African archival material and Rhodesian Ridgebacks

ridgebackhistory

Reaction score
Hello to all, I have just joined up. My interest is not so much in hunting, but in the history of the Rhodesian Ridgeback. I used to live in Zimbabwe where I bred, showed and judged this breed. I became fascinated in the history of the breed, and collected a lot of material. In 2000 we left Zimbabwe and came to live in Queensland in Australia (with our family, dogs and all my historical material!). In 2004 I published a book entitled "Rhodesian Ridgeback Pioneers" which told of the early days of the breed - the owners, breeders and the dogs themselves. However, my research has continued since then.

Later this year I am giving a presentation at the Rhodesian Ridgeback World Congress to be held in Canada - I will be talking about some of the Ridgebacks who left Southern Rhodesia in the 1920's and 30's and made their way to England. A small breeding group went to Kenya in the 1920's where a professional hunter named Sydney Waller bred them for some years. Many of his were exported to Britain and other parts of the world.

Waller died in Tsavo in the 1950's and he was probably best remembered for his role in leading HRH Prince Henry Duke of Gloucester's safari in 1928. He also had a lead role in the filming of the early movie "Trader Horn" in 1929

I have been asked to provide as many images of possible for my presentation in Canada. I am focussing quite heavily on the theme "Safari" as it was those English clients who took hunting safaris in the 20's and 30's who took back Ridgebacks with them to their home countries. If anybody can assist me with pictures of the following, I would be most grateful, and of course you would be acknowledged. The timeframe is up to about 1940.

Pictures of Sydney Waller or anecdotes about him

early pictures of Rhodesian Ridgebacks or stories/anecdotes about them

pictures of safari life - from the most sumptuous to the barest minimum

pictures of HRH Prince Henry Duke of Gloucester on safari 1928

any "movie" footage of any of the above

I appreciate any assistance or suggestions received.

With kind regards,

Linda at ridgebackhistory

Here is some info that may help in your search .........
Someone has donated a photo album of pics from the trader Horn exhibition taken by Mr. Waller.
I have been trying to receive info from the accession # below but Covid has shuttered the library.
Below is the contact info and my quoted request. Maybe if you also inquire ?
We can both receive info on this subject !

Regards,
John

Looking for pics by Waller, A. Sydney (Arthur Sydney), 1882-1952, photographer. Album containing photographs of his "Trader Horn" safari, 1929, in Belgian Congo and Uganda
Ph041 is the accession number in the Russell E. Train inventory list of the Joseph F. Cullman 3rd Library of Natural History.

(Ms.) Leslie K. Overstreet
Curator of Natural-History Rare Books
Smithsonian Libraries and Archives
overstreetL@si.edu
(202) 633-1176, -1184

Wow, what an interesting subject. My son had a mix breed Rhodesian Ridgeback, according to his vet, which he found as big pup on the side of the road in north Arkansas. He had the dog for about 14 years, but had to have him put down by a vet in 2014 after contracting some type of cancer. What a great dog he was. Good luck with your conference and your research.

I grew up with Rhodesian Ridgebacks! My parents always had two of them at the same time over the years, now they have three! They are good dogs with a unique history. I coined the term Rhodesian Rip-off for several of them because they do not have the ridge haha!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edwardsrailcarcom00

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg