Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SA wingshooters, GOSA,
Hunted
RSA, Namibia, Botswana
Hey all,

I'm sure this has been debated to death, but I can't find anything on the forum… I would like your opinions on shot ties that make good all-rounders.

To keep this simple, I am not interested in anything that doesn't have 2 barrels. I know that O/U are the conventional choice, but I am not a good sxs. I really enjoy shooting clays in general and to be honest I'm quite competitive. I have been shooting with a zoli as of late, but I find her a little light (I'm 6' 4" and weigh 100kg). Recoil really isn't an issue, I'm not kick-shy by any means. I'm really just looking for a shottie I can grow to know and understand like a best friend :p Whether it be trap, guineas or ducks.

As stated, I am interested in functionality; engravings don't make a shotgun shoot any better. I can appreciate beauty, but first it comes down to ability. I don't know what other detail I should be providing? So please ask if I'm being too vague.

Thanks, as per usual :)

Hi Alexandro. I am not clear on if you are interested in a sxs or not. There is thread "opinion on sxs shotgun brands" that goes into a lot of detail. If you are interested in a vintage sxs, Red Leg is probably our biggest promoter of that category of shotgun, since he owns, has owned and shoots many different ones. There is an aura that goes along with owning the vintage guns along with so much to learn about the English guns in particular. Don't know who the resident O/U expert is on the forum, but he will probably show up if that's what your questions are about. I own a lower end Beretta that I use on dove hunts, but I am not your expert on the subject. Good luck and have fun with the education!

Make sure the gun fits you. It may be creating the kick (felt recoil) you are experiencing.
You are not a little guy and most shotguns off the rack do not fit folks of larger stature.

You are right, engraving does not increase accuracy. They are just pretty.

Go to your local dealer and pick up and mount every gun they have in stock of the variety you might like. That will give you an idea of what might come close to fitting.

Go to a target range and you may be able to shoot other folks guns and see how they feel.

The practical approach will get you closer to the result you want than hearing about brand preference.

Use what works for you in your budget range.

I use and own a variety of Beretta shotguns.
A semi auto for migratory bird hunting (geese ducks)
Everything else an over and under.
Never have been able to handle a SXS properly. I have also only found on that fit me well.

Marius Goosen loaned me a Beretta clone and I shot it well while in RSA. The conformation of the shotgun was close enough that accuracy was not an issue.
John W provided a loaner to me and was quite surprised at my accuracy on partridge and grouse.
In both cases having a properly fitted shotgun (mine) would have improved accuracy and caused less recoil damage to me.

If I were serious about doing an extended bird hunt I would bring the semi auto for high volume and the O/U for walking up.

Have fun with your search.

My Remington 12 gauge Wingmaster, is honestly the best fitting shotgun I own. It fits like a glove! Shoots accurate, quick to the shoulder, a joy to own and bag birds with in the field.

I'm not sure where you are from, but I'm guessing it's not from the U.S., as "all arounders" here have somewhat of a different meaning than other countries, as here we have to use them for upland bird hunting, waterfowl hunting with nontoxic (which can be hard on barrels) shot, and in some instances on deer and other big game.
I have to agree with Enysse that a good Remington 870 is hard to beat.....I have one in 12 gauge that I use for waterfowl and (sometimes) deer hunting. 870s rarely break down, and when they do, the parts are usually readily available and the fix is easy. I also have a Mossberg 500 in 12 gauge that is similar (reliable, easy to fix).....was the first shotgun I ever owned (bought it at 14 with my own money) and I have kept it all these years and still use it!
I have a Remington 110o in 12 gauge that I have several barrels for, including a rifled slug barrel, 26" with improved cylinder choke, and 28" with a modified choke. Used it to take my first wild turkey, took a doe with it on my last deer hunt a couple of seasons ago.
As for doubles, the only O/U I ever owned was a Remington SPR310 in 12 gauge; nice gun....sold it to a friend and he really enjoys shooting it. My other double is a Stoeger Uplander in 16 gauge; not as versatile as some of the others, but I've taken a truckload of small & upland game with it, as well as a few ducks. I don't believe in paying an arm and leg for a firearm with a pretty finish......in my case, it's going to get scratched, dinged, dented, etc, in the bottom of my duck boat, deer blind, or while in the thorny thickets of my grouse coverts.
As was previously stated, fit is probably more important that anything else.

I work with shotgun pretty much everyday, gun fit is vital any gun you buy that doesn't fit is a waste of money IMHO.

I play with Purdeys on a regular basis and even they have now added a nice boss style over under (often now call a perrazi style action).

Personnaly I think these actioned guns are out standing and offer excellent handling and bulid at sensible money. The Zoli game guns look a good buy here for a clay and game gun.

If reliability is the key factor Beretta 68 series guns, are the standard my 1989 1991 682s have fired 100,000s of cartridges each and with simple mantance new strikers etc are still going strong and have never let me down.

But I go back to my first point if any of them don't fit you won't shoot them well and it'll unnessarliy increase felt recoil.

I have a Benelli Super Black Eagle I got back in the 90's. It's an auto that uses recoil to cycle the action versus gas operated. This was an advantage when hunting geese in sandy loam wheat field. I also used this gun for trap and skeet shooting. It has never let me down and feels like an extension of my arms.

Moved to Arizona in 2001 and stopped hunting waterfowl and moved onto dove and quail. But for whatever reason this fell by the wayside for many years. Went quail hunting last year for the first time in many, first flush of the fast little birds I slammed one. Picking up that shotgun was just like I had never out it down.

That is one gun I will never sell.

Hey all,

Thanks for the brilliant replies! So, I don't want to waste anyone's time, but I thought I would just provide an update: My father decided to get me an old brno O/U 12 gauge as a gift. From what I can gather, it was a good deal. So my hunt has stopped.
Shooting with a shottie from him is worth more to me than any advantage I may have from getting my hands on something of "better" quality. When finance and time permits (give it 10 years) I'll look at investing in an explora. Until then, I will be using this girl. I don't know how many of you are close to your fathers, but my family is my everything and I really couldn't be happier with how this all worked out.

As always, thank you all for your advice and to the gentleman who asked me to be a little more clear: I do apologise for the ambiguity and I thank you for taking the time to ask in order to help.

Kind regards,
Alex

My Remington 12 gauge Wingmaster, is honestly the best fitting shotgun I own. It fits like a glove! Shoots accurate, quick to the shoulder, a joy to own and bag birds with in the field.
This is the same with my Piper Bayard.
Witold

Alex, would love to see a pic of the o/u brno, not very common in SA, the s/s you see plenty.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WinfredFin

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!