Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
OFAH, DSC
Hunted
South Africa, Canada, USA
I must say that it is a bit refreshing to see that a First Nations group is not hunting moose in an area where the population is at risk. The Manitoba provincial government has tried that in the West-Central part of that province. No regulated moose hunting permitted in that area, but the local First Nations are still taking moose there. But the most concerning part for myself as a Saskatchewan resident is that the Manitoba F.N. are pouring over the border into Eastern Sask in huge numbers going after our moose and elk. They start in mid to late summer hunting at night on private farmland and drive through standing crops, destroying a lot of it. Then they take a break while we regulated hunters have our chance, then they're back again to hunt moose and elk all winter when the animals are more vulnerable and the females are heavily pregnant. Pretty hard to manage a wildlife population like that.

I don’t believe that the group mentioned in this story is concerned for the wildlife. They just don’t want competition for the resource. The same group is over harvesting the moose resource unabated on the Ontario side of the border. This has resulted in next to zero opportunities for non indigenous peoples to hunt moose in central Ontario.

I don’t believe that the group mentioned in this story is concerned for the wildlife. They just don’t want competition for the resource. The same group is over harvesting the moose resource unabated on the Ontario side of the border. This has resulted in next to zero opportunities for non indigenous peoples to hunt moose in central Ontario.
I guess I misread. Very disappointing, but not surprising.

Part of the Canadian conversation with first nations has to be a common approach to natural resources. We have such a stupid dialogue right now that nothing constructive is being done. I do understand, however, that individual bands pay more attention to this issue than some others. I hope that professional approach catches on. Not hopeful in my ifetime.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GennieHowe

Latest profile posts

sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.
Vonfergus wrote on JamesJ's profile.
I am interested in the Double
Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.