6-Bore Muzzle Loader ... Anyone Know, Ganyana, African Hunter Magazine?

TexasJake

AH member
Reaction score
Howdy,

I just traded into a 6-Bore single shot smooth bore "gun". I came across an article written in 2014 by Ganyana, African Hunter Magazine and I am not able to find any online presence for the periodical any longer. Their website does not load.

I was wondering if anyone knows this person as I would like to connect with him. I liked his article quite a bit and I am thinking of writing a book on Victorian Era firearms of adventure & exploration. Ganyana seems like he might be a good resource. I also want to pick his brain on this new acquisition.

Regards,
Jacob (Texas)

Bore 2.jpg
WM-GREENER-PERCUSSION-6-BORE-1851_102442636_34_83BCB781E843D88A.jpg
WM-GREENER-PERCUSSION-6-BORE-1851_102442636_34_474BD95116945E6F.jpg
WM-GREENER-PERCUSSION-6-BORE-1851_102442636_34_FCF19A3875A095F1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Ganyana was a great resource & I wish he was still about to help folks out but he has past on now.

He was Don Heath a Parks Ranger in Zim & later worked for Norma, great supporter & user of the 9.3X62 cartridge .

So that’s who Ganyana was. A friend gave me a stack of old African Hunter magazines.
I enjoyed the magazine and especially his writings.

That is Unfortunate. One of my goals in life is to create some sort of video library to capture as much of this knowledge as I can before it is lost. I am thinking I should start a crowd funding site to help pay for local videographers to go visit people and get their stories ... thoughts?

Beautiful! When’s it going for Buffalo or Elephant? Would be a great trip.

The African Hunting magazine (Zimbabwe Hunting Mag.) was a great magazine. No B.S. just good stories and info. I discarded or gave away so many, what I would give for a complete collection.

Lon

Ganyana/Don Heath tragically breathed his last in 2015. He was a true treasure trove of knowledge.

Historically, three hunters have been documented as using 6 bores-
Gordon Cumming (“A Dutch Rifle Carrying Six To The Pound”)
Hottentot Cigar (“A Heavy Old 6 Bore Muzzle Loader”)
Jan Viljoen A rare W.W Greener 6 bore breechloading hammer double rifle which is the only documented breechloading 6 bore that I know of)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LeilaPya51

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

We bagged a big old buff with hunter from Norway check out our post!!

I live in Tyler Texas. I like Ruger single action revolvers Ruger rifles, and Marlin and Winchester lever guns.
SETH RINGER wrote on tracker12's profile.
PARTITIONS
SEND ME PAYMENT INFO, PLEASE AND THANKS.
Khalanyoni Game Ranch wrote on Joshlee0518's profile.
Hi Joshlee0518 (please let me know if you are fine being addressed like that),

Thought I would drop you a PM. It is super exciting to plan a hunt and we are more than happy to assist you. Have you given any thought yet to which species you would like to take?

What do you hunt usually and which weapons/calibers are you using?

Look forward to swapping experiences and ideas.

Happy hunting - Daniel
Our trophy shed is filling up and we are only getting started,