Animals That Surprised You

For me it was Eland. My first encounter was a bachelor group of 4 that were too young but at 18 yds. Their power and grace and size including the "clicking" of the knees is incredible. Then the thunder of hooves when they finally winded us.

When you are in bow blind you see the animal hierarchy like Big waterbuck chases out kudu, zebra bite and kick, sable trumps most and Cape Buffalo trumps everything else we saw in cleaning out a blind. A jackel came to a waterhole that was full of wildebeest and eland and hogs and they took off faster than any clear out, so I put an arrow through him. I was most taken how fun stalking impala were if you like whitetail hunting, you will love these guys. Kudu are graceful and beautiful but giraffe were also until they try to drink. I agree with someone above on how awesome the color of the Blue Wildebeest hide is so keep an open mind first three animals I took were not even considered until I saw them like the nhayla.

red lechwe there fur is beautiful glowing gold shining in sun and it has a wierd sof poffy feeling to it def a beautiful animal.

Eland! First one I saw looked like a tank at 117 yds front Quarting shot with 375 H&H and a complete miss.... Twice lol. Just overwhelming their size and ability to move so graceful. Had the opportunity in Namibia on first safari and I passed so next trip I had to have one . May hunt one with a bow next trip.

How hard it is to get a giant bushpig or warthog? Most of the animals I gotten very good representatives but not the bushpig or warthog....I'm cursed.

Leopard! After a walk and stalk that lasted approximately 3 and half hours, I decided to lay up next to a watering hole in a nice dense bush to wait for the PH to come pick me up as agreed. I still needed the kudu bull that was on the wish list, so made sure to keep perfectly still. Daylight was rapidly fading, and out of the corner of my eye saw movement. Now you know not to move your head....just focus...... and this leopard came into my field of view! I never ever had the opportunity to witness this kind of stealth first hand! Absolutely no sound....and this whilst the cat came from behind me, passed me at about 5 metres, and proceeded to the watering hole! Now fear, yes fear kicked in! I was alone and very far from any kind of help should things go wrong. It was terrible knowing you may not take it because of permit issues, but at the same time an absolute privilege to observe the cat drink and move away. I can honestly say that after the cat disappeared in the gloom, I really wanted to see the headlights of the 'bakkie' that was coming to get me......it was as if the cat was now stalking me and I can not see anything. This happened during our annual hunting week this July past. Will forever cherish this experience....

Elephant for the reasons stated by brickburn and Wildebees because I had underestimated the sheen on their coats because all i had seen were old sun bleached mounts before I saw one in person.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KZNWilliem

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.
sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.