375 Ruger conversion to 416 Ruger

swashington

AH veteran
Reaction score
Hey all, looking for some gunsmithing knowledge and advice. I am a lefty so getting rifles is somewhat of a challenge. I love my Ruger M77s and would like one in a 416 Ruger, which of course, they do not make. I am looking for info on what it would take to convert a 375 to a 416. From what I have read the cases are the same except for the necking. Therefore, I should only have to change out the barrel and chamber. Be kind here if I am wrong since I know very little about making rifles only shooting them.

Lastly, does anyone know of a reputable smith that can do this work.

Thanks in advance,

I have a .375 Ruger Guide Gun and am looking for a .416 Ruger. Yes, it would be well worth it IMO to see if JES could rebore it to .416.

Ruger did make a 416 Ruger African in a left hand configuration.
Model 47152
I search for one daily on the gun boards.

If you hand load you can get some pretty impressive loads in the 330 grain area.
But then there is the allure of the 416 Ruger or even the 458 Ruger Wildcat. A standard length action launching a 500 grain bullet!
full

Converting your rifle.
At one time Ruger would do this it s no longer the case.
At one time you could buy barrels from Ruger but again no longer the case.

So you are left with a custom job.
The re-barrel is the easy part. Pac-nor has the chamfering tools. Hart Shield, McGowan can all do a rebarrel but may not have the chamber cutting tools so there is added expense.
Then come the extras harder to source. NECG was who I was going to use but they are not taking work. https://www.newenglandcustomgun.com/
Barrel band front sight.
Barrel band sling mount.
If using a non cross bolt or stock with one cross bolt additional cross bolts.
While you're at it cut the stock and have a good recoil pad installed.
Refinish the barrel at the very least but probably the whole action.
Remove front sling point on wood stock and plug hole.
Have barrel threaded for muzzle break or suppressor. Your Shoulder will thank you.
Cost??? Still waiting for a couple of gunsmiths to get back with me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Spoke with him today, he does not have the tooling for this caliber. I am researching other places now.
Personally, I would not go the reboring route as I think it would take away weight and wall thickness of the barrel to an unreasonable level. Get a new barrel. I re-barreled a rifle and the cost wasn't too bad. The wait time to actually get the barrel was painfully slow, quoted 6 months and actual was 8 months.

Thanks for the input guys, I agree, putting a new barrel on is the way to go. Not concerned with the timeline as my trip with this gun isn't till 2026. As for the stock I am replacing the wood with an H&S precision. I spoke with them Monday and they will have their new left handed stocks for the ruger M77 out in the next few months. They already have them done but are working on getting the Ruger OEM orders completed before taking orders. Have three of them I need, one to get rid of that ugly laminate stock on my scout rifle, one for the Hawkeye 300 win mag, and one for the future DG rifle. Going to see if they can add some weight to that stock while I am at it. 8lbs is a little light for a 416. Now I just need to find someone to do the work.

The scout stock is cool! To bag it's a lefty a friend of mine has an Alaskan he wishes was a scout and wants the laminate stock for. Everybody says these rifles are too light but they handle great and the kick result isn't THAT bad.

I lived up in the Pacnorwest for 20 years and the laminate stock in not suited to extreme weather. It swells and delaminates when rained on like we had up there. I will admit we were elk hunting and getting rained on for 3-4 days solid. That being said, it is still a god awful ugly stock. Lol.

At the SHOT Show this year H&S Precision told me that the new Ruger stocks would be out in June. So it looks like they might be ahead of schedule.

The guide gun stock while ugly adds weight to the gun.

Axle2010 is right the 416 in the African (right handed) kicks but not all that bad with the muzzle break in place. Take it off and it has some added thump to it. Put a suppressor on it and it really calms it down. All of the rented guns in camp on our trip last year had suppressors on them, even the 375 H&H.

I lived up in the Pacnorwest for 20 years and the laminate stock in not suited to extreme weather. It swells and delaminates when rained on like we had up there. I will admit we were elk hunting and getting rained on for 3-4 days solid. That being said, it is still a god awful ugly stock. Lol.
Really? Hmm I may rethink putting a laminate on my Tikka then, I've always thought the laminated was pretty much impervious to weather that's why they use them for those of us they don't like composite stocks.

That is what I thought too, until I noticed the grip didn't feel right. It did affect accuracy but I am replacing it as soon as I can. It will be my back up rifle for next years Africa trip.

That brings up my next point, I love the feel and pointability of the scout, a 416 with a 20' barrel like in their guide gun would be the next best thing. But.... would the recoil increase significantly?

An option for your Ruger:

If you have a local gunsmith, 4D can rent you/him a reamer and go/no go gauges.

Attachments

• 416 Ruger - 4D Reamer Rentals.pdf
    861.9 KB · Views: 4
  • Fitting Services | Douglas Barrels.pdf
    626.4 KB · Views: 9
That is what I thought too, until I noticed the grip didn't feel right. It did affect accuracy but I am replacing it as soon as I can. It will be my back up rifle for next years Africa trip.

That brings up my next point, I love the feel and pointability of the scout, a 416 with a 20' barrel like in their guide gun would be the next best thing. But.... would the recoil increase significantly?
I wouldn't think so since the GG and the Alaskan both have 20 inchers and I don't hear much bad feedback about their recoil. I don't have much experience though, my African is the only 416 I've ever shot. I'm working my way up from 375 to 460 or 500J lol.

I wouldn't think so since the GG and the Alaskan both have 20 inchers and I don't hear much bad feedback about their recoil. I don't have much experience though, my African is the only 416 I've ever shot. I'm working my way up from 375 to 460 or 500J lol.
Where is South Georgia are you located, Northern Florida here.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EmileeCoblentz

Latest profile posts

cwpayton wrote on CM McKenzie's profile.
Sir ,is that picture of you packing the shoshone river trail thru buffalo pass? Im trying to get a plan togather for a ride. do you pack professionally or for pleasure. thanks
Cal {cwpayton}
ghay wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Is this rifle sold? If not what is the weight of it and do you know if there is enough difference in diameter between the 35W and the 9.3 to allow for a rebore to a 9.3x62 which is what I am after?
Thanks,
Gary (Just down the road in Springfield)
Woods wrote on Hunter-Habib's profile.
Forgive me if this is the incorrect area, I signed up to this forum just now because I wanted to be on the list to purchase a copy of your autobiography. Please feel free to pass my information along to whomever is selling. Thank you so much. I look forward to it!
I like the Tillie in my picture. They are supposed to fit loose (2 fingers inside hat band), have mesh for cooling, and hold their shape after washing.
SSG Joe wrote on piratensafaris's profile.
From one newbie to another, Welcome aboard!