Any Problems with "Heym"?

I've watched, studied many of Sulivan's VHS for 20 years, we all like it & he's without a doubt, Professional.
However, I'm just curious if "He's ever Shot anything Other than Heym"? that he was happy with?
Has anybody spoke with him on this matter?
Thank you.

I've watched, studied many of Sulivan's VHS for 20 years, we all like it & he's without a doubt, Professional.
However, I'm just curious if "He's ever Shot anything Other than Heym"? that he was happy with?
Yes, several:
- Marcel Thys
- Charles Osborne
- Army & Navy
- William Evans
- Joseph Lang
- Watson Bros (a .700 Nitro Express from them is the only double rifle Mark ever had custom made for him)

Mark only started using Heym about ten years ago. Currently, he uses a Heym Model 88B boxlock ejector in .577 Nitro Express (which he bought from a client). He intends to keep it for life. He sold his other double rifles. He would have liked to retain his Marcel Thys .600 Nitro Express sidelock ejector as well (which he used from 1996 to 2002). But that double rifle developed a serious double discharging issue (due to Mark's overtly hot handloads, which were pushing 900Gr Woodleigh bullets to 2000fps) and so he sold it.

Mark's a friend and extremely knowledgeable about double rifles. Although he and I disagree about the ammunition choice for Cape buffalo. He prefers solids exclusively, and I prefer premium grade expanding bullets.

Yes, several:
- Marcel Thys
- Charles Osborne
- Army & Navy
- William Evans
- Joseph Lang
- Watson Bros (a .700 Nitro Express from them is the only double rifle Mark ever had custom made for him)

Mark only started using Heym about ten years ago. Currently, he uses a Heym Model 88B boxlock ejector in .577 Nitro Express (which he bought from a client). He intends to keep it for life. He sold his other double rifles. He would have liked to retain his Marcel Thys .600 Nitro Express sidelock ejector as well (which he used from 1996 to 2002). But that double rifle developed a serious double discharging issue (due to Mark's overtly hot handloads, which were pushing 900Gr Woodleigh bullets to 2000fps) and so he sold it.

Mark's a friend and extremely knowledgeable about double rifles. Although he and I disagree about the ammunition choice for Cape buffalo. He prefers solids exclusively, and I prefer premium grade expanding bullets.
Thank You.
I "have read, here" on the forum, that he won't allow certain Manufacturers to be used on his Hunts.
I took it with a grain of salt, Unless That's True?

Last edited:
Thank You.
I "have read, here" on the forum, that he won't allow certain Manufacturers to be used on his Hunts.
I took it with a grain of salt ..
He personally doesn't like Blaser or Kreighoff (due to the safety) or Butch Searcy (due to the triggers). And he sometimes comically says that he won't allow them. Just like he calls a .470 Nitro Express a "Lady's Gun". But he's far more broadminded than people think he is. In reality, he's let clients hunt with all three.

He doesn't like Blaser or Kreighoff or Butch Searcy. And he sometimes comically says that he won't allow it. Just like he calls a .470 Nitro Express a "Lady's Gun". But he's far more broadminded than people think he is.
Ok, ... Thanks for the Clarity!
And the 470 comment, that was great ,, sounds like a great guy.

Ok, ... Thanks for the Clarity!
And the 470 comment, that was great ,, sounds like a great guy.
Best way to describe Mark would be “The Donald Trump of hunters”. A lot of people disgust President Trump due to his politically incorrect way of talking, instead of assessing him by his actions. Mark is a lot like that. He likes to joke around and make some statements which riles people up because they take his statements too literally. He jokes that the .470 NE is a lady’s gun and everybody thinks that he’s being serious (ignoring the fact that several of his clients hunt with .470 NE rifles). He jokes that he won’t allow Blaser or Kreior Butch Searcy double rifles in his camp and everybody takes him literally, ignoring the fact that he’s let clients hunt with all three makes.

When I met him in Spain and told him that I‘ve taken all of my Cape buffalo with a .375 Holland & Holland Magnum, he called me a sissy. And I retorted by calling him a barbarian for resorting to using a .600 NE. We both burst out laughing, because we knew that we were both joking. In his book “Fear No Death”, he even dedicated a section to the .375 Holland & Holland Flanged Magnum and also the .470 NE … praising both of them.

Best way to describe Mark would be “The Donald Trump of hunters”. A lot of people disgust President Trump due to his politically incorrect way of talking, instead of assessing him by his actions. Mark is a lot like that. He likes to joke around and make some statements which riles people up because they take his statements too literally. He jokes that the .470 NE is a lady’s gun and everybody thinks that he’s being serious (ignoring the fact that several of his clients hunt with .470 NE rifles). He jokes that he won’t allow Blaser or Kreior Butch Searcy double rifles in his camp and everybody takes him literally, ignoring the fact that he’s let clients hunt with all three makes.

When I met him in Spain and told him that I‘ve taken all of my Cape buffalo with a .375 Holland & Holland Magnum, he called me a sissy. And I retorted by calling him a barbarian for resorting to using a .600 NE. We both burst out laughing, because we knew that we were both joking. In his book “Fear No Death”, he even dedicated a section to the .375 Holland & Holland Flanged Magnum and also the .470 NE … praising both of them.
He sounds like that like that kind of Person & it's a wonderful thing.
Thank you for taking the time to correspond on behalf of all the above, great stories sir! Regards, Dan.

He may be a nice guy in person, but it’s his actions that I take issue with. With regards to wounded buffalo he:

1: refrains from taking follow up/ finishing shots when presented;
2: under the absurd principal of allowing the buffalo to “choose how he is going to die”
3: for the purpose of inviting the buffalo to charge.
4: which results in prolonged suffering for the animal and unnecessary risk for the hunters.

"We can shoot him right now or we can let that Buffalo decide how it's gone die"

These are not my morals, nor the morals of 99% of the hunting community. It’s sad that Heym would associate with him

He may be a nice guy in person, but it’s his actions that I take issue with. With regards to wounded buffalo he:

1: refrains from taking follow up/ finishing shots when presented;
2: under the absurd principal of allowing the buffalo to “choose how he is going to die”
3: for the purpose of inviting the buffalo to charge.
4: which results in prolonged suffering for the animal and unnecessary risk for the hunters.

"We can shoot him right now or we can let that Buffalo decide how it's gone die"

These are not my morals, nor the morals of 99% of the hunting community. It’s sad that Heym would associate with him
I understand that hunting with Mark is not for everybody. And for several years before I actually got to know the man himself, my opinion of him was nothing but negative. After I got to know Mark better, I started rewatching his films with an analytical eye.

The numbers are below:
The total number of charges filmed in 16 years is only 14. The total times Mark killed the animal rather than the client is two, and the number of unprovoked hippo charges five out of six (the one hippo bull which was provoked into charging, had sand kicked at him but Mark never wounded him) and the number of buffalo charges is a total of eight. That’s nowhere as much as people claim. I can actually do a breakdown of the films to illustrate my point. And those who’ve actually hunted with Mark, couldn’t be happier with his services.

Look, I understand that he might not always be perfectly morally scrupulous in terms of the way he hunts (who amongst us always has been?). But I also find that a lot of the stories about Mark are grossly exaggerated. Some of the most hilarious ones are:
1) He shoots Cape buffalo in the genitals with a .22LR in order to provoke charges (I wonder what kind of drugs the originator of this rumor was was on, when he perpetuated it).
2) He once shot 20 Cape buffalo illegally in Tanzania to get the perfect video footage of a charging Cape buffalo (imagine even getting away with something with that without the authorities finding out).
3) That his “Psychotic” behavior resulted in a divorce (while in reality, he and Kathy have been happily married for over 50 years and she helped him start Nitro Express Safaris).

Again, Yes. His words like “Going into battle” or “That buffalo is going to choose how he will die” are often considered inappropriate by many other hunters. But the truth is that they’re just dramatic words. Mark himself frequently finds it hilarious why other people take his words so seriously, when he himself doesn’t.

Last edited:
Please let's not go through all this Mark Sulivan hate trip again. I think we are all guilty of doing and saying some stupid stuff but few of us are sufficiently famous, thankfully, for it to get out there. As the Bible says - let he who is without blame cast the firts stone.

Mr. Sulivans's signature Heym though: .. Jumbo, Side plates 'c light scroll, or 's ..

I am curious what this went for? or initial cost? https://www.gunsinternational.com/g...-express-ph-double-rifle.cfm?gun_id=100871787

1663013330493.png

Many Thanks!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-09-13 at 6.53.49 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-09-13 at 6.53.49 AM.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 62
  • Screen Shot 2022-09-13 at 6.53.50 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-09-13 at 6.53.50 AM.png
    2 MB · Views: 62
  • Screen Shot 2022-09-13 at 6.53.51 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-09-13 at 6.53.51 AM.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 56
Last edited:
Please let's not go through all this Mark Sulivan hate trip again. I think we are all guilty of doing and saying some stupid stuff but few of us are sufficiently famous, thankfully, for it to get out there. As the Bible says - let he who is without blame cast the firts stone.
It’s not a matter of some momentary lapse in judgment. It’s his core beliefs that he has promoted to obtain his fame. He made video after video promoting the same nonsense over and over. As far as I know he has never retraced any of his statements of otherwise disavowed the practice of delaying finishing shots the give the animal an opportunity to charge.

I try not to post much negative stuff on here, but this place is in a way a reflection on Africa hunting as a whole, and I find it problematic to see post after post about what a wonderful gentleman he is.

I'm sorry I brought this up, I just wondered if Mark ever used anything other than a Heym in his Hunts ;

At least I know what a "Chinstrap" is now!

I'm sorry I brought this up, I just wondered if Mark ever used anything other than a Heym in his Hunts ;

At least I know what a "Chinstrap" is now!
You can see in his movies the rifles and cartridges used, one of his favored for a few years was the .450-400 3.25 inch and it proved well good .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rkcipl

Latest profile posts

USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.
SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.