Any .350 Rem Mag Fans?

hoytcanon

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hello AH Folk...

I have been carrying .350 Rem Mag's while guiding and hunting for four decades plus... I have always found that it really punches up with performance on game. It has also done a pretty decent job of stopping bears on a few occasions. I have had several over the years, a Rem 673 and several Ruger Mark II's... my current is a Ruger M77 Mark II Stainless in a laminate stock, that I load 250 Partitions over W748 for.
Are there any other fans out there? What are you shooting and what are your preferred loads.

20220610_011659.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I have Model 600 that is surprisingly accurate with 250 Noslers.
Its favorite load is 54.5 gn of 8208. 58 gn of Varget is also excellent, followed by 54.5 gn 4166 and 53 gn of Benchmark. The Benchmark load produces excessive pressure at temperatures over 80F while the others have been just fine at over 90F.

In the 9.3x62 I have found N140 to give results identical to Varget and speculate that it would work well in the .350. But as long as my supply of 8208 holds out I see no need to experiment.

Nice bear.

Great bear. Congrats.
The .350 was the original short magnum, and although the 660/673 platforms that Remington used for it did not win favor with most, I used a 673 Guide Gun worldwide. It was hard to find a better gun for a Musk Ox sled in the Arctic. I took it iron sighted to Cameroon for Bongo and it never got caught up in the brush and was easy to carry when on hands and knee in the densest part of the forest. I am contemplating taking it to Kamchatka for big bear this Spring.

I replaced the bottom metal with Sunninghill. I had Hill Country Rifles treat the metal. The laminate stock never took a scratch. It was almost impervious to the elements. I may just get a Remington Classic in .350 just to have one.

.350 Rem Mag
Great bear. Congrats.
The .350 was the original short magnum, and although the 660/673 platforms that Remington used for it did not win favor with most, I used a 673 Guide Gun worldwide. It was hard to find a better gun for a Musk Ox sled in the Arctic. I took it iron sighted to Cameroon for Bongo and it never got caught up in the brush and was easy to carry when on hands and knee in the densest part of the forest. I am contemplating taking it to Kamchatka for big bear this Spring.

I replaced the bottom metal with Sunninghill. I had Hill Country Rifles treat the metal. The laminate stock never took a scratch. It was almost impervious to the elements. I may just get a Remington Classic in .350 just to have one.

I briefly had a Rem Classic, but preferred the Ruger Mark II... Laminate is a good way to go for a working rifle if you just can't abide Synthetic, very tough. The bottom rifle is my factory .350 Rem Mag, the top rifle was a .350 Rem Mag that I rebarrelled to 6.5 Rem Mag.

Attachments

• 20220102_091628.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 40
Very nice. Pragmatic.

Hello AH Folk...

I have been carrying .350 Rem Mag's while guiding and hunting for four decades plus... I have always found that it really punches up with performance on game. It has also done a pretty decent job of stopping bears on a few occasions. I have had several over the years, a Rem 673 and several Ruger Mark II's... my current is a Ruger M77 Mark II Stainless in a laminate stock, that I load 250 Partitions over W748 for.
Are there any other fans out there? What are you shooting and what are your preferred loads.

View attachment 586572
Yes i have the same rifle but in a plastic stock, one of my hunting friends has one in a Ruger laminated stock, they do a great job on pigs i bought a lot of brass & Remington 200 grn bullets at the time i got
the rifle, also shoot 225 grn Speers i have never brought any factory ammo

I like the 350rm, used one for a number of years my dad built years ago on a Remington 700Ti action, was more power then I ever needed for deer so loaded it down to 358win power. Almost bought a Remington 673 in 350 last year but couldn't get the money at the time, shop had all 4 made in the box for $800 each, with I had the money think they only made them a year or so. They were in 308, 6.5rm 350rm and 7saum.

Not sure if I'd build one today even if I had a short magnum action, probably be one of the 7mm short mags or just a 358win on a standard bolt.

I like the 350rm, used one for a number of years my dad built years ago on a Remington 700Ti action, was more power then I ever needed for deer so loaded it down to 358win power. Almost bought a Remington 673 in 350 last year but couldn't get the money at the time, shop had all 4 made in the box for $800 each, with I had the money think they only made them a year or so. They were in 308, 6.5rm 350rm and 7saum.

Not sure if I'd build one today even if I had a short magnum action, probably be one of the 7mm short mags or just a 358win on a standard bolt.

.358 Win is a great little cartridge also... I have to two, a Ruger M77-RLS Mark II Carbine and a Ruger M77 Mark II Stainless Frontier Carbine. The Frontier is my favorite carry rifle... both of these are among my most accurate rifles out to 250 yards, and are scoped with Leupold VX-3 2.5-8x36 B&C scopes.

20210608_122741.jpg

.358 Win is a great little cartridge also... I have to two, a Ruger M77-RLS Mark II Carbine and a Ruger M77 Mark II Stainless Frontier Carbine. The Frontier is my favorite carry rifle... both of these are among my most accurate rifles out to 250 yards, and are scoped with Leupold VX-3 2.5-8x36 B&C scopes.

View attachment 587017
@hoytcanon
You are a true 35 tragic like myself.
I tried convincing @rdog to donate his 350 to a good cause , me but he wouldn't come to the party .
Bob

@hoytcanon
You are a true 35 tragic like myself.
I tried convincing @rdog to donate his 350 to a good cause , me but he wouldn't come to the party .
Bob

Yeah, you could say I have a fondness for the .35's... the reason is I started guiding for bears at 17 and witnessed the unreasonable smack down the .35's hand out... almost like they are loaded with pixie dust or "unicorn horn powder!"
20201013_092246.jpg

Yeah, you could say I have a fondness for the .35's... the reason is I started guiding for bears at 17 and witnessed the unreasonable smack down the .35's hand out... almost like they are loaded with pixie dust or "unicorn horn powder!"View attachment 587111
@hoytcanon
It was the brainchild of Mr Howe for God himself the great Col Townsend Whelen. Back then they loaded it properly then Remington strangled it then the intelagensia got hold of new powders and took it back to where it belongs.
A tower of power in a standard case. When loaded properly you can get 4,000- 4,300fpe if energy out of it.
No flies on that performance.
Your big 35-375 Ruger is awesome but finding projectile that will hold together may be an issue.
TBC and swift would be ideal in it.
Bob

@hoytcanon
It was the brainchild of Mr Howe for God himself the great Col Townsend Whelen. Back then they loaded it properly then Remington strangled it then the intelagensia got hold of new powders and took it back to where it belongs.
A tower of power in a standard case. When loaded properly you can get 4,000- 4,300fpe if energy out of it.
No flies on that performance.
Your big 35-375 Ruger is awesome but finding projectile that will hold together may be an issue.
TBC and swift would be ideal in it.
Bob

So far the 225 Accubond has been blowing through everything... to talk about expansion I would need a fired bullet, that would require a month and a metal detector... but from the exit wounds, expansion seems to have been excellent and there is no shrapnel in the carcasses, so that should indicate a properly functioning combination.

So far the 225 Accubond has been blowing through everything... to talk about expansion I would need a fired bullet, that would require a month and a metal detector... but from the exit wounds, expansion seems to have been excellent and there is no shrapnel in the carcasses, so that should indicate a properly functioning combination.
@hoytcanon
In Namibia I found both the accubonds and the Woodleigh 225s performance outstanding. Only recovered 1 of each.
The one that did surprise me was the old 250gn Hornady round nose. Launched at 2,700fps it hit a big oryx bull at 120yds and put a golf ball size hole out the other side of his chest. Not bad for an old cup and core. When it hit the PH commented that he saw the whole body ripple at the impact. Based on that the 250gn Woodleigh being bonded should be even better.
I have some 225gn Woodleigh rnsp loaded to 2,900fps to try in some pigs. I don't think there will be much tracking involved.
Bob

That is a beautiful Carbine.
Thank you, it's a Remington Model 7 with a 20" barrel. I've since removed that 1-4 Leupold and added a 2-7 Leupold. The weight savings of the 1-4 didn't out weigh the benefit of more optical zoom. In very pleased with it and it's been more comfortable to shoot than I'd have figured. It really makes me want a light handy 358 WSM.

@CastShooter
What's your cast load. There's a company in the US that does a lovely 220gn hollow point cast gas check but you can't get them in Australia.
Bob
@Bob Nelson 35Whelen, I've got a few loads I shoot depending on the bullet and targeted velocity. One of my favorites is the 200 gr RCBS (orange one) and 20 gr of 2400. It isn't quick but it's bloody accurate. Almost one hole accurate. The SAECO 235 is a 230 gr bullet on top of 49 gr of IMR 4064. That nets me a smidge under 2100 fps and is my go to cast load for this rifle.

Thank you, it's a Remington Model 7 with a 20" barrel. I've since removed that 1-4 Leupold and added a 2-7 Leupold. The weight savings of the 1-4 didn't out weigh the benefit of more optical zoom. In very pleased with it and it's been more comfortable to shoot than I'd have figured. It really makes me want a light handy 358 WSM.

I had a M7-KS in .350 for a short while... I currently have a Sambar, but a hunting buddy has been coveting that rifle for awhile and now that I have the .358-375 Ruger, finally I told him he could take the Sambar home with him... he is a happy boy, and already know who gets the first bullet... this guy;
Screenshot_20230531_180028_Gallery.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Declan4098

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you