Age of first African hunting trip

First 59 (2013) accompanied by wife as observer, Namibia PG

Second 64 (2018) accompanied by youngest son(hunting PG) ( Makuya RSA (KNP)) DG& PG.

Third 65 (2019) accompanied by wife as observer, PG, Eastern Cape. RSA

Be prepared to become a repeat offender

I was 62 years old my first trip to South Africa hunting Cape buffalo, living out a lifelong dream of mine from about age 10,got the bug from watching an old TV program called " American Sportsman" with Curt Gowdy...the best hunting and fishing show ever. But because of Life getting in the way I had to wait till 52 years later.View attachment 590872
I followed a very similar script, good things come to those who can wait, Nice Buff

49 when I brought my 18 yr old to Kimberly SA to hunt with white lions safaris. 7 days then wife and daughter came and met us and we stayed 7 more in Mana pool. Decided on the plane ride we were going back. Spent 10 days with limcroma in 22 then another 14 in vic falls and Cape Town. 14 days in Lepahala then 14 in Namibia with Jaimie Traut in 23. Going back in 25.

I was 60 going on 61, been 2 more times since that first trip now planning my 4th trip for 2025.

Each trip keeps getting longer. First trip was 7 hunting days in the EC. Second trip was 10 hunting days with 2 sightseeing/ shopping days. Third trip was 10 hunting days in Zimbabwe plus 10 hunting days and 2 sightseeing/shopping days in the EC. This next trip will be for 30(?) hunting days plus 4 designated sightseeing/shopping days with 2 different outfitters, divided amongst 4 different outfitters in different areas of RSA.

I was 50, and it was my gift for reading 50 years of age. My second trip I was 60, and now I’m planning my third trip at the age of 63. . All trips were to South Africa, Limpopo, Eastern Cape and the Kalahari.

First trip at 66, eight more times since then. This year looks iffy but with planets aligned, '25 is a go for #10.

I hunted Zimbabwe when I was 29. I took my girlfriend with me. We got engaged in Harari after the hunt. We got married 2 years later and went on a hunt in South Africa for our honeymoon.

My son got his start at 8. I took him to visit a friend of mine at his ranch in southern Namibia. My son had a great time helping to get meat for the workers.

401472-10151252104004772-1553330046-n.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I’m 49 and plan to head to Africa in 2-3 years.
What age were y’all on your first hunting trip to Africa. Just out of curiosity.
I went to Zimbabwe for PG and buffalo when I was 28. Don't regret a single day or a single dollar of it. Had to wait until I was 67 before I could do it again in 2022. I was planning a third hunt, then had a heart attack. My advise, go when you can, and enjoy every minute.

61 the first time, 72 the second time, I'm 81, and the third time is coming up next month. Looks like about every ten years so far, doesn't it. I'll see if I can squeeze a few more trips in before my "use by" date rolls around. I guess I'd better shorten the intervals a bit.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SoniaMedla

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.
sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.