Africa prices?

Leave the trophies there and take plenty of pictures. Unless it is something truly spectacular, that is my plan.

When I realized that we spent as much on taxidermy as we did the hunt. That made it clear to me.
This is pretty much where i am now.. That being said, I might feel that way if i did not already have a full trophy room. I like to sit in the room surrrounded by all the memories - otherwise known as taxidermy :)

This is pretty much where i am now.. That being said, I might feel that way if i did not already have a full trophy room. I like to sit in the room surrrounded by all the memories - otherwise known as taxidermy :)
My trophy room is pretty full and I’m still trying to figure out where I’m gonna put another bushbuck and a tsessebe from next years hunt that my wife bought us at our state SCI convention next week.

My trophy room is pretty full and I’m still trying to figure out where I’m gonna put another bushbuck and a tsessebe from next years hunt that my wife bought us at our state SCI convention next week.
They do tend to fill up LOL! I’m reserving room for a full mount Marco Polo and Mid-Asian Ibex, have a full mount black bear and a moose euro mount in process right now…. Yikes!!

there are still a few African mounts I would not mind having.. the tiny 10 for example…

Doubleplay, you asked.

So here is my simplified explanation of why prices have gone where they are. And why 5 years from now Safaris will be out of reach for blue collar workers.

Before Covid, money was being printed to prop up the economy and market for political reasons.

Then Covid hits. Within 6 months we all knew who was vulnerable. (Compromised immune systems, morbidly obese Etc)

But for political purposes economies were shuttered for an additional 24 months.

So the politicians cut the first leg of the stool off. SUPPLY

then 24 months late (only when a revolt was possible) the same experts open the economy after the Marxist Jack booted methods forced small businesses to go bankrupt.

They then pump trillions into an economy with no supply, the second leg of the stool. DEMAND

Too much money without supply drives the price up. So many think we should be all caught up. But during the opening of the economy by the EXPERTS businesses were forced to pay double to get people to return to the work force, and off of the government teat.

Add in Marxist liberal ideas of $15 an hour minimum wage for jobs that should be the first rung of employment into the market.

And the result is the 3rd leg cut off of the 3 legged stool.

Companies are still struggling to find employees let alone afford to pay them what they demand.

prices are not coming down to where they were before. Ever

I don’t care what the expert say. Inflation does not matter anymore.

if employers have to pay twice or three times what they did in the past. all products are going to go up and stay up.

So book your Safari now they are never going back to the prices they were. and a few years from now you look back and say man, what a deal we were getting in 2023, 2024

Doubleplay, you asked.

So here is my simplified explanation of why prices have gone where they are. And why 5 years from now Safaris will be out of reach for blue collar workers.

Before Covid, money was being printed to prop up the economy and market for political reasons.

Then Covid hits. Within 6 months we all knew who was vulnerable. (Compromised immune systems, morbidly obese Etc)

But for political purposes economies were shuttered for an additional 24 months.

So the politicians cut the first leg of the stool off. SUPPLY

then 24 months late (only when a revolt was possible) the same experts open the economy after the Marxist Jack booted methods forced small businesses to go bankrupt.

They then pump trillions into an economy with no supply, the second leg of the stool. DEMAND

Too much money without supply drives the price up. So many think we should be all caught up. But during the opening of the economy by the EXPERTS businesses were forced to pay double to get people to return to the work force, and off of the government teat.

Add in Marxist liberal ideas of $15 an hour minimum wage for jobs that should be the first rung of employment into the market.

And the result is the 3rd leg cut off of the 3 legged stool.

Companies are still struggling to find employees let alone afford to pay them what they demand.

prices are not coming down to where they were before. Ever

I don’t care what the expert say. Inflation does not matter anymore.

if employers have to pay twice or three times what they did in the past. all products are going to go up and stay up.

So book your Safari now they are never going back to the prices they were. and a few years from now you look back and say man, what a deal we were getting in 2023, 2024
Hi Alt,

I would have to disagree with you at least the way that we run our company. To date the only price increase that we have passed on to our clients has been the cost of quota.

Look at the web sites of some Safari companies. Congratulations to their fine work, but do you want to stay in a 5 star hotel and complain about the cost of your hunt. Or sleep and hunt like Theodore Roosevelt did, (I admit he had a fairly large staff). The point is do you want to pay for accommodations and taxidermy or a hunt and memories.

I hope that 5 or 15 years from now Liesl, my wife can provide blue collar, military & the financiall secure with affordable quality hunting.

Lon

Jamy Traut is the exclusive holder of the Waterberg Plateau concession. These can be very expensive buffalo, because the take is small and the genetics are incredible. He also has concessions in the Caprivi (where I took my first bull), the Kaokoland Tribal area (home of the Himba), and Kalahari. Simply great folks and he can tailor whatever you desire.

https://jamyhunts.com/hunts/
Hunted Kaokoland with Jaimie Traut last August. Truly wild area. Then got to interact with some of the Himba and see how they live. WOW. to see people that actually live like they do is a real eye opener.

Lon, I hope so too. I also hope I am wrong and I can bring my two grandsons over to your amazing continent.
Please do, Africa is a big continent there are so many exciting adventures to be lived. Unfortunately things are not getting better due to greenies, corrupt govt. population increase & decrease in education except for the fortunate few.

Don't worry Alt we will keep room on a hunters seat for your grandsons.

Lon

Wow. Thanks for all the discussions. We are in the process of finishing a gun/game room, and I still need a few more animals to complete it, so they will be coming back with me. Plus, I’m not sure I could take an animal and not bring the trophy portion home.

I have had many PM’s and I’m still working my way through them. I’m learning there really can be a vast price difference among country’s and hunts.

I will say this, hunting free range Zambia for my first big game hunt in Africa probably spoiled me. Being 2.5 hours from the closest tar road, and being in the middle of real, old Africa was very special. The Luangwa valley is amazing.

Btw. My wife said she won’t divorce me, but I have to take her and the girls to Greece first, and then figure out if they will come on the hunt with me, or come afterwords like they did last summer. Luckily, my wife and daughters fell in love with Africa.

Hi Alt,

I would have to disagree with you at least the way that we run our company. To date the only price increase that we have passed on to our clients has been the cost of quota.

Look at the web sites of some Safari companies. Congratulations to their fine work, but do you want to stay in a 5 star hotel and complain about the cost of your hunt. Or sleep and hunt like Theodore Roosevelt did, (I admit he had a fairly large staff). The point is do you want to pay for accommodations and taxidermy or a hunt and memories.

I hope that 5 or 15 years from now Liesl, my wife can provide blue collar, military & the financiall secure with affordable quality hunting.

Lon
Actually, I would love to sleep in tents and hunt like TR did? For a month in the dead of your WINTER (plenty of FROST) with no/few bugs or snakes! Living on wild game, Dinty More stew, Hormel chili, ramen and mustard sardine burritos. Maybe with some dried beans thrown in a pot of water over the campfire for good measure. The beer will stay cold in their cartons outside the tent. Oh, wait a minute, that's how I've elk hunted here a few times. LOL

Actually, I would love to sleep in tents and hunt like TR did? For a month in the dead of your WINTER (plenty of FROST) with no/few bugs or snakes! Living on wild game, Dinty More stew, Hormel chili, ramen and mustard sardine burritos. Maybe with some dried beans thrown in a pot of water over the campfire for good measure. The beer will stay cold in their cartons outside the tent. Oh, wait a minute, that's how I've elk hunted here a few times. LOL
Same here at deer camps.

I’ve posted before how our farm makes good use of the H2A program. I’ve had long conversations with these guys about illegal immigration and I think it makes them madder than many citizens.
I personally think the H2A program is a GREAT program and absolutely necessary in our country. Maybe it should be further expanded. They pay into the system and are rewarded with pay and Government benefits.

Wow. Thanks for all the discussions. We are in the process of finishing a gun/game room, and I still need a few more animals to complete it, so they will be coming back with me. Plus, I’m not sure I could take an animal and not bring the trophy portion home.

I have had many PM’s and I’m still working my way through them. I’m learning there really can be a vast price difference among country’s and hunts.

I will say this, hunting free range Zambia for my first big game hunt in Africa probably spoiled me. Being 2.5 hours from the closest tar road, and being in the middle of real, old Africa was very special. The Luangwa valley is amazing.

Btw. My wife said she won’t divorce me, but I have to take her and the girls to Greece first, and then figure out if they will come on the hunt with me, or come afterwords like they did last summer. Luckily, my wife and daughters fell in love with Africa.
You fly …. Pick a route with a couple day layover in Greece then carry onto Africa from there. You get Africa they get Greece, it’s a win for everyone except the bank account

Getting back to topic....

Africa prices, like everywhere else, will change due to supply and demand.

In 2008 I was on my first Safari, in RSA a Sable would set you back around 8.000 USD, a Roan 500 more. Today you can easily get them for half the price.

Rest of plainsgame has incresed, but not much, except for impala, which I paid at 270 USD, and now are around 450 USD.

Hyaenas have doubled in price during this period, so it all comes down to the number of animals available to hunt.

And why wouldn’t an outfitter charge what someone is willing to pay. I would much rather sell 1 roan for $8000 than 2 for $4000 each same money but only 1/2 the number of animals.
In my sod business I would much prefer to sell 1 pallet of grass for $100 than 2 for $50. We save on inventory and there is plenty of demand.

Getting back to topic....

Africa prices, like everywhere else, will change due to supply and demand.

In 2008 I was on my first Safari, in RSA a Sable would set you back around 8.000 USD, a Roan 500 more. Today you can easily get them for half the price.

Rest of plainsgame has incresed, but not much, except for impala, which I paid at 270 USD, and now are around 450 USD.

Hyaenas have doubled in price during this period, so it all comes down to the number of animals available to hunt.
Additional factors:

Economic status of foreign clients... or rather the often false impression...
more often than not most foreign countries assume all Americans and most Europeans that visit their respective country are rich....rich by the respective American or European country's standards.

Animals populations and availability to be hunted
Popularity and location to hunt specific animal(s)
Exportable or non exportable to home country
Hunt type baited or not baited

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
StuCred

Latest profile posts

FDP wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Good morning. I'll take all of them actually. Whats the next step? Thanks, Derek
Have a look af our latest post on the biggest roan i ever guided on!

I realize how hard the bug has bit. I’m on the cusp of safari #2 and I’m looking to plan #3 with my 11 year old a year from now while looking at my work schedule for overtime and computing the math of how many shifts are needed….
Safari Dave wrote on Kevin Peacocke's profile.
I'd like to get some too.

My wife (a biologist, like me) had to have a melanoma removed from her arm last fall.
Grat wrote on HUNTROMANIA's profile.
Hallo Marius- do you have possibilities for stags in September during the roar? Where are your hunting areas in Romania?