404 Jeffery Ammo, brass, bullets

Bwgunslinger

Reaction score
I’ve been reading on this site for a long time and decided to join. After shooting a Kimber Caprivi .375 on my first buffalo hunt in 2021, I decided to step it up a bit and get a 404 Jeffery.

I just purchased the rifle and Yikes! I think I just bought an expensive club lol. Luckily my dad reloads for his so I can at least shoot it a little.

Any clue when we might see some factory ammo released for this caliber? I see bullets from North Fork and Cutting Edge available but no brass. Maybe someone here could point me in the right direction?

I've really come to strongly appreciate this company for their excellent custom loaded ammunition.

They are offering .404 Jeffery ammunition with an option of the following bullet offerings:
- Barnes (400Gr Banded Solids & TSX)
- Cutting Edge Bullets (400Gr Safari Solids)
- Hornady (400Gr DGX Bonded)
- Northfork (400Gr Bonded Soft Point)
- Swift (400Gr A Frame)

The Cutting Edge Bullets Safari Solids & Swift A Frames are all you need for the perfect full bag African safari.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-09-24 at 7.33.14 AM.png
    Screenshot 2023-09-24 at 7.33.14 AM.png
    924.2 KB · Views: 64
Last edited by a moderator:

I've really come to strongly appreciate this company for their excellent custom loaded ammunition.

They are offering .404 Jeffery ammunition with an option of the following bullet offerings:
- Barnes (400Gr Banded Solids & TSX)
- Cutting Edge Bullets (400Gr Safari Solids)
- Hornady (400Gr DGX Bonded)
- Northfork (400Gr Bonded Soft Point)
- Swift (400Gr A Frame)

The Cutting Edge Bullets Safari Solids & Swift A Frames are all you need for the perfect full bag African safari.
Thank you. I will give these a go.

How about some info on your "new" 404.?

I just bagged a box of Hornady unprimed brass from a BC vendor. Eighty bucks Canadian to my door. Curious thing though, I opened the apparently new box and all brass had clearly been annealed. I have never seen new factory brass that was "unwashed." No powder residue visible in either primer pocket or tube but I thought I could feel a bit of a ridge on the mouth from trimming. Anyone else encounter this?

Just so you know, vendor only had one box of brass. I now have 57 good cases so should be okay for my lifetime (I'll be 71 this week). Powder and primers are now the pressing issue for me.

I just bagged a box of Hornady unprimed brass from a BC vendor. Eighty bucks Canadian to my door. Curious thing though, I opened the apparently new box and all brass had clearly been annealed. I have never seen new factory brass that was "unwashed." No powder residue visible in either primer pocket or tube but I thought I could feel a bit of a ridge on the mouth from trimming. Anyone else encounter this?

Just so you know, vendor only had one box of brass. I now have 57 good cases so should be okay for my lifetime (I'll be 71 this week). Powder and primers are now the pressing issue for me.
Big bore brass from Hornady shows signs of annealling.

Big bore brass from Hornady shows signs of annealling.
Thanks for clearing that up. With no powder residue in the primer cups the only thing I could think of, if it was once fired brass, is the shooter cleaned the cases before annealing them. That doesn't make sense. Who would do that? A normal person would clean them after annealing.

I ended up ordering some North Fork 430 grain solids to reload. Hoping to get those going about 2,250. Maybe they will get some softs in soon and then I can see if they both hit to same POI.

I use 400 Gr. Swift-A-Frames pushed by 84 Gr. of H4350. This load produces 2300 FPS and sub-MOA groups from both of my 404(s).

I use 400 Gr. Swift-A-Frames pushed by 84 Gr. of H4350. This load produces 2300 FPS and sub-MOA groups from both of my 404(s).
A-Frames are another I want to try. Always read positive reviews and they are definitely proven. One other bullet id like to try is the Cutting Edge brass solid. The brass solids were available when I checked a couple days ago. And surprisingly affordable.

My favorite in 404 is the 380 SS North Fork. Loaded at 2400, makes for a very versatile setup. Reloading international has them in stock. North Fork recently posted they are doing a big run of 400 SS so they should be available soon as well.

Cutting edge solids are great and as you said very affordable especially if you call them and buy in bulk.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NiamhEngla

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.
sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.