375 H&H vs 416 Rem

MShort

AH member
Reaction score
I’m sure this has been asked many times but couldn’t find it via search

I really have no need for a medium/big bore except that I just want one just to have it. Only real hunting use outside of fun at the range would probably be elk and black bears. Maybe Africa eventually but mostly just a fun gun.

I’m leaning towards either a 375 H&H or 416 Remington but open to other calibers. Mainly just looking to see what others would choose if limiting it to one rifle for now and why they would choose same.

A 375 H&H is the go-to cartridge! Think of it as a .30-06 on steroids.
The 375's recoil is tolerable even with loads of 300 grain bullets at over 2600 fps muzzle velocity.
One can shoot a proper fitting and weight 375 H&H rifle from a prone position, if necessary. A 416 Rem (or Rigby) with 50% more foot pounds of recoil will be unpleasant, to say the least.

Some may find the recoil of a 416 Rem with 400 grain bullets at 2400 fps to be pleasant. Me, not so much. I shoot 416 Taylor, 416 Rem, and 500-416. All have noticeable recoil. My 375 H&H's are soft shooting enough that if I had a safe hunting area and something like a varmint VMax type bullet, I'd sight in for 200 yards and take it woodchuck (groundhog (Marmota monax)), hunting. That would be a hoot!

I shoot my 375 while sitting at a bench. For my 416's and larger I shoot only from a standing bench or rest.

Photos are of my standing bench and a 375 H&H at my sitting bench.
Third photo is of a pair of woodchucks I shot with a custom Pre-64 Model 70 Winchester chambered in .223 Rem. They are next to "Woody", a decoy that was originally an archery target.

IMG_20230531_174457545_HDR~2 - Resized-3.jpg
Shooting 375 wBarrel Cool_3.jpg
2023 11&12 223 Chucks-4.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
YTou did not mention the purpose for this rifle? DG hunt, or pleasure of ownership, or all rounder?

Undoubtedly you can use these two calibaers everywhere.

But for northern hemisphere 416 is overkill.
375 HH is globally universal.
416 is for African DG. Can be used for smaller game, including at northern hemisphere, but that is not the point of this caliber.

That being said:
Take 375 HH and you will have allarounder.
Take 416 you will have proper DG gun.
Take both, you have everything.
(Note, some people just love big guns, so why not?)

Hmmm tough one. I absolutely love my 416RM but to be honest a 375h&h is probably a better choice. The knock down difference between a 375 and a 416 on buff sized game is noticeable but if you weren’t hunting them regularly then 375. If you want more thump to play with, you’ll love 416.

Since you don't really need one, the 375 makes the most sense. You won't really need the 416 when you get it, either.

I like shooting my 416REM as much if not more than my 375h&h. It you want to reach out there, shoot 350s out of the 416.

I owned a 416RM and sold it because it was more than I needed with a 375H&H sitting right next to it. With some practice, nearly everyone can learn to shoot the 375. The 416 caliber is a significant step up, at least it was for me. I shot the 416RM well, but it was right at my recoil limit. For shootability and the ability to hunt EVERYTHING on the planet...the 375 is hard to beat.

If I were hunting DG on a more regular basis, I'd buy another 416RM or something like a 404J. I'd also dedicate myself to practice more because of the step up.

Lastly...regardless of caliber, make sure your rifle fits you properly. It makes a huge difference in felt recoil.

.375 Holland & Holland Magnum is far more versatile. Especially for your intended applications. It’s a great choice for everything except for body shots on bull elephants.

This is a small sample of what the .375 Holland & Holland Magnum has done for me over the years (till now).
IMG_1787.jpeg

IMG_1377.jpeg
IMG_1790.jpeg
IMG_1793.jpeg
IMG_1798.jpeg
IMG_1794.jpeg
IMG_1795.jpeg
IMG_1355.jpeg
IMG_1354.jpeg
IMG_1356.jpeg
IMG_1353.jpeg
IMG_1530.jpeg
IMG_1807.jpeg
IMG_1791.jpeg
IMG_1801.jpeg
IMG_1537.jpeg
IMG_1375.jpeg
IMG_1351.jpeg

Last edited:
I use 300gr TSX's in my 416RM and it works fine as a general purpose hunting rifle and its plenty fun to shoot. In fact, I've never used it for DG, just PG and medium to large game in North America.

-Matt

You are obviously thinking Africa! That means sooner or later DG with buffalo being most likely, most common. If just for NA game and only PG game in Africa, the 375 HH is the best choice. But if you can handle some extra recoil, the 416 Rem has more poop and works fine for most everything including DG.

I have both, though my 416 is a Hoffman, not Remington, but they’re nearly identical. Based on owning and loving both, if I was only going to get one or the other I’d go with the 375 H&H. It’s comfortable to shoot and packs plenty of punch for nearly anything. In fact, I’m taking both rifles and my 338 Win Mag on a hunt next month in the Selous with my son.

With modern bullets the 375 is an incredibly versatile cartridge. while many like lighter bullets, especially the mono metals, I prefer 300 grain bullets exclusively. We shoot a load of 70.0 grains of RL 15 with a Federal 215 primer which gives us 2,400 fps and it seems Barnes TSZ, Trophy Bonded Bearclaws, Swift A Frames and Cutting Edge solids all group well with this load. Even better, they all shoot near each other.

I expect you’ll be quite happy with a 375 H&H.

Both are wonderful calibers. I went 416 because both brothers had 375’s and I wanted to be different . I’ve used both the 416 rem and 416 Taylor improved on whitetail the last few years. I don’t find the 416’s recoil to be much worse than the 375, although 20 plus rounds of load development off the bench in the 416’s does become a little rough towards the end of the session. Since I’m only hunting whitetails I use the lighter bullets. Current loads for my 416 Taylor imp is 300 tsx at 2640 fps. My 416 rem load is the 340 woodleigh pp at 2700 fps. Both have worked excellent out to 300 yards for me. The 375 might be the more logical choice I guess especially to hunt with in North America. But the 416 rem is actually very versatile in my opinion also.

375 was my first choice but I also have a DG rifle in 404J.

A 375 with the right bullet is perfectly capable of taking anything on earth, as is a 416

I think the 375 is a bit more versatile and user friendly.

Proper bullet and shot placement is the key. :)

Well, I have them both. Can't say much about the 416 Rem, since I have not hunted with this particular rifle yet. I did take my 375 H&H with me to S. Africa, and truthfully, I was very impressed with the versatility of the 375. I took animals from around 90 yds to somewhere in the 300 range, and the 375 did its job. If you can, get them both and enjoy them. For me it's always a want vs. a need. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

2 x 375 H&H....one shorter barrel 22 to 24" 340gr bullets and another 25" 260 to 270gr bullets.....cover all your bases

Having taken black bear with both a .375 H&H and a .416 Ruger, I will definitely vote for the .375. You will get more use out of it. I now own a .375 Ruger just because I wanted something handy and stainless without having to buy a Kimber or make my own. I load it to be the H&H's twin.

The .375 H&H passed through the bears near shoulder, turning it to pudding, then punched the near lung, the top of the heart, the off lung, and came out just north of the rear leg if I remember correctly. All said, about 3.5 ft of penetration and the exit hole was only about the size of a quarter. 300 grain Hornady Interlock RN loaded to about 2,500 fps. Bear dropped to the shot, rolled down the hill about 15 yards and was dead when he came to a rest.

The .416 blew another bears shoulders (both of them) to pudding on a side on pass through. When I recovered from the recoil the bear was a lump of black fur with a dust cloud hanging over him. 340 grain woodleigh PP at 2,550 fps. Exit wound was the size of a softball.

.375 is easier to shoot, hits plenty hard and has a larger array of bullets and loads available.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LavadaMacG

Latest profile posts

sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.
Vonfergus wrote on JamesJ's profile.
I am interested in the Double
Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.