Any problems using KLM to fly from JFK to Amsterdam to Johannesburg?

enysse

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
Northeast Wisconsin SCI chapter, Lifetime member of NRA,RMEF
Hunted
Namibia, South Africa (East Cape, Guateng and Limpopo)
Trying to buy airline tickets on a budget. Other than firearms permit needed in Amsterdam, are there any major negatives to flying this route?

I would love to fly from Milwaukee to Atlanta and then to Johannesburg but the price is over $1000 more.

Just looking for input. I want to bring my 7mm Rem Mag with me to Africa.

Firearms Permit is free and it can be done electronically.
Friends of mine prefer KLM to other airlines to get to JNB.

Just no Broad heads or knives.

I have never tried flying through Europe. Qatar Airlines was a consideration too. I looked at South African Airlines and Delta through Atlanta but it's been pricey compared to other options.

I have never tried flying through Europe. Qatar Airlines was a consideration too. I looked at South African Airlines and Delta through Atlanta but it's been pricey compared to other options.

Take a look at Emirates out of Chicago.

South African Airways, JFK to JNB non-stop tends to be cheaper than Delta, ATL-JNB. I flew the SAA flight last year and it was a good flight to JNB.

Thanks for the suggestions. I was doing some research for park and ride options in Chicago and came across some good options. My eyes are more open than in the past and I'm considering a lot more options to get to Africa more cheaply. The hunting is so fantastic there.

I liked KLM from Calgary to Johannesburg enough that I am using them again. Nice planes, pleasant staff, decent food, short flight duration (22hours With 2.5hour layover in Amsterdam).

Permit for rifle is free, done over the internet, pretty easy.

I flew KLM through Amsterdam last year with my rifle, no issues. I didn't go all the way to Johannesburg but to Arusha instead. Jennifer @Travel Express helped out with the transit permit.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dyan65373

Latest profile posts

sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.
Vonfergus wrote on JamesJ's profile.
I am interested in the Double
Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.