AHR Custom DGR In .458 Lott With S&B Exos

RR 314

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Just back from another trek to Africa. Absolutely beautiful full custom Dangerous Game Rifle (DGR) from American Hunting Rifles. This is one of Wayne’s full customs. Deadly on all from impala to 46” buffalo. In my biased opinion, this rifle has the prettiest wood I have ever seen on one of Wayne’s rifles. 14” LOP and 21 1/4” barrel. Feed and function is excellent. I would asses metal at as close to 100%. Wood is excellent with very minor flaws.

Beautifully balanced rifle with 1-8 Schmidt & Bender Exos FD7 illuminated reticle. Scope is flawless. Mounted via Alaska Arms QD rings.

Reason for sale is just got back from Africa and a man (or stout woman) should not be as concerned about screwing up a stock on a stalk as I was. :)

I understand having this rifle built today would approach $10k-not including the scope and extras. Comes with Pelican 1750 cut for this rifle.

I am in Austin, Texas and would really prefer to sell in Texas to avoid shipping. However, open to discussion. Have ample ammo and ammo case that can be discussed as well. I can also swap scope out for as new Swarovski Z6 EE 1-6.

A25C7F94-C122-480A-9389-136209C1D4A3.png
0CFBBBEB-86C4-46D4-91D6-B8510951AE5E.jpeg
59B6B958-464E-45B5-B0C7-26F2F89F5869.jpeg
CDDE81D5-24EE-40FF-89C9-751235FF3160.jpeg
79D9A5F3-601D-49B2-9BFA-D5C74F51E404.jpeg
CF3EF2D8-362D-40AF-8312-800FBF3CACF5.jpeg
10081398-183E-4C33-84B0-9E211B950934.jpeg
66A5CEF2-4004-41E4-80A2-5ABE2A08743D.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Asking price?

Nice looking rifle

“Assess metal”. . Pecking away on phone and didn’t proof. Also meant to say there is a tiny “crack” for lack of a better word in the “forend” tip that is barely visible. It is stable and has been there for years. Doesn’t show with my poor camera skills.

No worries at all!

Errors/omissions abound. This is a CZ as action. Nice thing about it is there is no CZ banner/branding on the action—very clean. I’m sure I missed other obvious needed details as well.

Did you have Wayne build this?

Where did that wood come from ???? Wow....

Sweet Gun "T", I think I've seen it in action! ;-)

In my opinion the S&B Exos is the best dangerous game scope out there. 1-8 with 10 brightness settings. Has a true CC setting without magnification as well. I have one on three separate rifles and love them! If preferred, I can swap out a Z6 EE 1-6 and knock off $500. I will gladly keep the Exos for the next build as they are $3300 or so and rarely seen on the used market.

I own this rifle’s twin, someone will be very happy with it. I love mine.

Really good information about the action, I had always wondered why mine had no CZ markings.

Good luck with the sale.
Yes sir. Obviously nothing wrong with the CZ banner, but look soooo much cleaner without.

2 out of 3 of mine have the CZ banner scrubbed off, the Lott says Safari Classics

Wow! Great rifle and scope. CZ550 has been discontinued and Wayne is a trusted CZ wizard. Surprised this has lasted through the weekend.

Nice rifle! My vote is you should keep it. just remember that doing repair work on small scratches is fairly simple and sandpaper and proper oil finish is cheap.
I have thought about it, but as sacrilegious as it sounds, I think I will hunt exclusively with synthetic stocked rifles. I have a couple beautiful rifles built by Mark Bansner and have never worried about scratching them or dinging metal finish. Deep bluing is unbelievable on this rifle. Thought about getting a synthetic stock for this rifle, but we will just part ways as friends.

I certainly understand your thought process. I marvel at the beauty of some of the wood rifles I see on this site, but for me, just taking such a gun in and out of the safe gives me anxiety, so I will stick to the synthetic stocks as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MajorBirds

Latest profile posts

USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.
SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.