Americase Group Buy for 3-Gun rolling safari cases (order form here)

33 pounds plus 3 rifles. Very close to 50 or over. Or is that a known with this case. You will be over weight and over size. Any issues with the extra fees ?
It will depend on a bunch of factors. If you are flying one of the higher levels, there may be different allowances. The destination and possibly your status with the airline may affect your allowance. Flying to say Lewiston, ID coach you may have a 50# max, a higher level gets you 70#.

If you fly on multiple airlines during the trip, the allowances may change on the SAME trip. Flying to Prague last month, all was fine with Delta going. Returning on same trip, booked through Delta, KLM charged me with an extra fee. I had called Delta to verify all was good prior to leaving and was given the wrong info. Complaints did nothing to remove the extra charge. The response was basically, it was KLM’s flight and they can do what they want.

The level of your flight seating on your trip may change if you switch airlines, fly Delta Comfort + and when you hit a KLM flight, you become a European economy and have to abide by their regulations and different allowances.

Going back to the original question, I think you may be close to the max weight, without extra charges, with three guns and scopes no matter how you fly. I would call the airline/airlines before going to be sure.

Last edited:
Thank you very much for the detailed information.

without that case, I would use two separate cases, and they would be under the weight and size. We are allowed 2 checked bags each, and we normally only use one check bag each.

33 pounds plus 3 rifles. Very close to 50 or over. Or is that a known with this case. You will be over weight and over size. Any issues with the extra fees ?
The specs were in the original post and it explains all of this. It's sort of irrelevant though, they won't make any more and the pre-order window has closed. I don't think there are any spares available on this forum, only 3-4 people ordered more than one and I know that a couple of those were sold off to help friends that missed the cutoff.

I realize this is a bit old but hoping to get some info about the Americase. I actually got one at a recent auction but don't have it yet. I am traveling to RSA in May and planning to take two rifles. The only drawback is that I first heard these were 31 lbs and just saw that one of the new ones weighed at 33.7 Lbs. That really does worry me a bit now because adding my two rifles I will be at 51 Lbs. that's with removing one of the scopes that is a quick release. The other scope is a picatinny mount and can be removed and that is what I will likely do. I will obviously shoot the rifle before hunting to check zero and can make the little adjustment that will likely be needed. Truly just didn't want to have to take off the scope. I also have a Pelican 1750 that I cut custom foam for and that will make the weight but not as durable I don't think. And I have a Double SKB case too.

So here are some questions:
Do they all weigh around 33.7 Lbs or do they vary a bit?
Is there any way to save weight by altering the interior at all?

I don't regret getting the Americase but if taking both scopes off is necessary then it defeats my purpose a bit. I can do that with my Pelican and don't have much risk in harming a gun without a scope. In the end I will pack everything in the case and get it properly weighed and do what I need to do. I was just hoping to hear that these cases are so much better that they are simply just worth using whether by paying for overweight baggage or removing the scopes to make weight.

Well I didn't realize this thread was in the classified section. Sorry to have this in the wrong place.

I have an old Americase 3-gun case, before they came with wheels. I haven’t used it in years because of the weight, but also because it was standing on end once at the airport in Gaberone, with my 416, 338 and 12 gauge shotguns inside. Somebody came by and knocked the case over, hard.

The scope on my 338 was damaged and would not hold zero. I ended up having to borrow a light rifle and used my 416 for nearly all game I shot on a 24-day safari. That Americase did not protect my rifle nearly as well as I expected. These days, I use a Tuffpak and have had no issues or problems with any of my guns.

I got a double rifle and a scoped CZ .416 into a Pelican V770 Vault Single Rifle Case on my last trip to Africa.

I was very impressed with it.

These cases are made to hold rifles VERY tightly, so remove the bolts from bolt-actions, or they will punch through the foam.

I have a big aluminum case, but it always puts me over weight limits, so I've never flown with it.

I recently sold 3. Rifles if they travel by road they will go in my old “worthless 3rifle Americase”.

Here’s The new Americase 8 gun case. Yeah it’s too heavy. But it carries 8 guns. (y)

IMG_3596.jpeg

I’ve found that the best way to not be overweight with the new 8 gun case is not carry any rifles in it. Just clothes.

I’ve written about these cases countless times on this forum and explained the protocols and weight restrictions before.

Two guns plus sticks = <50lbs (coach)
Three guns = <70lbs (biz/first)

As I have said a hundred times or more, this plot works if you have quick detach optics. I wouldn’t own a gun that lacks QD optics because I understand what baggage handlers do and I understand what can happen to your optics when on a gun in transport. My optics are always in my carry on being treated like a faberge egg when I travel.

If you don’t understand/believe/heed the sentiment of using Quick Detach optics, you’re going to be overweight in an Americase. You’re also going to have a ruined hunt someday, because guns can tolerate being thrown 5’ in a case, but optics can’t. I’ve seen African baggage throwing gun cases from the plane onto the tarmac with my own eyes. The optics are going to die.

I have one on this order. Haven't used it to travel with but at 31.2# it means Business or First class
with 3 guns>. My Heym 470NE, 375 and custom 300WM (5.29#) plus 2 scopes is 68#
Pelican 1615 with custom foam interior will take the Heym and a Dakota traveler in 458 Lott with a 375 barrel and 2 scopes at 49.3#
Two very different setups but very good for my uses!
Third setup is a 4gun case that is kevlar with great foam interior will hold the Heym. a 7.9# 300 WM with scope and a 9# 375 scoped at 48.5#

Heck, even the plastic 2 guns are too heavy.

The case allows for over 18lbs of rifles. (and the airlines typically give some leeway because its a conversion from KG to LBS for the international overweight rule anyway)

Double rifle without scope = 9.5 lbs
Magazine rifle without a scope = 7.5lbs
Sticks = 1.5lbs

Never had an issue on half a dozen coach class safaris. Obviously on my three gun safaris I get 70lbs in biz class, so that's no issue even with three guns.

The Americases are first class wish they were still building all their products!

My guns are both bolt guns. One with quick detach Alaskan Arms rings on a Ruger and the other is a picatinny with crossbolts. The picatinny is not a true quick release but can easily be removed and torqued back to the same spec. Will be close enough to dial back in within a few rounds I'm sure, and as I said I will certainly shoot it before I hunt any time I travel.

I realize this is a bit old but hoping to get some info about the Americase. I actually got one at a recent auction but don't have it yet. I am traveling to RSA in May and planning to take two rifles. The only drawback is that I first heard these were 31 lbs and just saw that one of the new ones weighed at 33.7 Lbs. That really does worry me a bit now because adding my two rifles I will be at 51 Lbs. that's with removing one of the scopes that is a quick release. The other scope is a picatinny mount and can be removed and that is what I will likely do. I will obviously shoot the rifle before hunting to check zero and can make the little adjustment that will likely be needed. Truly just didn't want to have to take off the scope. I also have a Pelican 1750 that I cut custom foam for and that will make the weight but not as durable I don't think. And I have a Double SKB case too.

So here are some questions:
Do they all weigh around 33.7 Lbs or do they vary a bit?
Is there any way to save weight by altering the interior at all?

I don't regret getting the Americase but if taking both scopes off is necessary then it defeats my purpose a bit. I can do that with my Pelican and don't have much risk in harming a gun without a scope. In the end I will pack everything in the case and get it properly weighed and do what I need to do. I was just hoping to hear that these cases are so much better that they are simply just worth using whether by paying for overweight baggage or removing the scopes to make weight.
Letshunt: is the only concern being charge extra for “over weight”? If so, considering All the costs involved in a Safari - does an extra $100+ matter? Or is there a risk the rifle case could be “rejected” by an airline?

I agree that the cost isn't much but I believe with United it is $200 each way. I was just hoping the case would be just a bit lighter but I think I will likely use it still and take both scopes off. I'm sure I will have to adjust a bit when I get there but would likely have to anyways since I'll be about 3000 ft higher there than I am at home. Heck if I don't care for the Americase I am sure I will be able to sell it quite easily to a member here.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Crazy007

Latest profile posts

Saddlemaker wrote on Never Been's profile.
Thanks for getting back to me, I'll pass, Great luck in sell it . I don't think you'll have it long
FDP wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Good morning. I'll take all of them actually. Whats the next step? Thanks, Derek
Have a look af our latest post on the biggest roan i ever guided on!

I realize how hard the bug has bit. I’m on the cusp of safari #2 and I’m looking to plan #3 with my 11 year old a year from now while looking at my work schedule for overtime and computing the math of how many shifts are needed….
Safari Dave wrote on Kevin Peacocke's profile.
I'd like to get some too.

My wife (a biologist, like me) had to have a melanoma removed from her arm last fall.