If you had to Pick One of These Calibers for Dangerous Game, Which would it be?

• Total voters
One thing to remember is that literally, the only time I shoot a DG caliber gun off the bench is to get it sighted in. You pad your shoulder, put ear plugs in under a headset, get the rest up high so you are upright not leaning over low, don't crawl the stock and get through it. No need to hurry...take plenty of time. No need to hurry. Even if it takes a couple sessions. You survive that and you are home free.

After the sight in I am shooting these guns offhand and off sticks because that is how you will use them in the field. And shooting either of them offhand or off sticks is not bad at all.

Shooting them prone....whatever floats your boat but I see zero reason to. Same with bench after the sight in. I am not using these guns to reach animals 300-500 yards away. I am not gonna try and shoot a Buffalo or any DG past 130+\- yards max. And shooting DG is why you would have these guns.

I killed my Cape Buffalo in July with one shot from my .375 H&H at 85 yards. Stone dead with one shot. Even so, I have just purchased a Win 70 Safari Express in .416 and I have zero doubt I will be able to shoot it effectively...just got to survive the sight in process.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Greattemple

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on RR 314's profile.
HOW MUCH ARE THEY?? PLAIN? CAMO? THX, SETH
USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.
SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.