375h&h on elk

The .375 would be an “elk at any angle” caliber. This is inspiring me to bring my .375 out west this fall. I’ve usually used a .270 win or my now preferred 7 mm RM.

More importantly, 500 yards of crab rope and a winch!

We had a winch, but it was of no use in the 100 yard long field of boulders!

IMHO -

The following are the best elk cartridges:

1. .340 Weatherby
2. .300 Weatherby
3. .338 Winchester
4. .300 Winchester

A .375 H&H will certainly do the job, as will a .30/06, but there are better cartridges, especially if you are forced to take a long shot.

My New Mexico 5x5 was taken at a little over 400 yards with a .300 Weatherby.

With a 100 yard zero, you would need to aim 50 inches high at 500 yards with a .375.
IMG_3653.jpeg
I have done very well on elk over the years. Our crew rule is the buddy that helped most gets one of the whistlers. So very few of these are pairs. I did kill a couple with a 338 edge.
Most with a bow but pretty much every way except a spear.

We had a winch, but it was of no use in the 100 yard long field of boulders!
Our crew has three spools of rope with a 1/2 mile each. A really nice chainsaw wench and a pile of pack boards. With the right guys we can kill and have an elk on boards in 45 minutes. Then cover a mile or two with the pieces in a few hours.
But I prefer the rope I'm getting old.

View attachment 583686I have done very well on elk over the years. Our crew rule is the buddy that helped most gets one of the whistlers. So very few of these are pairs. I did kill a couple with a 338 edge.
Most with a bow but pretty much every way except a spear.

I tip my hat to you, sir!

I've only taken one 5x5 in New Mexico. I could have taken another 3 years later, but let my friend shoot it.

Three of us Georgia rednecks DYI hunted Wyoming this season.

My 25 year old son saw a few in heavy timber, but couldn't get a shot. The grizzly that he encountered kind of took the willingness to hunt heavy timber by himself away for the last couple of days.

When you make a 4,000 mile round trip via pickup truck, you only have so many options...

Going back to rifle cartridges for elk, as a guy who must travel a really long way to get to elk, I think I need a rifle/optic combination that lets me make a 500 yard shot ethical shot.

As a non-resident:

In Wyoming, I have 2 months of rifle hunting (October for bulls, November for cows and fawns).

In Colorado, I have 5-7 days, depending on the hunt.

In New Mexico, I have 5 days.

Last edited:
Heartiest congratulations to you & the Mrs. ! Once again, you have proven that the .375 Holland & Holland Magnum is the Swiss army knife of all rifle calibers. And the Swift A-Frame bullet mushroomed in a truly textbook manner.

I used the .375 Holland & Holland Magnum (a Remington Model 700 Custom) loaded with 300Gr Nosler Partition factory loads on a fine bull elk as well. It really does hammer them impressively.

If I could only have 1 rifle - .375 H&H

If 2 - a .22 LR

If 3 - a .30/06

In Georgia, USA, no limit on anything!

I killed thirteen elk and half a dozen moose with a 30-06. Plenty of gun. I tracked and shot most of them at less than seventy yards.
Moose is on the short list.
30-06 is a hell of a great cartridge I have a few but my favorite is a M24 want to be on a stiller predator. Built by bug holes inc. It shoots so good that it is like cheating.
I'm jealous that you get to kill moose at will.

Moose is on the short list.
30-06 is a hell of a great cartridge I have a few but my favorite is a M24 want to be on a stiller predator. Built by bug holes inc. It shoots so good that it is like cheating.
I'm jealous that you get to kill moose at will.
I stopped hunting moose here almost twenty years ago. Just couldn't be a part of the shitshow resource mismanagement any longer. Minute of moose is about pie plate diameter at 200 yards. Tack driver not required.

I stopped hunting moose here almost twenty years ago. Just couldn't be a part of the shitshow resource mismanagement any longer. Minute of moose is about pie plate diameter at 200 yards. Tack driver not required.
That's unfortunate but I understand Washington state has a leftist agenda and they want to stop all hunting.

IMG_2058.png
This is 500 yards with the 375 H&H with 300 Aframes. If steering with a good scope it's a cake walk.
I prefer the NF 2.5-10x32 for the job. Only downside is wind but that's why I practice couple times a week.

Just curious, what is the drop on say a .300 WM at 500 yards? Like 40"?
Totally depends on the bullet, altitude, etc. My 300wsm drops 37.5” at 500 yards at 9000ft elevation (where I hunt elk) shooting a factory 200gr Terminal Ascent at 2810fps. A 180gr Accubond will drop 34.8” under the same conditions.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SherlynSch

Latest profile posts

FDP wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Good morning. I'll take all of them actually. Whats the next step? Thanks, Derek
Have a look af our latest post on the biggest roan i ever guided on!

I realize how hard the bug has bit. I’m on the cusp of safari #2 and I’m looking to plan #3 with my 11 year old a year from now while looking at my work schedule for overtime and computing the math of how many shifts are needed….
Safari Dave wrote on Kevin Peacocke's profile.
I'd like to get some too.

My wife (a biologist, like me) had to have a melanoma removed from her arm last fall.
Grat wrote on HUNTROMANIA's profile.
Hallo Marius- do you have possibilities for stags in September during the roar? Where are your hunting areas in Romania?