I will say, I have never shot a 375 H&H but I can't even begin to imagine that it kicks the same or less than my 300 PRC which to me has little recoil when shooting suppressed.

Well heck. Ok. Thanks.

Are there sporting goods stores over there that sells ammo? What is common over there? 308 win, 30-06, 300 WM? How about in 7mm.... 7-08, 7RM?
All of those, .243 and .300 PRC The Hornady cartridges like the 6.5 Creedmoor and the PRCs have a following in South Africa. I was in this shop a few years ago in Blomfontein and they had a good supply of ammo. Can always call or whatsapp ahead of time.

"My Montana elf hunting outfitter"...

Are those draw tags @375 Ruger Fan , or OTC? Do you have to build up points? I don't have the Rocky Mountain subspecies yet, and I have a spot on my shelf just waiting for a really good one.

(sorry... I simply could not help myself this morning)

I see no reason it won’t work, especially with the right bullets. The rifle itself will have more to do with it than the cartridge. How well can you shoot it from field positions?

I have a 300 PRC and would use it for PG with premium bullets. I have mine setup for sheep and goat hunts that might need some reach across terrain. That's the main difference in most Africa hunts...shots are much closer than mountain hunts.

Im of the opinion if youre only going to take 1 gun, a 375 is a very good option... but.. for me at least, thats rarely the situation since I typically travel with my wife (also a hunter).. so we usually end up with a 308 and a 375 between us, and I have the option of grabbing the smaller/lighter rifle whenever appropriate (albeit a very short rifle for my orangutan length arms lol)...

that said, if I knew I was hunting PG only, and didnt have an eland on the menu... for me, a 308 is about perfect for everything else... and if I think I might face some longer shots, or I think an eland is on the menu, the 300 H&H readily fits the bill... its only if I think there might be a buff that works its way into the equation along with PG that I (personally) think the 375 really brings any advantage..

Im pretty recoil indifferent... Im a big, beefy guy (plenty of natural fiber recoil pad between the butt of the rifle and my shoulder bones lol)... and have been shooting stout recoiling rifles most of my life.. so Im not worried about developing as flinch, or the potential for a bruise, etc.. that some get concerned with... but.. if I dont have to experience more recoil, I dont set out just to get kicked when unnecessary.. and definitely see the value in recoil reduction for follow up shots, etc (which is the primary reason I started hunting with suppressors... the sound reduction is nice.. but the recoil reduction has been invaluable when going after sounders of hogs, etc..)...

I have a 300 PRC and would use it for PG with premium bullets. I have mine setup for sheep and goat hunts that might need some reach across terrain. That's the main difference in most Africa hunts...shots are much closer than mountain hunts.
this is where I think the 7mm PRC and 300 PRC likely really shine... were I looking for a new rifle to take on a goat or sheep hunt I'd probably look really hard at PRC options.. and likely be willing to put up with the extra recoil on the shoulder and intentionally look for a very light weight rifle that wouldnt be so hard to hump up and down the mountains... (carry it a lot... shoot it a little sort of equation going on in my mind)...

that said... Ive got a 300 H&H.. and since Im a cheap ass at heart... were I planning a goat hunt right now.. I'd probably just take it instead of buying a PRC lol...

What bullets are you shooting from your 300 PRC? For African game the vitals are further forward and you aim on the shoulder not behind the shoulder like North American game. Most of the target bullets available are not designed to hold up on those kind of shots especially on a bigger animal, but there are a couple good factory options and unlimited hand loading options for tough hunting bullets.

"My Montana elf hunting outfitter"...

Are those draw tags @375 Ruger Fan , or OTC? Do you have to build up points? I don't have the Rocky Mountain subspecies yet, and I have a spot on my shelf just waiting for a really good one.

(sorry... I simply could not help myself this morning)

OTC! Packing out an elf is much easier than and elk, or a deer for that matter. Usually takes only one trip. Much smaller targe, so you got to get close. Real hunting!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GildaHarkn

Latest profile posts

SSG Joe wrote on piratensafaris's profile.
From one newbie to another, Welcome aboard!
BLAAUWKRANTZ safaris wrote on Greylin's profile.
We have just completed a group hunt with guys from North Carolina, please feel free to contact the organizers of the group, Auburn at auburn@opextechnologies.com or Courtney at courtney@opextechnologies.com Please visit our website www.blaauwkrantz.com and email me at zanidixie@gmail.com
Zani
FDP wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Good morning. I'll take all of them actually. Whats the next step? Thanks, Derek
Have a look af our latest post on the biggest roan i ever guided on!

I realize how hard the bug has bit. I’m on the cusp of safari #2 and I’m looking to plan #3 with my 11 year old a year from now while looking at my work schedule for overtime and computing the math of how many shifts are needed….