Advice Needed

WebleyGreene455

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Good evening, everyone.

This is going to be something of a long post, I reckon. It's as much a request for help and advice as a way to get my thoughts down on "paper" so to speak and lift some weight off my chest. So please bear with me if I seem to ramble a little bit. Here goes.

Simply put, I'm in need of a career change. Except I need more than a change, I need a start. You see, at the moment I'm technically employed by my parents as assistant manager of our rental properties (we own several across my hometown). That's all very well and good, it's money in the bank every month and aside from one person who skipped out on us, we've always had good, respectful tenants, some of whom have been with us for quite a few years. It's pretty lax, really. You don't have hours unless there's an issue, and there rarely is. Gives plenty of time to do other things like working out, spending time with family, and just doing everything else. But it's not a job. It's helpful for my parents, who're both retired, and for myself but it's not a career or even an occupation. I don't want to do this for the rest of my life, at least not as my only form of income.

Now, I graduated from college around five years ago with a Bachelor's Degree in history. At the time I simply didn't know what I wanted to do, and the job market wasn't exactly ripe with possibilities. It also didn't help that I needed to lose weight and get in better shape, because that was affecting my self-esteem after gaining quite a lot at college, and I was uneasy about starting at a gym because of it. I did, however, start working on losing weight and getting in better shape almost two years ago and now I weigh less than I did before I went to college and am physically stronger as well. I'll get to that part in a moment.

Over time I've looked at different ideas for jobs, ranging from work with the Smithsonian (I never found any suitable vacancies) to working for the Federal Government (living in DC or in Virginia just isn't feasible for a gun owner) and I have long considered other museum work or the Park Service at a historic site. I have a deep love for history, in particular military history, and I want to put that to good use. I've also wanted to get into historical reenacting for years but that's probably gonna have to be a hobby, since I've not found anywhere except for Civil War or Colonial American-era sites where you can do that and get paid for it (and that doesn't interest me; I'm into WWI/II or Vietnam-era).

Two years ago, I made the decision to do my damnedest to get into shape and go into the US Army with the goal of becoming a helicopter pilot or, bar that, go into Armor or Intelligence. However, I was unable to get myself in shape in time and coupled with my age, as well as coming to the understanding it wouldn't make me happy to be in the Army, I elected to set that aside but still continue working on myself. I am proud of myself for sticking with it so long and for getting to the point where I do not want to give up on myself no matter how little I feel I'm gaining or how little progress I feel I'm making. I want to keep at it and get myself into the best shape I'm able to.

So... after some thought and after being on this site for a few months now, I ask with full sincerity: What about becoming a PH? Is it doable for someone who's almost 29 and has never been hunting in his life? How do I start? Where do I start? What do I need to do? Is this even a good idea?

Like I said, I have no hunting experience. Shooting, yes, but not hunting. But I'm willing to learn. I want to hunt anyway, so I'll have to learn sooner or later, and why not consider making a living out of it? And so I have more questions, and concerns.

Is it possible to be an American PH and live/work both in the US and possibly overseas on a seasonal or case-by-case basis? Because I'm going to be honest. I do not want to move permanently to Africa. Hunt and visit, sure, but there's one thing about me that makes it... well, less than appealing (outside of the sheer number of horrific and terrifying snakes): Full disclosure, I am homosexual. And while some countries in Africa are OK with that, more of them are not. Some of them are really not okay with that, and depending on the country I wouldn't be able to bring a boyfriend or husband into the country with me safely, and I'd be concerned for him even if we were in a country that was fine with homosexuality.

For those who are or have been professional hunters, how did you get started? Why did you pursue that career path? For me, I think it'd be a chance to have an enjoyable career that allows me to go places and do things that others only are able to do once in a lifetime. If I'm not stuck in a 9-to-5 job all day every day, it would give me the opportunity to keep up with working out and hobbies. True, there's a part of me that craves the adventure of it all and wants to follow in the footsteps of some of the hunters, sportsmen, explorers, et cetera who've made names for themselves in history. Not that I have any illusions about my name joining them but I'd like to help people fulfill some of their dreams the way I want to fulfill my own. And, after all, since I just plain love guns, here's a job where having some really smashing guns and getting to use them can be a really fun perk.

But maybe I have the entirely wrong idea about this at all? Maybe this is the absolute most stupidest thing I could possibly think of? I have some doubts. But I think I want to do this, if it's doable.

So yeah, here's me asking for help, advice, suggestions, encouragement. On any topic I've mentioned in this thread, if it'll allay any fears or inspire me to pursue something.

Thank you,
~~W.G.455

I think you are selling your current career short. Passive money is the easiest money. I have been in banking for 15 years (similar to you, a degree in high school social studies teaching). Of all my clients over the years, the majority of those who went from nothing to more than comfortable did the same thing you are doing. Some of these people are respected property owners, others the super sketchy owners you see on Judge Judy...

There is nothing wrong with buying a 50k house, putting 15-20k into it to make sure it's not a total shithole, and renting it out to a vetted renter (ideally section 8 housing). If you haven't done so, form an LLC and develop a relationship with a small bank. You could go from 5 houses to 20 in a few years. It's a huge money maker for people who know what they are doing and, frankly, people who don't know what they are doing.

I say stay the course. Real jobs suck

I will say that you are not the only one wondering about that. I am 22 and did not go to college. I tried to join the army, but failed the hearing test. For 14 months they’ve been saying that as soon as they start to accept waivers that they will call me. I’m not holding my breath.
I work on the farm with my dad. It’s a living for now but I can’t do it forever. I love the free time in the summer and winter. It allows me to help a logger in the winter and pick up odd jobs in the summer. But I hate the 80 and 90 hour weeks I can experience the spring.
I was hoping for travel and adventure with the army. Now I’m still looking. It’s been a life long dream of mine to hunt in Africa. I would be lying if I said I haven’t considered getting paid for it by becoming a PH. But there is so much learning to do. I have no idea where to start.
Just know WG 455 you not alone.

Punch these into your google search engine:
ph course site:africahunting.com
ph school site:africahunting.com

There are plenty of threads on the topic.

https://www.africahunting.com/threads/newest-canadian-ph-in-south-africa-make-that-mozambique.6141/

@Wyatt Smith, if you do not like 90 hour work weeks, DO NOT BECOME A PH. Honestly.
@WebleyGreene455 Get out and try some hunting around your home and see how you like it.

Being a PH is a lifestyle.
It may appear to be an adventure but it is hard work and you have to love people and hunting to succeed.

Enjoy researching your dreams.

Hi Webley,

There’s definitely a lot that you’ve put in that post and it’s worth giving it the respect it deserves. I don’t want to step out of line here but something tells me there is more to this than just a job change, that this question is more a symptom of something bigger (much bigger) at play.

It might be worth investing a bit of time in yourself to figure out the why’s behind all this.

Having said that, if you want to be a PH, go for it! Just know that the job is endless grunt work. A PH’s day starts well before the hunter wakes and ends well after the hunter heads to bed and it’s not a Monday-Friday gig. You don’t get days off - if the hunter is there, you’re there. You typically get a fixed day pay (not much!) and largely live for tips. You’re personally responsible for food in the field, cooking, field dressing (depending), entertaining the client when it’s slow, your own vehicle for transport...and need to manage all repairs...

You have to want it, love it, live it every day. Wake up, put a smile on your face, and get it on. Your job is to make sure your clients have the best time they can.

That’s just the easy stuff.

There are a few PH’s on this board - I’d bet they’d be happy to chat with you about “the real world of the PH”.

Maybe consider something in between where you can maintain your current income stream.
Something like a booking agent or consultant. Some are terrible merely booking hunts for terrible outfits and taking money.
Others are great insuring a quality hunt with reputable outfitters.
Do the research, you would likely get discounted hunts yourself to be able to see what the outfitter really offers. Thus allowing you to travel and enjoy different places.
Just a thought

It sounds like there’s a lot of variables in your situation.

The next six months is going to be an interesting job market. The people in your generational cohort are probably going to experience a competitive job market for the first time. Many businesses will not return and those who do will likely be staffing thin and paying little (depending on the industry they are in). You have a job, hold onto it.

It sounds like you have lots of free time and a flexible schedule. The Ivy League colleges are offering free online courses right now. Worth looking at.

The possible career paths you’ve listed are pretty big commitments. Being a park ranger requires way more commitment than most people are aware. Being a PH is very much a lifestyle choice.

The good news is you are young and, presumably, free of many commitments that weigh down older folks. Now is the best time in your life to make these changes.

The path with the least resistance is to build on your existing strengths and competencies. A property manager should know a bit about home repair and basic construction. A history degree, desire to be outside and stay fit are useful too.

A buddy who has a history degree now renovated hoses in a historical area and flips them.

In my city, that depends on tourism, I know a woman who was a bartender for a long time. She bought a house to Air BNB. Included in her rental is a tour with a trip to go crabbing and a meal of the crabs after. It seems to me you may be uniquely qualified to manage short term rentals and give historical tours.

Rnovi’s point is probably the most important takeaway though. It sounds like you are dealing with a lot of discontent. Addressing exactly why you are feeling this way so that you can move forward with open eyes is the most important thing.

I would encourage you to visualize what a typical day will be like in every path you consider. If you see your future day-to-day being surrounded by people who are unaccepting of exactly who you are it is doubtful you will be happy in your career. Regardless of the hat you wear you are you.

I wish you luck in finding your way. Take solace in the fact that there are many people experiencing career ennui right now. You just get to have it before you’re middle age.

I would say it would be a good idea to hunt Africa a few times first. Then if you like hunting, maybe you could talk someone into letting you apprentice with them for several years. Then after your apprenticeship is over, you should know whether or not you're cut out for it. At least that's the approach I would take anyway.

Did I read correctly that you are 29, have never been hunting, but you are asking if becoming a PH is potentially a good move?

I cannot say for CERTAIN, but I would guess that 99.875% of people who attain your age without ever hunting would not succeed as a PH.

Not that you couldn't do it...you just won't want to. I say that because if hunting didn't find you in those first 29 years, chances are you won't have the passion needed to succeed at it as a PH.

If the passion was there, you would have already found a way into the bush, somehow - somewhere.

Just my (admittedly blunt) $0.02.

Best of luck to you!

While they're is never a guarantee of success, I am not sure how much money you would be able to net. One the PH's where I hunted and is now an outfitter came to Texas for a marketing trip and want to get together, I suspected to sell me a hunt. Turns out, it was for advice on where to move to in Texas. He wants to move this family here and he will commute back and forth for the hunting season. There is a Tanzania outfitter that lives a few miles from me who does the same thing. Good luck with what ever you do, but passive income is the best income.

Despite recent political changes, living in Virginia as a "gun owner" is still quite viable (trust me (y)). Maybe try hunting a little first, because that's the fun part of being a PH from what I have seen. The rest just looks like a lot of hard work for not a lot of cash.

Good evening everyone. Thank you for your replies. I'm gonna ask y'all to hold off on adding any more for the time being, please, so I can have a look at what's already been said.

I hunted in South Africa with Numzaan Safaris. For a few days we had an apprentice tag along. He was going to college at Baylor and was spending his summers apprenticing to be a PH. His mother worked for Delta so he skated on airfare. Great kid. You may want to contact Numzaan and inquire. They have a few reps in the USA.

@WebleyGreene455 & @Wyatt Smith I believe what you both are feeling is going to plague our generation. That feeling that it's all been done before? The world has become a small place. Our grand parents fought wars our parents brought about the world we know today.
You both need to find your purpose and the hard truth of it is no one can do it for you. The one piece of advice I can offer is don't be so quick to sell the family buisness/family farm short.
It's taken a lifetime to get where it is now and decisions you make know will effect you for the rest of your lives. There is nothing wrong with building on the work of your forefathers. If it doesn't feel like your own achievement own it! Build it bigger take it farther make it your own. If it really isn't what you want to do then find what it is you want but remember once a family business is gone you can't get it back.

Weeds are high were corn don't grow.

@WebleyGreene455 & @Wyatt Smith I believe what you both are feeling is going to plague our generation. That feeling that it's all been done before? The world has become a small place. Our grand parents fought wars our parents brought about the world we know today.
You both need to find your purpose and the hard truth of it is no one can do it for you. The one piece of advice I can offer is don't be so quick to sell the family buisness/family farm short.
It's taken a lifetime to get where it is now and decisions you make know will effect you for the rest of your lives. There is nothing wrong with building on the work of your forefathers. If it doesn't feel like your own achievement own it! Build it bigger take it farther make it your own. If it really isn't what you want to do then find what it is you want but remember once a family business is gone you can't get it back.

Weeds are high were corn don't grow.
To clarify, the rental properties are a fairly recent thing and are not and never have been my family's primary source of income. It was mostly a "Let's get some extra money during retirement" thing where my parents decided to put a condo they had up for rent when we didn't need to live in it anymore once I was around 5 (it was across the street from the school I went to and where my mom taught/was head librarian for decades). My dad, after his stint in the Army, went into the Corps of Engineers and was there for decades until he retired, then was a consulting engineer for several projects including a total redesign of half the aforementioned school.

I have no issue with maintaining the two LLCs that handle our rental properties as auxiliary income, although we'll possibly have to divide them between me and my sister at some point, and don't plan on getting rid of them unless it's just not feasible to keep. But I don't want it to be my only source of income. I agree with your sentiments about keeping family businesses if you can, but I think you had a slightly wrong idea about the situation.

To clarify, the rental properties are a fairly recent thing and are not and never have been my family's primary source of income. It was mostly a "Let's get some extra money during retirement" thing where my parents decided to put a condo they had up for rent when we didn't need to live in it anymore once I was around 5 (it was across the street from the school I went to and where my mom taught/was head librarian for decades). My dad, after his stint in the Army, went into the Corps of Engineers and was there for decades until he retired, then was a consulting engineer for several projects including a total redesign of half the aforementioned school.

I have no issue with maintaining the two LLCs that handle our rental properties as auxiliary income, although we'll possibly have to divide them between me and my sister at some point, and don't plan on getting rid of them unless it's just not feasible to keep. But I don't want it to be my only source of income. I agree with your sentiments about keeping family businesses if you can, but I think you had a slightly wrong idea about the situation.

Parts of that were also for wyatts benefit, from one farm kid to another.

Skinnersblade is wise beyond his years (i assume:Bookworm:) . Maybe try booking a one week hunt with a sponsored ph here with a stipulation that u wake up when he does, tag along every step of the,way then part ways at night when he goes to bed. I am in awe of these professionals and their job isn't easy or taken lightly. I wouldn't trade places with them.

Webley, Have you considered becoming a real estate agent? With your property management background and skills it might be a natural. I don't know what the real estate market is in your town but as long as there are people they will be looking for homes. Good luck on whatever path you choose.

Another thing to consider. I can't see a ph taking on an apprentice who's never killed anything, I mean absolutely no disrespect in saying that. Until you've pulled the trigger you or no one else knows if your capable. There's nothing that compares to taking a life everyone reacts differently when put in that situation. I'm not sure a professional would be willing to take that risk with his life and clients lives potentially on the line.

If your serious about becoming a ph I would start by learning to hunt in your area, you may find you love it you may find you don't have the stomach for it but you will definitely find out something about your self.

Again no disrespect and it's just my opinion and worth exactly what u paid for it.

Always follow your dreams, but sometimes you have to do so creatively.

I bought some family businesses I never thought I would end up in. It started for the money, there are certainly things I would enjoy doing less. And some I would enjoy more. But theres a lot to be said about income and flexibility.

I have taken what my dad started and put my own spin on it and have added other opportunities.

I basically decided that I couldn't make a sufficient living with my top passions in life. For example, I'm probably good enough to shoot 3 gun competitively for a living. But I would make less money for sure. So I do something that I pretty much enjoy most days that also gives me the flexibility and income to shoot, hunt, fish, etc pretty much as much as I want to.

Dont give up on dreams, but consider a solid flexible career that allows you to still enjoy such things. Passive income and self employment like your family business is not something to shrug off quickly. My advice would be to learn everything you can, eventually make it your own and take it to the next level and you will be very proud and be able to enjoy your passions or explore new ones (like hunting) with the freedom and funds that provides. Once a passion/hobby becomes a job it can take a lot of the enjoyment out of it as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VNCFlorida

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you