375h&h on elk

FredIII

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
300 grain swift Aframe 75 grains of RL17 fed 215, 2610 fps
Rifle is a pre64 375 H&H that was cleaned up and bedded by Wisner.
Shot was 220 yards and very very affective.
My wife's elk was taken with a 7-08ai shooting 162 eldx.
IMG_2002.jpeg
IMG_1994.jpeg
IMG_1999.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_2042.jpeg
    4.6 MB · Views: 56
When I was 12-13 dad had John van patten build me a 358 Norma mag on a 03 Springfield for a elk hunt we had planned, parents got divorced and never went on the hunt. Used the gun for other things like range fun and a few deer, tried some gallery type loads with 357 bullets. Was broke and had to sell the rifle, I like it very much and the Norma mag was fun.

But if I was doing it today and building a belted magmun rifle for elk or similar sized game I'd probably would make it a 375 H&H.

Some nice animals and hope you all had fun.

Yes it was a muddy mess and I cleaned for hours before they went into the cooler.
I know how you feel. We hunt in a burn and we carry contractor trash bags or small tarps now to keep the meat clean while we work on it. Of course, we also use game bags.

Elk are a lot of work unless you can get a tractor to them. My bull this year fell 300 yards from one road and 100 from another. The 100 yard route was steeply uphill to a logging landing and out of the question. I went with the 300 yard route and it still was a killer.
received_1811573535948946.jpeg
received_766428305497362.jpeg

Not meant to hijack the thread. Just a demo of how much an "easy elk" can still be a ton of work.

IMG_1566.jpeg
IMG_1578.jpeg
I need to go on another elk hunt and use my 375
we have shot a fair amount of nilgai with 375 h&h 275gr , it’s such a versatile cartridge
congrats on a successful family hunt

Not meant to hijack the thread. Just a demo of how much an "easy elk" can still be a ton of work.
Absolutely no problem I hope everyone will share a picture or two if not more of there hunts. Thank you for sharing.
We use 9/16 crab line and a half a dozen blocks if I can get the truck with in a mile it's coming out whole.
IMG_1985.jpeg
IMG_1859.jpeg

A boat cleat in the receiver and they hit the road in one piece. Those two cows came out in the same pull. About 350 yards of line and a couple passes and they were on the road.

Absolutely no problem I hope everyone will share a picture or two if not more of there hunts. Thank you for sharing.
We use 9/16 crab line and a half a dozen blocks if I can get the truck with in a mile it's coming out whole.
View attachment 583660View attachment 583661
A boat cleat in the receiver and they hit the road in one piece. Those two cows came out in the same pull. About 350 yards of line and a couple passes and they were on the road.
My uncle Hank did it like this on moose when he lived in Maine, pretty nifty

@FredIII Congratulations!
Why carry a heavier gun when the 7-08ai works just the same! (I guess you don’t need to answer that.)
Moving an elk is massive work. It is amazing how easily a calm horse can drag an elk. Even more amazing is how fast a not-so-calm horse can drag and elk. Your crab line system seems safer!

I can't like that enough times.

I actually made a call to my logger buddy who was supposed to be running an operation just a few miles away. He answered the phone in a whisper asking what I needed. As it turned out he had a rifle in his hand and was hot on a little group of elk himself. He sent a text to his son in law who was still on the logging job and he came over to help bail us out.

@FredIII Congratulations!
Why carry a heavier gun when the 7-08ai works just the same! (I guess you don’t need to answer that.)
Moving an elk is massive work. It is amazing how easily a calm horse can drag an elk. Even more amazing is how fast a not-so-calm horse can drag and elk. Your crab line system seems safer!
The long story is I bought the rifle off an old friend I meet at the rifle range. He ended up being a class mate of my late grandfather and after 15 years of asking about the rifle he sold it to me with the promise I would kill a pile animal with it. This elk was the third animal I have taken with it. The first two were bison . The plan is a couple black bear and a Cape buffalo if my 404j is not done by 2025.
The rifle shoots sub moa to 750 yards that and the wife and kids shoot the 7-08ai's

IMHO -

The following are the best elk cartridges:

1. .340 Weatherby
2. .300 Weatherby
3. .338 Winchester
4. .300 Winchester

A .375 H&H will certainly do the job, as will a .30/06, but there are better cartridges, especially if you are forced to take a long shot.

My New Mexico 5x5 was taken at a little over 400 yards with a .300 Weatherby.

With a 100 yard zero, you would need to aim 50 inches high at 500 yards with a .375.

The .375 would be an “elk at any angle” caliber. This is inspiring me to bring my .375 out west this fall. I’ve usually used a .270 win or my now preferred 7 mm RM.

More importantly, 500 yards of crab rope and a winch!

My hunting buddy killed a 5x5 only 200-300 yards away from our truck, just as the sun was coming up on the side of a mountain one morning.

It took us the entire rest of the day to get the backstraps, tenderloins, quarters, skull and cape into the truck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SherlynSch

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

FDP wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Good morning. I'll take all of them actually. Whats the next step? Thanks, Derek
Have a look af our latest post on the biggest roan i ever guided on!

I realize how hard the bug has bit. I’m on the cusp of safari #2 and I’m looking to plan #3 with my 11 year old a year from now while looking at my work schedule for overtime and computing the math of how many shifts are needed….
Safari Dave wrote on Kevin Peacocke's profile.
I'd like to get some too.

My wife (a biologist, like me) had to have a melanoma removed from her arm last fall.
Grat wrote on HUNTROMANIA's profile.
Hallo Marius- do you have possibilities for stags in September during the roar? Where are your hunting areas in Romania?