AHR in .550 Magnum

I seen to remember there being at least 2 if not 3 different lengths being talked about. I could just be confused and adding in the 550-505.

Case length 3.0"
20230917_180542.jpg
20230917_180704.jpg

Krish, don’t need the big bolt face with the 550 just a 590. The cz will work fine there. May need the other two if you want to go 550-505. Lots of bolt thrust there.

It was made in shortened 460 wby brass blown out calld express, full length 460wby brass blown out, full length 505 gibbs brass blown out. Have plenty of 505 blown out .550 head stamped brass aswell. Plenty of actions aswell. That is why I am wavering. I am not in a hurry. Probably build it on GMA ACTION WITH 505 GIBBS FOR THE CASING.
Krish

That’s one great thing about the p14, it’s so big and strong. Needs work to look good though.

More over .550 magnum generally built on twist rate of 20 and barrels length of 26". I may make some changes like 1 in 18 or 16 twist with 24" or 25" barrel.
Krish

I think you are right on that. If there is no big difference in pressure I’d go 1 in 16. No real reason, if I have a choice I always go faster twist.

I think you are right on that. If there is no big difference in pressure I’d go 1 in 16. No real reason, if I have a choice I always go faster twist.
505 gibbs case is so large it takes 178 gr of water. So it will be at Lowe pressure at 2300ft/sec. Reson to go for faster twist is to shoot heavier bullets than 700gr. Like 800grs.
Krish

I agree on all your points. For that reason and going up to 800 grains the gibbs case works better. Who’s barrel would you use and 24 inches will work fine.

I seen to remember there being at least 2 if not 3 different lengths being talked about. I could just be confused and adding in the 550-505.
Neal also has a .550 Express. It is shorter than the Magnum. Can’t recall if it is 2.5” or 2.75”. As Krish stated, and in my picture above, OAL of the Magnum is 3.00.

Edit. Just checked. Express is 2.65” case.

Last edited:
Interesting reading I have been thinking of the 550 magnum for a while now.
Contacted Jason van Aarde a ph who has been using one for more than a decade in the field.

So I'm actually looking and keeping an ear on the ground to find a CZ550 or Bruno Action.
Jason said his Bruno still shows 375H&H on the mag plate and that almost no work had to be done on the feeding with the big straight wall case.

So my idea is still only an idea untill I can find a affodable action or old worn out CZ550 magnum or Bruno along the way.

I want to load it with 650gr Mono Solids have a 23" barrel and do a steady 2200fps
In that way I will be able to handel 20 shots at our BASA shoots for the day and still create 7000ft/lbs
I am also thinking of filling the case with slower powder which should theoratically lower recoil.
Gun will weigh in at around 11.5lbs.

It should be good hunting as well 650gr at 2200fps will be good for TREX I pressume.

If this project takes 5 years or more so be it but it should be fun when complete.

Contacted Jason van Aarde a ph who has been using one for more than a decade in the field.

So I'm actually looking and keeping an ear on the ground to find a CZ550 or Bruno Action.
Jason said his Bruno still shows 375H&H on the mag plate and that almost no work had to be done on the feeding with the big straight wall case.

So my idea is still only an idea untill I can find a affodable action or old worn out CZ550 magnum or Bruno along the way.

I want to load it with 650gr Mono Solids have a 23" barrel and do a steady 2200fps
In that way I will be able to handel 20 shots at our BASA shoots for the day and still create 7000ft/lbs
I am also thinking of filling the case with slower powder which should theoratically lower recoil.

It should be good hunting as well 650gr at 2200fps will be good for TREX I pressume.

If this project takes 5 years or more so be it but it should be fun when complete.
Getting there will be half the fun...

Sounds like you have a plan. I believe it will save you some pain, blues, agony and money if you start off with a .416 Rigby over the .375. Good luck getting it pulled together!

Gentlemen,
Saw this thread and thought good time to introduce myself. My name is Steve and I am the design engineer of the integral barrels for Tim at Matrix Gunsmithing.
Tried to post photos and a longer message but I keep getting error message about security or content.
If this post will try again with photos, etc.
Steve

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DinaJervoi

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.
sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.